GPS TIMING FOR PROPOSED SHORT COURSE

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

Rob

Post by Rob »

Cookey,

No worries, I think I'll be passing on the Pimms mate :?

Nice presentation box by the way!

People that don't make mistakes aren't trying anything new!

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Just had a random thought on the GPS units.

Should we number them and record the unit number alongside the bike/car number when issued? If one goes awol for any reason we know who to chase up.

Also has anyone thought to make up a record sheet for the GPS units? I'm happy to do so if needs be, print a heap and bring with me along with a clip board and attached pen.

I was thinking Vehicle#, driver/rider #, GPS # Issued, Speed recorded, GPS returned (initial of officer), signature of recording official.

Cheers,
Rob
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Rob,
I was talking to I think Cookey the other week about the GPS track.
There's a couple of things.
We need to record the speeds against the vehicle when it is returned, I was intending to have printed sheets very similar to what you see on the 2010 Entry list online ,only with a bit more room if an entrant get multiple runs in a day (maybe 2 or 3 lines). Now rather than have another piece of paper, I could include a column or space next to each run where the GPS number gets recorded. What do you think?

Of more concern is just how the whole thing is going to work...
There will need to be a tent set up at the entrance to the pits where entrants return their GPS and get their speed recorded on the sheet.
But entrants queued up at Pre Stage will have to come to the GPS tent and wait until they get a GPS before heading off to the start line

I think his is gunna be a headache for the Pre Stage guys 'cause they are going to have to make sure the next bunch of ten have their GPS before they can be sent off.

Couple of things that may make it easier.
*All vehicles using the GPS track get a bright sticker afixed to the windscreen or headlight, so they can be identified by the GPS tent and stopped on the way in.
*We make it the responsibility to the entrants to pick up and return the GPS units to a central point (GPS tent) otherwise we are gunna have guys running all over the place.
* The Pre Stage guys give out a numbered ticket as each entrant lines up, that way they can never get out of line. These tickets can also be used by the GPS Gear Steward to make sure that the "next ten" get a GPS, not just anyone who rocks up.

Well that's a start but I think you can see where I'm coming from.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Rob

Post by Rob »

G'day Greg,

I think as long as we record the GPS number alongside the driver # for each run we'll be ok. I'm not suggesting that someone is going to pinch one, just that delays happen, crisis happen and things get overlooked. If we have a space to record issued/returned it should be easy to locate a lost GPS then call for its return on the radio if needs be. Easier and faster than someone running about in the heat.

I believe it should be the responsibility of the rider/driver to return the GPS to the staging lanes and have his/her time recorded thereby negating the need for another tent and volunteer position(s). No GPS returned = no time recorded, a great incentive.

A simple sheet of paper with the vehicles numbers listed in starting order, given to the first entrant of the ten to run would work fine. He/she passes it to the starter at the start line. Only one piece of paper, the person carrying it is obviously first cab off the rank. One single file line for the GPS course should make it easy to assure #11 in the line doesn't get a GPS this time around. I'd also suggest if the rider/driver isn't with their vehicle when the GPS is issued they move to #11 in line.

The only downfall to the windscreen sticker idea is if they swap to the long course it needs to come off, then if they swap back.. Just being the devils advocate here. Make the entrant responsible for it's return and we should not have to worryabout it.

Ultimately, whatever we decide now will be changed, it's the nature of the beast. As long as we improve with each year (or change) we'll be all right.

Cheers,
Rob
penny

Post by penny »

not forgetting that 50 percent in stage may have their own GPS then that will lessen the work load on the gps steward , thus it may not be much of a holdup awaiting a club unit to be returned. Also if they ge to the startline and the long course is vacant so be it , they run that and they still carry the GPS through the run.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I disagree with the last line Paul,

To save any confusion, given there are two seperate start lines, the line they select in stage is the line they run on. Remembering that a set of ten entrants is sent to a line at a given time with some sort of numerical order.

Cheers,
Rob
PJQ2

Post by PJQ2 »

I have zero experience with GPS units, so this might be a dumb question…

just wondering about mountings for loan GPS units. If they’re given to the car/bike before a run, then returned straight after, that’s a lot of fix/unfixing. Do they work properly in a jacket pocket (thinking about bike riders here). Do they need to sit clear of interference, like close to car window, etc.

*** Read the whole thread drongo...
From page 1: They are light & compact and I have tested one extensively and can verify that they will work when carried in your glovebox, under the seat or in your pocket.
Regs,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories
Rob

Post by Rob »

G'day PJQ,

I have a decent Garmin unit I bought 18 months ago, I live in a semi rural environment and it takes well under a minute to hook up to enough satellites to be accurate when you first switch it on. After that it's fine just about anywhere other than inside the house (mine has a double tin roof, your mileage may vary).

When I went out to Cudal, I switched it on and it hooked up so quick I thought it had glitched, no interference out there I guess.

Here in town as well as out in the scrub it works fine inside the cab of the ute. I often program in a destination and give it to the young bloke in the back seat so he can believe he's navigating and it works fine back there too.

The eTrex H has the better antenna so I don't see anyone having issues out on the lake.

Cheers,
Rob
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

*** Read the whole thread drongo...
From page 1: They are light & compact and I have tested one extensively and can verify that they will work when carried in your glovebox, under the seat or in your pocket.

I would not consider this sort of comment helpful
from whoever is adding in these unsigned edits
G
They make it
I make it work
PJQ2

Post by PJQ2 »

That was me Grumm, editing my own post. Should have read the thread from the start, then I would have seen the answer to my question. That qualifies as Drongo :?
Regs,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

You drongo! :lol:
DLRA Member#412
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

Yeah
Step outside
both of you
and while you're there

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0407176965
They make it
I make it work
jrbcastle

Post by jrbcastle »

grumm441 wrote:Yeah
Step outside
both of you
and while you're there

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0407176965
Hey thats perfect for the Dr could see him him cruising the pits on that :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Colesy

Post by Colesy »

Has anyone had any problems with getting the Garmin eTrex to talk to a PC. I have tried on two PC's with different operating systems including Windows 7 & XP. But it is failing to recognise the driver in the unit. Have downloaded USB driver from Garmin with no luck. Everything is new ie:GPS and cables etc but they don't want to talk to each other.
Anyone have any ideas.
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

Picked up a connection package from eBay including software for upgrades from Garmin for the club's Etrex units.
Tried the connection and it seems to work as far as software upgrades are concerned (showed that our units had the latest version).
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363