Longford Flying Mile

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

superbikejim

Re: Longford Flying Mile

Post by superbikejim »

Hey guys this is the link to the video where Grant Schlein hits 181mph in Tassie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHkfy8mn ... ture=inbox

Cheers, Jim
Mister Black

Post by Mister Black »

I've not been on here in a while but thought I'd drop in to say hi in this thread. I was down at Longford with Dad in his 200SX daily driver, he and his brother had a Barry Zephyr Special they raced in Tassie way back when including at Longford, the precess is under way to try to get the Zephyr back but it's going to be long and difficult I think and they were keen just to be there regardless of what they were driving. Unfortunately Dad's brother passed away a couple of weeks before the event which put a bit of a dampener on it (he blew the engine of the Zephyr in the first session of the only time they ran it at Longford so Dad missed out on driving then too, he does not have the best of records there I guess) but we still had a great time and will be back next year, hopefully in the Zephyr.

So many interesting cars there, a bit of everything but the LeMans stuff stood out for me, being able to poke around at the Rothmans Porsche and chat to the engineer who built it is not something you get to do at many track days, or race against it!

Watching Grant fly down the track at great speed was a lot of fun too, 180Mph looks damn fast flying by about 5 metres away. I noticed in the last video they gave him a bit of extra run up, he obviously found a better bribe for the starters than the rest of us could come up with! Oh well, I'm glad they let him do it, it was great seeing him at full flight. For anyone interested in going next year the organizers are quite confident of getting access to the next property along the road as well which means they can run a much longer track...

For anyone interested Dad and I both got a best speed of 190km/h in his 200SX, I think the limiting factor was the highly restrictive factory airbox but we did beat an R33 GTR from the same era so were were pretty pleased with that.
project100

Post by project100 »

Just got an email newsletter from the organisers. It finishes with..

We have already commenced preparation for next year and look forward to another exciting event, the event will run from 30 March – 1 April 2012.
I nearly had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met.
kenne

Post by kenne »

Hi all,

first time poster, have been having fun checking out this site for a while.

Anyways, I participated in the Longford event, and can advise that it most certainly would not be suited to a dry salt race car. It is run a rough undulating and narrow country B road. I'd hazard a guess that isn't an ideal proposition for one of your true top speed race cars. It is approx 800m standing start (around a bend), with maybe 600m brake area, and you have to come to stop to make a U turn... Go Whoa kinda of deal

I took my blown BF GT. 239kmh, beat the Lambo's, the R33, all the Fazzas, most everything else. Ran 4th fastest car and had a ball. It was great to meet 200SX guys above, I was parked next to them for the event. Hi guys!

Gotta say, the 281 Busa run takes on a different perspective with his extra 150m run-up! Even playing field? Hmmmm.

Very well run event, great crowd, no bogans, just genuine car enthusiasts that made for a fantastic vibe for the whole 3 days.

Next year with the longer braking area we'll be able to go deeper. For me, my stock 4 spot front, single rear brake set up was not much chop. I've already fixed that for next year.

And I have a few other simple little tweeks to undertake that will see me 250. I'm sure of it.

The Gt currently runs an intercooled Kenne Bell 2.8LC into a Ford GT40 Supercar block filled with forged Manley components. Stock heads, Crow Cams. 448rwkw on 91/2 psi. The usual supporting driveline modifications and 4.11 final drive. The 240 odd was reached at around 6700 in fifth, 6 speed Tremec trans.

cheers

[imgImage][/img]
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Welcome aboard,
sounds like you need to visit the salt but beware......................
Your right, any real salt cars can't acellerate, can't stop, have bugger all suspension and no hope at the U Turn test.

Best you come to us :wink: :wink:
Chris
Chris
kenne

Post by kenne »

Hi Chris,

yeh the salt racing does interest me, but it's a long way from home.

If i swapped the final drive to a 3.23 or even 3.45 and boosted it to 14psi, 500rwkw and 300kmh will be very achieveable. There's no tracks in tassie I can get anywhere near that potential (Symmons is good for 230+, Baskerville only 200 odd.) Top speed interests me, and right now the Longford event is the only way I can get a bit of a thrill.

Next year, the rear end will be swapped over, the boost will be bumped, the brakes have been upgraded, the braking area will be longer…. going to beat a certain Brock HRT 427 Monaro this time around.

At least that's the plan. Although fighting with a monster stripped out race car with my 1900kg daily driver would seem absurd, but worth the effort. he only pipped me by 13kmh this year.
momec3

Post by momec3 »

For your info the 427 Brock LS7 makes 550hp out of the box or with a cam a touch under 600hp.

I built plenty of these for VIP in their Moslers and a heap for others as well.
Very impressive as a factory piece. Dry sump, cnc ports etc and easy to build. Less than 6hrs to assemble compared to 8.5hrs for your 5.4 Boss.

Chris
Chris
kenne

Post by kenne »

That's about what I had thought, the Monaro power level I mean. It's brake hardware was very impressive as well, I guess that's why it one the 24 hour races.

It's kerb weight would help too I guess.... :?
Holeshot

Post by Holeshot »

Hi all
Also gotta say that I can't wait till next year when everbody starts at the same place and there's no more crying about Grants Hayabusa being 40 odd K's faster than everbody else. Doing 291 kmh (not 281) on that bumpy track was no mean feat regardless of where he started!
Cheers Jim
kenne

Post by kenne »

Holeshot wrote:Hi all
Also gotta say that I can't wait till next year when everbody starts at the same place and there's no more crying about Grants Hayabusa being 40 odd K's faster than everbody else. Doing 291 kmh (not 281) on that bumpy track was no mean feat regardless of where he started!
Cheers Jim

I agree Jim, it was a awe inspiring demonstration of brass balls that I witnessed, and regardless of the start line, it left me picking my jaw up off the paddock. Crazy stuff indeed.

I took the time at the end of the event to introduce myself and shake the mad mans hand after his last run.

Like you guys, I can't wait for next year, and hope Grant returns with that weapons grade motor cycle. BTW, there was no sook in my earlier post, it just surprised me when I saw the starting point for that particular run. That's all.

Thanks for clarifying the speed.

regards

Shane
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Ok
All the new members that I have neglected to welcome, this is a mass welcome aboard. Good to hear some fresh input and participation on our forum.

Chris
Chris
Holeshot

Post by Holeshot »

I agree Jim, it was a awe inspiring demonstration of brass balls that I witnessed, and regardless of the start line, it left me picking my jaw up off the paddock. Crazy stuff indeed.

I took the time at the end of the event to introduce myself and shake the mad mans hand after his last run.

Like you guys, I can't wait for next year, and hope Grant returns with that weapons grade motor cycle. BTW, there was no sook in my earlier post, it just surprised me when I saw the starting point for that particular run. That's all.

regards
Shane[/quote]

Hi Shane
All good, no offence taken or intended.
I did hear that you knew where the loud pedal was, as opposed to some who thought it was fuel economy run.
I love all types of fast cars but realise motorcycles are cheaper and easier to go fast on (initially anyway)
Hope you get your car on the Big White Dyno next year, then you'll know your alive!
Jim
kenne

Post by kenne »

Holeshot wrote:I agree Jim, it was a awe inspiring demonstration of brass balls that I witnessed, and regardless of the start line, it left me picking my jaw up off the paddock. Crazy stuff indeed.

regards
Shane
Hi Shane
All good, no offence taken or intended.
I did hear that you knew where the loud pedal was, as opposed to some who thought it was fuel economy run.
I love all types of fast cars but realise motorcycles are cheaper and easier to go fast on (initially anyway)
Hope you get your car on the Big White Dyno next year, then you'll know your alive!
Jim[/quote]

Hahahahaha, no economy run on my mind over those three days JIm....

Look forward to catching you next year, and yes indeed, the white dyno is on my mind. Seed has been sewn!

Shane
Mister Black

Post by Mister Black »

Hi Shane, good to see you on here. I'm not around here often as salt lake racing is still a bit of a pipe dream for me at the moment, it will happen one day though, no matter what it takes, I'll get there. If you ever need any information on aero stuff for your car these guys are the people to ask. Plenty of other forums and clubs with a similar high level of general mechanical knowledge but these guys have aero stuff under control like no-one else.

Regarding Grant's extra run up, while I would have loved to have the same myself in the end I (and everyone else I think) was really glad they gave it to him, was a great thing to watch.

I'll hopefully be heading over again next year, no idea what I'll be driving though, hopefully either Dad's old John Barry Zephyr Special that raced there back in the day or a twin turbo 300ZX Z32 if the engine is in by then.

If you want to stretch the legs of your monster you should come up to Phillip Island some time, the Marque Sports Car Association would be happy to have you at their track days as would the FPV club, email me at peter_black_@hotmail.com if you want any more info on getting on either of their track days.

Thanks for the welcome too Chris, I've been here on and off for a while but mostly just lurking and reading.

Peter
Ray Bell

Post by Ray Bell »

It's taken me a while to find this (I was looking for something else...) but it might interest you blokes...

There was a car at this event that was quite special. It was listed as a 1947 Ford Special, though it might have more accurately been dated nearer to 1951 when it emerged from its construction.

The owner is Rodney Williams, who bought the car from someone who believed it was an Allard. A lot of people over the years have thought the car was an Allard, but they've accepted that it isn't eventually... but what is it?

Strangely enough, it spent some time in pretty much a 'dry lakes' environment. It had raced in the Australian Grand Prix driven by bus-builder Harold Smith, but it quickly passed on to other hands despite the money and time Harold and his bus-building crew had lavished on it.

Among its many attributes is that it has 4-wheel independent suspension with swing axles at the front and trailing arms of some kind at the rear. It remained, as far as I can tell, pretty original as it moved to Kalgoorlie, then it made its way to the rubbish dump.

There it was found by someone who sought out the owner so he could get title to the car. Its life as an 'Allard' had begun! From one pair of hands to another it went, each dropping it like a hot scone when they found out that Sidney Allard had nothing to do with it. So now it lives in Tasmania, the owner has established the history of the car and it's getting a big birthday - because it's more significant than any single Allard anywhere in the world.

This car is the most lavishly-built Ford V8 Special that I know about anywhere short of the mid-thirties Indianapolis cars, I look very much forward to seeing it appear somewhere some day soon, those of you who saw it were Longford simply didn't realise how fortunate you were.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/img1479ef.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/img1473c.jpg