ANY RESULTS or TALES FOR 2010 EVENT

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Paul

I agree. More could be done to keep them in line such as a tent at the lake entrance to check for spectator tags and tarps and a sheet explaining the event and rules they must follow.

Regards
Lynchy
Dreamliner 200

Post by Dreamliner 200 »

Whoever was collecting camp fees (Blue wristbands) at the DLRA camp on Sunday was wrongly stating that this also covered your access and spectator fee on the salt :roll:

No big deal, I willingly payed for both, bought shirts and other merchandise, volunteered on the GPS track and enjoyed my "SPECTATING" All good for the club right?

I think that most of the people working with Chris, Lynchy and Rob etc on the gps track were non racing 'spectators'

We all had a great time! Perhaps we might be racers one day too.... :roll:
DLRA Member 752
Livin' the dream!
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

penny wrote:I just dont want to see spectators ostracised.

I agree with you Paul that some of today's spectators become tomorrows DLRA members and perhaps even racers.

Agreeing also with Lynchy, I believe that the club is now big enough that with the pre entry list growing that we could produce some sort of a flyer/event program that could be part of the spectator fee.
This could have content such as the background and history of the club and also offer some explanation of the rules and class designation etc etc.

I had several people from the lakeside camp speak to me about the situation regarding the toilets/shower facilities down there and explained that that was the responsibility of Mt. Ive Station but they still thought that it was the DLRA's job to ensure that things are improved.

Does anyone on the forum know whether the Newtons plan to upgrade the ablution block etc.

:?: :?: :?:
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

Cookey wrote:Agreeing also with Lynchy, I believe that the club is now big enough that with the pre entry list growing that we could produce some sort of a flyer/event program that could be part of the spectator fee.
This could have content such as the background and history of the club and also offer some explanation of the rules and class designation etc etc.

:?: :?: :?:

Is good idea Cookwah, in fact I reckon a color program could be good little merch' earner....then there could be an A4 extract for $2.......I'll write it.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

Lynchy wrote:Paul

I agree. More could be done to keep them in line such as a tent at the lake entrance to check for spectator tags and tarps and a sheet explaining the event and rules they must follow.

Regards
Lynchy

Looking from the outside in.

Yep, I think that's a must. I didn't make it over this year due to previous commitments, but last year I got a first hand look at things and I can see it is very much a sport run by volunteers who have to spend an amazing amount of time under the sun each day. I applaud them for their efforts but things do seem a little chaotic at times.

Rather than chasing spectators around the salt you need to set up a checkpoint at the approach to the salt to check for armbands and tarps and to give newbie spectators a bit of friendly advice or an info sheet explaining were they can and can't go.
Maybe have a few tarps there for sale for those who weren't aware they had to bring them. No tarp - no entry to the salt. Maybe windscreen stickers for racers/officials/media/etc who already have their shit sorted out on the salt.

It may not be a spectator sport but you have spectators none the less, many of who have travelled days just to get there. It's only going to get bigger too. The main thing that holds the whole salt racing scene back is the weather. One year though, you're going to have perfect weather and things will explode from there.
With movies like World's Fastest Indian and Street Machine's yearly articles (I think almost eveyone has been at least once now :) ) - and articles from some lesser publications :P - the allure of the salt is strong and some of today's spectators will be tomorrow's racers.
Norm

Post by Norm »

Yep I have a story to tell. Just getting there was a problem and on the way out.

Anyone remember the white HZ ute?

Norm
Dr Goggles

well?

Post by Dr Goggles »

Come on Norm , saw it sitting there on the way in with the bonnet up....what happened?........ we wondered if whoever was towing the Torana had lost radio contact with it....we were just pulling a box trailer and weren't holding off much to stay with the towcar/trailer.....the HZ or whatever it was would have been struggling, did it shit itself both ways?
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..