Races on TV, and a couple of questions.

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

PJQ2

Races on TV, and a couple of questions.

Post by PJQ2 »

Hi,

Pete here, one third of the film crew at this year's event. Not the British guys, but filming for Melbourne Channel 31 show "Two Wheel Torque". We focused on bike teams and hopefully weren't too annoying.

We had a fantastic time, but all three of us have come down with:
Salt Fever!

Tex (the Talent) is determined to have a Charger finished for next year.
Mark (sound guy - Boomer) and myself (the Eyes) are thinking a second hand Formula Vee might be a good training vehicle.

You can pick one up for about five G's - with a trailer. Being all Volksie bits, it's easy enough for a couple of clowns like us to work on (no computers or fancy electrics). We're not going to break any records - but then you never know. Are we nuts, or is it just... The Fever?

Has a Formula Vee, or Ford, or similar class of racer been run before?
I notice there's a classification for Oval Track racer listed on the web site.

I'm in the middle of chopping up the footage for the TV show. Should be ready in a couple of weeks. If anyone's interested we'll make a video available for the cost of a blank tape and postage.
This video will include the episode of the show plus an unedited version of the interviews with bike riders (there's a lot being chopped out for the show). There's nothing about four wheeled vehicles as the show has a strictly two wheeled flavour.

Will notify this forum of the show time and video availability.

PS. I feel I should point out, there's no commercial interest here. We aren't paid for the TV show work, which is put together by bike racers, their friends, and anyone owing them a favour.
Regs,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories
DLRA
Site Admin

video

Post by DLRA »

G'Day Pete,
Great to hear you and your buddies had such a great time on the salt. Seems to affect everyone the same way.

The oval track class is more for speedway type cars than those that can turn left and right. So far as classes go, you really get to select you class, but if you start getting serious and breaking records etc then you have to prove that you comply to that class. ie you present a car as a G/GL that's what it gets scruitinered as and that's the record you have to beat.

So far as the video geos I'm sure that there are a number of members that would love to get a copy. Let me know when its available and I'll add a page to the DLRA site like we did with a previous video

Look forward to seeing the final production....
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
John Broughan

Post by John Broughan »

Pete, I agree with Greg. An open wheeler circuit car would probably meet the class requirements for Lakester. I think though that you will have a lot of trouble meeting the safety requirements with respect to roll cage size and thickness. I would think that circuit cars would be built with a relatively light tube, rather than the inch and 5/8 or inch and 3/4 that we look for. My opinion is that something like a VK commodore would be the cheapest and easiest car to prepare. Bikes are easiest, as you require very few safety mods. A small lakester can be relatively cheap to build, but requires massive manhours. Also no racecar is cheap, it is just relavely cheap compared to something else. There were a few cars there this year that would have been relatively cheap, Don Noble's Skyline, Leigh Russell's Suzuki, Gnome racing's Torana, Grey power's FJ. Still up to $5000 by the time you add in drivers suit, helmet, harness etc ($1000 - $1500). Fire system ($500 - $1000). Engine ($0-5000).
The faster production cars would have up to 10 or 15 thousand in the engines.

My best advice to anyone looking to build or modify/purchase a car is to buy the rule book, and read it very carefully, and more than once.
John Broughan
Empty Pockets Racing
200 MPH club life member
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

:D
yeppers I'll have a copy of the tape when ready no probs
gary #282
David Leikvold

Formula Vee

Post by David Leikvold »

I love Vees (I used to race one) but as they are barely able to crack the ton they wouldn't be much fun at the salt. Besides, the rules require a Top Fuel style roll cage for lakesters so even though it would be a lot of work (read fun) to build a real lakester at least it would be legal over 125mph and would do a much better job on the salt without necessarily breaking the bank. If you wanted to build a quick lakester for about $5,000 I'd think about buying a statutory write off motorcycle at the auctions, (R1, GSXR, Hayabusa, etc) an import Toyota supercharger ($400), a solid mounted rear axle from a kart, VW front uprights (with disc brakes) from the ball joint front end, fabricated oval furniture tube wishbones attached to a mono shock from the back of the bike, skinny OE wheels and 185/50ZR15 tyres. With some ingenuity that's a long course car. See you later, I'm off to the auctions!
PJQ2

The Vid is finished!

Post by PJQ2 »

Well finally, and with no legitimate excuse, other than life getting in the way, the video of interviews with bike racers is ready.

It hasn't been on the tele yet and is supposed to be released after the show airs, but with March sneaking up, and excitement building I thought we may as well fuel things up a bit.

It was made for a 20 minute show called "Two Wheel Torque", Tuesday 7:30 PM, on Melbourne's Channel 31.
It's 17 minutes of mostly bikes and their riders talking about: runs, gearing, problems, gearing, the salt, gearing, motors, gearing, tyres, gearing... get the hint.

If you want a copy on VHS tape get your name and address to me. As stated earlier, this is not a money-making exercise. There'll be a charge for a padded mailing bag and the postage. I'll reply to you with cost details and we'll work something out for payment.

Contact details for Peter Quick:
email: pjq@neubauten.org
phone: (03) 9672 3286

Carlton North
Victoria, 3054

Note: If we're swamped with orders there will be a delay. Will let the forum know if that happens.

More notes: For anyone thinking of filming the event professionally.
Forms must be filled in and money paid BEFORE filming in any Australian National Park. The races are no exception. Be prepared - it ain't cheap. The video discussed here was made exclusively for a community television station and everyone involved with the production volunteers. We were exempted from the fees but still had to go through the red-tape.

We'll see you out there in a few weeks. Attempts to get a car ready are miles behind schedule so it's spectator for me - again - Damn it!

Channel 31 web site.
http://www.channel31.org.au/
Regs,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories
Kezza

Re: Races on TV, and a couple of questions.

Post by Kezza »

Hi, I am looking for the TV Channel in Brisbane but unable to find here. need help!
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Kezza, this post was made back in 2004
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
GodSilla

Post by GodSilla »

I wondered where old threads go to die........
Member 1241