ANY RESULTS or TALES FOR 2010 EVENT

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

DON NOBLE

ANY RESULTS or TALES FOR 2010 EVENT

Post by DON NOBLE »

Any results or stories from the 2010 event welcome . Now that those from the event are coming back , welcome to the world . A few years ago I was leaving the lake and said to Animal that I was heading back to the real world , to which Animal said as only he can " that aint the f....n real world , this place is ".... How true ...
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
Last Minute Racing

Post by Last Minute Racing »

Just got back and had a shower.
Weather was GREAT once the rain cleared, bit of wind, just enough to keep the flys away.
Some very quick times and happy people, but not me :(
Water/salt fouled a plug on first run on practice track Tuesday arvo then covered plug with what i was hoping was to be 130 mph tape and out to the GPS track. Running huge mains went from 270 std to 450 with all the mods but didnt think of the fuel tank breather not being big enough. :oops:
So out to the 1 mile mark 11500 in 5 th 118 mph and thinking of grabbing 6 th and you guessed it lean out and nip up NOOOOOO.
Pulled the head off Wed morning and 2 nice big scores on my nice new barrels.
Oh well thats racing, sob.
So me and my wife spent the next 2 arvos at the GPS track helping out , that was a blast.
36 hp VW world recore set, sorry cant remember the speed im sure the owner / crew will let us know.
1 ltr water bottle did 235 i think Friday morning.
As i said lots of very fast speeds and happy people.
I would like to thank the team of organizers who put on a fantastic event, even tho it was only my second im sure it will be one of my most memorable.
I think i speak for every one in saying that you were missed Don and i hope to see you there next year.

Thanx
Dave
FASTER! FASTER! BANG F&^*K! F%&*K! F#$%K! s*** MORE MONEY
IN2VWS

Post by IN2VWS »

Last Minute Racing wrote:36 hp VW world recore set, sorry cant remember the speed im sure the owner / crew will let us know.

We had a great time at the salt.

Once we got home though, we were told that the yanks don't acknowledge GPS times.
Oh well, will have to do it again next year.
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

IN2VWS wrote:
Last Minute Racing wrote:36 hp VW world recore set, sorry cant remember the speed im sure the owner / crew will let us know.

We had a great time at the salt.

Once we got home though, we were told that the yanks don't acknowledge GPS times.
Oh well, will have to do it again next year.

What speeds did you do ???
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
T-34

Post by T-34 »

75.1 in the 36hp Oval and 127.5 in the Ghia IIRC
#809Image
Rob

Post by Rob »

Drove from Adelaide to the lake in 5 1/2 hours, sent around 2 1/2 hours from Adelaide to Port Augusta in increasing rain. 20km from Port A the rain passed and the road was starting to dry. At the Port Augusta Caltex they told us it had just been a passing storm for them.

It sprinkled between Port and Iron Knob. The washouts started early and were marked with cones or road marking stanchions but the road was dry and in fairly good condition otherwise. We went via the lake to the DLRA camp as Terry hadn't been to the lake despite his #21 membership.

We just got the tents up at the camp when it started to sprinkle and quickly threw the bags inside. the original intention was to go to the sausage sizzle at the canteen for inner but we were told they had run out. The sprinkling stopped and started a few times then turned into a shower and downpour which set the tune for the whole night. Wind and heavy rain that continued into Sunday. Somewhat luckily on the Sunday afternoon the camp copped more sorms whereas the lake apparently only got showers.

Sunday am there was something aproaching 50mm of water running past the front of the canteen near the edge of the lake but they managed to get the new truck with the merchandise off and back up to the shearing shed to set up shop.

About half a dozen cars that were already on the lake had been scrutineered and bikes were scrutineered beside the canteen on the Monday with lots of spectators. Everyone came for the Norton, Velocette and other notable bikes to hear them start for the lanyard/kill switch test.

Tuesday saw the lake open to entrants for pit access and despite the damp salt the new mats worked well to preserve the entry. These were mved several times during the event as was the access road to minimise damage and maintain access.

Track layout was different to that planned as the original simply wouldn't fit. The modified layout worked pretty well though some chase crews took the safety crew's road and were suitably chastised by Animal (no doubt).

Racing commenced around 4pm and with the meeting moved to Wednesday night, continued until about 8pm. It was a late dinner for the track crews but the canteen food was still good as always, along with the service and pricing.

The GPS track worked well and several times we had no "customers". In the end the GPS track was closed for the event Thursday afternoon when after two calls over the radio, no one came to run. The cones and track markers were picked up directly afterwards to save time Friday.

I can't comment on the timed track as I didn't get to see much of it and certainly didn't make it to the start line but the GPS track was a winner despite it being a little bumpy. The salt was so hard the scraper simply ground over the top of the lumps rather than shave them. No one complained, everyone that wanted to ran and it was nice of a couple of teams to come and shake the start line crew's hands and say thankyou.

There were a lot more spectators at the event, especially women and children.

There's lots more and I probably got something wrong but there's no doubt the event was a success despite the shortened program.

All the organisers and volunteers should reach over their respecive shoulders and give themselves a pat on the back for a job well done. I know of several first timers who were talking about next year before this years event was over.

I know I'll be there and working hard to get the Soarer there too. Special mention for Max Ellery for upping the E/Pro record from 165.xxx to 179.9xx making my job that much harder. :wink:

That'd be my novel, will upload pics tomorrow, I'm beat.
Rob

Sunday am from the canteen toward the start line.

Spirit of Sunshine after 193mph but a blown crank seal.

I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

THANKS ROB
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
Rob

Post by Rob »

Last evening on the salt (Thursday). Good food, good friends, bench racing and this sunset over the pits.

I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

[quote="Rob"]Last evening on the salt (Thursday). Good food, good friends, bench racing and this sunset over the pits.

Bloody heck Rob , almost sounds romantic , hope you all weren,t holding hands . :shock: :shock: :shock:
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
Last Minute Racing

Post by Last Minute Racing »

Sun up in the pits

Warning:Dry Lake Racing may cause serious addiction, excess endorphin release, adrenalin rush, and uncontrollable euphoria. Users may experience distortion of facial structure due to high g-forces. In rare cases, near toxic adrenaline levels have been observed. Dry Lake Racing should not be done by pregnant women, people with heart conditions, or those with bladder control issues

Thanx Dave
Last edited by Last Minute Racing on Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FASTER! FASTER! BANG F&^*K! F%&*K! F#$%K! s*** MORE MONEY
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Don

Lots and lots of runs this year!!!!

We personally got about 270 odd down the GPS course, mainly bikes, and over a shortened program. We started at about 4:30 tuesday till sundown, all day wed/thur and closed after exhausting all competitors.

A big thank you to Chris Hanlon - starter (newly elected as joint Chief Starter along with yourself Don - you'll have to come next year now), Rob, Graham (Dreamliner200), Big Gaz and Dave and his wife (sorry, I've forgotten) from Last Minute Racing, Jeff the GPS guy and all the other volunteers down at our part of the lake. I'd like to think that we all enjoyed the experience as well. The members of the South East Qld Assistant Timers Club have been re-elected to our positions so we will be back!

I heard from Cled that there were over 500 runs in total over the week - a short week remember - so very successful.

Bring on 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spirit of Sunshine after 193mph but a blown crank seal.

Looks more like Dr Googles blew the seal........! :shock:

Yes, an old joke but a goody!!!

Lynchy
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

My high lites for the week were:
1. catching up with mates from previous years.
2. Getting our bus there and back without any problems.
3. The success of the meet given the weather situation.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Low lites were:
1. Don Noble not being there. :cry: :cry: :cry:
2. Car 66 not being there (but Bobby wus :lol: :lol: :lol: )
3. Having to wait another 12 months to get racing again :) :) :)
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
Cookey

Photos from Speedweek

Post by Cookey »

These shots were taken by a mate Ian Glover who came over from Tassie for his first SpeedWeek.
Smurfs Turbos over blowers set up.
Inter coolers etc.
Got to have a sense of humor up here :wink: :wink:
Scrounger's Toy - Well done Mat Saunders. 8) 8) 8)

Another good member at rest.
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
Rocket

Re: Photos from Speedweek

Post by Rocket »

Cookey wrote:These shots were taken by a mate Ian Glover who came over from Tassie for his first SpeedWeek.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Have ya got a mate Cookey ?? :lol:

A GREAT week!!

Most where good at scruitineering (for a first timer)
(thanks for the help!)
& Factory Streamliner just kept cutting laps (what a reliable car that is :wink: )
Pack up went real well with plenty on hand to help !
(at least I can say I've driven a couple of miles on the main track now :lol: :lol: )

Can't wait till next year 8) 8) 8)
(oh! it's been raining on the lake after we left & still more to come)
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au
momec

Post by momec »

Back home and what a great event.

Please bear with this and read to the end as this won't be short.

My main job for the week was to run the GPS track. After the late start it was even more important for this track to earn its keep and prove the viability of the two track system.

Starting racing late Tuesday afternoon we ran 46 runs before sundown.
This was with a crappy two way and very difficult communication with northern rescue for track clearance after each run.

Next morning the comms were improved and we started punching out 1 run about every 4 to 5 mins with few delays and lots of cooperative racers and some of the best helpers I've had the pleasure of working with to keep the flow going.

The GPS track does require more people to run than the timed track but does not require the pre stage area.
Running from the corner of the pits seemed to be a mixed bonus, the down side was an increased distance for the timed course return roads.

A BIG thank you to all of the helpers, Paul Lynch, Big Gaz, Rob, Dave, Barbara, the new guy Andrew, Nathan and Craig, all the other helpers who roasted in the sun with us and had a ball. I'm not great remembering names but l can picture all the faces, thank you all.

Thanks for being voted chief starter next year, I only accepted on the understanding that l would be racing next year and Don had already put his hand up for the job. I plan to work alongside Don to run our best meeting ever next year. Don and all the other members of the assistant starters club will have a clear and concise plan of how our part of the event will run before we leave home, we will improve and steamline systems so competitors have a clear understanding of the procedure and proticols required to progress from GPS track to Timed track. There was confusion from all parties this year as we made it up as we went along. A problem we have once we get there is the overall communication. By agreeing and documenting this before we leave home the event will run smoother.

To conclude, the GPS track was a huge success and ran well over half the meeting runs for the week. Of course there were teething problems and thanks to Bob and the early crew for siting the track where they did. You think its a big lake with plenty of room but its different on paper than when you try and work it out in the flesh.

Thanks to Rob Carrol as outgoing President, what a great job and 8 years. My hats off to you Rob
Welcome President Cled. l know no other salt lake that has a President Cled. Well done.

Chris
Acme Racing #251