Track Marking for 2010

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

Rob Carroll

Track Marking for 2010

Post by Rob Carroll »

Just been wondering what the members think about having both timed and GPS tracks marked with cones instead of corflute markers this year. By looking at the map of the tracks it shows cones all the way. I asked Rod Hadfield about this and he said cones on the GPS track and corflute from the start of timing on the long track. My concern is if a vehicle comes close to a cone it may get sucked onto the track, or even a gust of wind may move one into the path of the next competitor to use the track. The cones could be screwed down of course, but if you do that you could nail down a corflute marker in the same time. I have had one competitor contact me with concerns about this and wondered if anyone else has realised this is the situation. If you ran over a cone with a car that might not be too bad but a motorcycle may be a different story. What do you think?
PLUCKA

re markers

Post by PLUCKA »

Rob

I think hitting anything would be an issue on a bike but if it was my decision after consultation, it would be corflute. Just my preferrence though.

Plucka
Last Minute Racing

Post by Last Minute Racing »

Maybe to distinguish between the 2 tracks it might be an idea to have 2 different types of markers just to make sure you dont go down the wrong line.
It shouldnt happen but you never know as it looks like the 2 tracks start pretty close together.

Thanx
Dave
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

I like the corflute / cone idea, it would help rider / driver to see the timed section start without having to remember where on the track you are without having to remember where the timers set in relation to the mile markers (especially when we use the "short" wet weather track).
But,,,,,if trailers have been known to blow around the lake , unassisted at times, and we have all experienced the frantic shade preservation / repair tasks that usually happen at least once during the week when the dreaded winds hit, can we afford the time consuming job of repositioning the cones ?
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
Dr Goggles

close

Post by Dr Goggles »

Personally I'd like to think that the markers are fixed, we're so low ( the drivers point of view)it's much easier to run close to the markers, It might just be me but I reckon there was a bollard that sat a little "proud" somewhere before the 2 mile last year and I got a really, really good look at it. I dunno if it wasn't fixed down and had moved or whether it had just been placed ever so slightly inside the line.

My vote is cor-flute, nailed down. I sure as hell don't want to hit a cone, it'd do a number on our bodywork.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Rich Assen hit a cone in the US his first year there, :shock:
personally i wouldn't like to hit one at 175mph on the gps track and be very much against hitting one on the long course at 200+
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Ive seen the damage a foam block with a reflector can do to a drag racing vehicle at 150mph.. A cone at 200mph would do alot of damage..
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

The large cones we use at the timing lights have been known to blow over in the wind, but if its that windy, we wont be racing anyway. Cars have hit cones in the past with little damage but i would not like to see a bike do it ! Corflute is much safer. Pete. DLRA #6