Number 2 Stream Lakester

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

gidge348

Post by gidge348 »

David, I think you are right there were a few cars there that were shall we say...... not what would be expected to pass scrutineering.

I think the scrutineers did a fantastic in giving ideas to people on how to get their cars at least up to an acceptable level. Unfortunately some people took it to heart and went off about the scrutineers being unreasonable. The other option would be for the scrutineers to tell people to pack up their gear and get lost, this would have seen some VERY upset people.

When you think about it if there was a problem with one of these cars that resulted in a death, it would be the scrutineers that would have to front up to the coroners court and possibly face charges. I take my hat off to them, they did everything in their power to LET people race once they had addressed the worst of the problems.

The problem with this sport is that we get to run so rarely and we all come from all over the country so getting together for scrutineering prior the event is very difficult. Also a lot of the competitors are basically first time competitors in motor racing and simply don’t what is expected or why it is important.

Maybe this is something to be looked at, possibly a workshop in each state on machine preparation and why the rules are as they are.

I remember talking to one fellow that was grumbling about having to fix holes in his fire wall and could not see why it was such a big deal. When I explained that if his engine threw a rod (as looked likely) oil would go all over his headers (that would be red hot) more than likely over the flash point of the oil so there would more than likely be a fire.

Then because the engine bay looked like a high pressure area and the cockpit looked like a low pressure are he would be sitting in front of an oxy set with a 10 foot flame spraying red hot burning oil on him. Once I had explained it he seemed to get the point and no more grumbling.
David Leikvold

liability

Post by David Leikvold »

You're right gidge, if someone was killed or maimed because their car was allowed through scrutineering even though it was unsafe, that would probably mean the end of the DLRA. Our insurance company would dump us forever and no one else would touch us. The only way out of that mess would be if a new club was formed with a different name and different office bearers and became CAMS affiliated so that we could get insurance coverage. CAMS isn't everyone's cup of tea around these parts so let's not have to go there.
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
nitro-nige

Post by nitro-nige »

Maybe the scrutineering scene in the World's Fastest Indian movie has created bad ideas for people.
From a couple of posts on here it sounds like a couple of bad precedents may have been set at speedweek. Although that's only hearsay.
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

from a scrutineers viewpoint problems mostly arise from one of these
1.builder / owner /racer has not read the rule book
2."" " " " has read the rule book but has interpreted the rules incorrectly and/or not sort guidance from a scrutineer during the build process
3. has read the rule book but has choosen to ignore it for what ever reason and pleads ignorance at scrutineering

I would strongly advise that before starting a build ,get the rules ,then when building ring the scrutineer and seek advice if you are unsure of something ,or to clarify a meaning ,expect to be knocked back if something is not up to scratch ,especially if it concerns fafety items .
Its not plesant for the scruts to have to send you away ,nor for the racer ,so do it right and please seek help if you want assistance
cheers
gary (motorcycle scrutineer )
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
gidge348

Post by gidge348 »

I still think the education is the answer, just a thought, but if we could get a couple of scrutineers together and a car, and video camera.

Then go over the car piece by piece pointing out things as they go that they are looking for. Then also point out WHY they are important, what the forces, tempretures and other dangers are involved in an accident.

This could then be put on YouTube and everone encouraged to look at it.
Dr Goggles

he's got something

Post by Dr Goggles »

gidge348 wrote:I still think the education is the answer, just a thought, but if we could get a couple of scrutineers together and a car, and video camera.

Then go over the car piece by piece pointing out things as they go that they are looking for. Then also point out WHY they are important, what the forces, tempretures and other dangers are involved in an accident.

This could then be put on YouTube and everone encouraged to look at it.

.that's not a bad idea. :wink: :wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Rob

Post by Rob »

gidge348 wrote:This could then be put on YouTube and everone encouraged to look at it.

Burn it to CD/DVD for sale at a nominal fee to help the club. Perhaps one, or one section, for each general vehicle type.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

What a damn fine idea gidge348, :idea: as a matter of fact a bloody excellent idea :wink: but would suggest keep it on the DLRA site rather than Youtube it.
Just my thoughts, a none racer but long time attendee to Lake G :D
Cheers,
Trevor #298
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

hawkwind racing wrote:from a scrutineers viewpoint problems mostly arise from one of these
1.builder / owner /racer has not read the rule book
2."" " " " has read the rule book but has interpreted the rules incorrectly and/or not sort guidance from a scrutineer during the build process
3. has read the rule book but has choosen to ignore it for what ever reason and pleads ignorance at scrutineering

gary (motorcycle scrutineer )

So the lesson today is to read the rules, and the final page in the rule book that is the scrutineering form. Look at your car or bike, and don't interpret the rules. It's either yes or no. It's not a negotiation.
It seems a shame to come all the way from wherever to find that without a $5.00 steel valve stem or because you chose to ignore the rule about perforated leathers, that you are a spectator.
And remember that the scrutineers who are volunteers have been standing in the sun all day and are signing their name to something that you have built
grayem (other motorcycle scrutineer)
They make it
I make it work
gidge348

Post by gidge348 »

OK

I would be interested in what Grayem & Garry think of the video idea?

Would you be prepared to stand in front of a camera and go through a scrutineering sheet?

I know the rules are all written down, but as the old saying goes ....a picture tells a thousand words?

If so what states are you in and what states are the car scrutineers in?
momec

Post by momec »

Bobs in Qld and I have a Video Camera.

Could do Bobs car, my ute and Matthews Topilino then progress to an in construction Slaughter streamliner or is that too ambitious?

I'm willing
Chris
Acme Racing #251
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Easy to say as i'm not doing it but ..
how about 1 sedan/ute, one specialty like Slaughters liner and one bike

if the bike is not available there even a series of photo's as examples to attach to the build rules, wire ties, fuel lines, lanyards, etc i could do that easy if needed (subject to the scruitineers ok before publication)
gidge348

Post by gidge348 »

Greg Watters wrote:Easy to say as i'm not doing it but ..
how about 1 sedan/ute, one specialty like Slaughters liner and one bike

if the bike is not available there even a series of photo's as examples to attach to the build rules, wire ties, fuel lines, lanyards, etc i could do that easy if needed (subject to the scruitineers ok before publication)

C Hanlon Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:32 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bobs in Qld and I have a Video Camera.

Could do Bobs car, my ute and Matthews Topilino then progress to an in construction Slaughter streamliner or is that too ambitious?

I'm willing
Chris

Yes that sounds fine, just bear in mind this does not have to be perfect, just a work in progress.

Once the first one is done I am sure people are going to come up with ideas on how to do this or that better.

Even the simplest video is batter than no video at all...?
momec

Post by momec »

Yeah Greg
I'd be happy to add bikes but we don't have a bike scuit here.

If someone sends a video of the bike part I can splice the 2 videos together. Can't be that hard, got a program called Nero that I'm still nutting out but would be an interesting project. :?

Chris
Acme Racing #251