Number 2 Stream Lakester

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

gidge348

Number 2 Stream Lakester

Post by gidge348 »

Yes it did run, had a 500cc 4 cylinder bike 2 stroke, sorry can't remember the guy's name but is one of the "Founding Fathers" of DLRA hence number 2.

Had quite a few problems getting the 2 stroke to run on all 4 cylinders I belive he will be changeing it for an Essex (?) engine.
gidge348

Post by gidge348 »

Dam should have hit post reply to previous ....... Home brew is doing the trick.....
geocacher

Post by geocacher »

It was Andy Jenkins vehicle and ran on Thursday unsuccessfully. I watched from the canteen and felt sorry for Andy.

I hope he has a better year next year.

Dave
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Andy should have installed one of these.
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
Dr Goggles

G whizz

Post by Dr Goggles »

funny, I thought that was what Cher wore in that video where she's on the big boat :lol: :lol:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
David Leikvold

good one

Post by David Leikvold »

I had a good look at that lakester a couple of times. The design was right and it was very nicely put together. No weird or just plain stupid ideas either. Plenty of space inside for driver and running gear, good quality workmanship throughout and room for all sorts of bike motors if he decides to upgrade. Definitely wasn't on my list of junk cars.
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Have you started a list Dave?
David Leikvold

oh the humanity!

Post by David Leikvold »

No, but the horror of just a couple of the cars (no names, no pack drill) is burned into my brain!
As you well know, Trevor's car is built properly, as anyone who cares to check out his web page can see for themselves. It is a thing of beauty and built to a standard anyone could achieve with some care. A good build does NOT have to cost cubic dollars. I think the trouble is that some builders may have had little or no opportunity to see how other race cars look before they start building. I also suspect some were built with whatever was left over from a lifetime of other projects with almost nothing bought in new for the job. But there's nothing wrong with that either if you start with good pieces. My only gripe is when the end result is rough as guts ugly with no thought given to aerodynamics and has trouble getting through scrutineering.

Which raises another point, if more cars were built to a high quality standard scrutineering wouldn't take nearly as long as it did. Junk cars slow everyone down. So, if you're thinking of building a car, do a lot of planning first. Go to a hot rod show and try to set your sights at close to that standard. Good paint, smooth body panels, good fasteners and most of all, attention to detail is what makes them so good. See how other cars from other forms of motorsport are built and then build to a high standard with careful attention to engineering detail and an understanding that building the car properly is half the fun and will be SOMETHING TO BE GENUINELY PROUD OF.

So here's a quick list of just some of the cars that I thought were done properly: Bob Ellis's Falcon is a prime example of a car built well. It has perfect paint inside and out combined with good graphics, the workmanship is spot on and the car is fast, which by the way is NOT a coincidence. Others include Al Fountain's absolutely immaculate belly tank which wouldn't look out of place at any hot rod show, you could eat your dinner of any part of the orange EF sedan with the 347, Norm's Taxi - same again, the grey VW beetle, Animal's shiny new D/GL, almost every single bike there, Al Jenkins's lakester which I've already mentioned, etc, etc.

Do you really want to build a car that people look at and NEVER congratulate you on a job well done? Or even worse, make sarcastic remarks to their mates as they walk away shaking their heads.
SPOOK

Number 2 stream lakester

Post by SPOOK »

David, Would you be kind enough to send fotos of all vehicles that you raced in the past and the car that you are contructing at the moment so that we poor battlers with limited money can get an idea of what you consider is the degree of immaculacy we should strive to attain. Many thanks . Spook
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

Hey Spook,
Found this piccy of Dave's Celica Project that he posted way back on this forum.
As they say one picture is worth a thousand words!!

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6982/frontwc8.jpg
Build Diary Link is.
http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683

NUDGE NUDGE :wink: :wink: SAY NO MORE :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by Cookey on Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

well done Cookey :lol: :lol: ,,,,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
REAL Stan

Post by REAL Stan »

wana hope nothing ever falls off on the celica :oops:
STAN.#744

Our body cells renew themselves while we sleep
If only our wallets would do the same.....
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

There will be a lot of volunteers to tech inspect that car !!! Pete. DLRA #6
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

I've just finished sending off a PM to another member who asked similar questions and more, so here's a quick precis for anyone else who might be wondering. I'm 54 and have been involved at various levels of amateur motorsport for a long time. I have successfully raced Formula Vees in the 70's (google my name and formula vee, you'll probably find something). I have some Channel 7 race videos, now on DVD, from 1979 at Amaroo Park that I might show you sometime if you ask nicely. In the '80's I raced sprint karts and prepared and crewed Formula Fords and other CAMS style race cars here and overseas. All of them were very presentable and never had trouble at scrutineering or failed to finish a race because of careless preparation. In the '90's I was sporadically involved with crewing for various cars and karts. I'm not new to motorsport, I'm just a first time visitor to the salt who intends to race there in a few years. I currently have a Celica ST162 in the backyard waiting patiently for more attention, photos of it and more details are on my thread "How's the Celica going, Dave?" in the Queensland Timing Association section. It isn't impressive yet, it is just stripped out and I'm cutting out the wheel arches for tubs as the car will be only a couple of inches off the salt when it finally runs in F/BFCC. Because I also have no money of any consequence I can't afford to finish it any time soon and I'm also very time poor, so I am currently devoting my energies every Tuesday after work to helping Trevor Slaughter with his F/BFS streamliner. Check out his website photo gallery for more details.

More importantly, don't get upset with me just because I have the temerity to point out the obvious. A few of the cars at Speedweek could have been A LOT better prepared and a lot safer with just a little effort and attention to detail. Big dollars aren't necessary. I'm guessing you're upset because you think I might have been talking about your car. As I don't know who you are or what car you race I can't be sure. If your car is presentable I wasn't talking about you.

So what "degree of immaculacy" meets my exacting standards? Come to scrutineering next year and find out!

Here's a few ideas. The car should be safe and legal. That's not too much to ask. A few things about that spring to mind. A firewall should be able to actually stop a fire getting to a driver, not just be a panel between engine and driver. Some open top cars didn't comply with that very important rule. Window nets seemed very scarce. Fuel lines weren't always braided lines. Fuel lines shouldn't go anywhere near exhaust systems. Fuel lines that run through or into a cockpit aren't legal. Fuel lines that have unions in the cockpit are dangerous. Fuel lines that have a shutoff valve with unions in the cockpit are more dangerous. Fuel shutoffs should be remotely operated by the driver and near the engine and/or near the fuel tank. The fuel tank should be well restrained by wide straps so it doesn't tear off in a biggie. Has everyone proved they run a steel flywheel and not the cast iron original? Did everyone have scattershields or flak blankets or proper blower straps? Some fire extinguisher nozzles were just rough cut odd bits of brake line which couldn't have sprayed anything other than a random line of extinguishant. Proper nozzles won't break the bank and will do the job properly. One car presented without a fuel tank rollover vent, they just had a threaded insert filled with a plastic plug. Another car had critical suspension bolts with no thread sticking out past the nuts. One car had a 5 point harness when the rules specify a 7 point harness. Some cars were let run with no rollbar padding of any consequence while others were made to buy and use that rock hard SFI "padding".

Some cars had road tyres that were clearly VERY second hand before they came to the salt. That's not a rule but it just makes sense to buy new tyres so you can be reasonably sure they won't fail at speed. Even Z rated road tyres are cheap as chips compared to the Goodyear salt tyres. No race cars or bikes should have any spring washers and plain nuts anywhere. There should be lockwire in appropriate places, the lockwiring should be correctly done. There should be no ungraded bolts anywhere. Fuel and oil lines should be well secured. Assuming a car actually has front brakes, the brake lines should be placed so they can't chafe on anything at either lock. Obvious markings of battery isolators inside and outside the vehicle would be nice as would the same for fire systems. Wiring harnesses should be neat and tidy. There should be no bare metal and no visible rust. The rules specify that the cars should be presented in a good standard, maybe it's time this rule was policed. It would only be an imposition on those who don't care what their car looks like. This is all simple stuff and very cheap and easy to do, whether car is in build or already running.

I hope this helps clear up any misunderstandings.

Cheers

Dave
David Leikvold

wow

Post by David Leikvold »

Yes, it's a beautiful setup in my backyard. I had to make a few decisions before I started. Do I build a proper shed and buy a proper engine hoist and lots of other useful gear and have no money left for the car or do I make do and just use a tarp and some steel I had lying around and hope that the money to finish the car will turn up because I haven't spent it on anything but the car. Don't worry about scrutineering fellas, the car will be good, even if the tarp isn't.