Lake condition as at Dec.27th

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

off tap racing

Re: Lake condition as at Dec.27th

Post by off tap racing »

hi all, well we just had a day an a half of light non stop rain up here, probably about 20-30mm, but this morning (tuesday) its patchy clouds in the sky so the sun will be out an it should be dry in a day or two, so all good, come on march.. Graeme.
Trevor : DLRA 136

Post by Trevor : DLRA 136 »

Talking to some people yesterday and they stated that the area received 35mm of rain the other day and the lake is currently under water, depth unknown.

Nothing a bit of wind and some good old fashioned hot weather can't fix.

I hope.

:?
Trev. DLRA 136
off tap racing

Post by off tap racing »

ive just gone on break from challenger gold mine near commonwealth station 250km south west of coober pedy, the road to the mine site has been closed for the last 2 weeks because of rain filling up parts of the road, (its like a big long trench) we have had people from site out there pumping water off the road from the many puddles just for it to rain the next day, (it seems to rain every 2nd day, but we have had no rain on site about 80km from where the puddles start) its still very warm up there, we are averaging hight 30s to low 40s, im just wondering if the water will make it to the lake underground, fingers crossed it doesnt, still 30+ days to go though. Graeme
PLUCKA

Post by PLUCKA »

News just in on the condition of Lake G.
The lake is still dry generally but there is a about a 100m section just down from the the canteen that has water on it and goes out about 25 m then dry dry dry.
No more rain thanks and we'll be fine.
Another report will be done on Wednesday

Plucka
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

The Challenger Mine is in the same drainage catchment as Lake Gairdner.
There is subterranean ground water that feeds into Lake Gairdner, read this; http://www.dlra.org.au/ref-geological.htm
Challenger is 194m above sea level, Gairdner has estimated altitude of 118m above sea level, so shit can run down hill. (1 : 0.003 gradient)
If there is a connection and how long it would take to travel the 220 odd kilometres from Challenger to Gairdner I have no idea.

Maybe you could ask some of your geology buddies at the mine?

References
http://maps.bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&x=133.58 ... psec=0#map
http://maps.bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&x=135.99 ... psec=0#map
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
penny

Post by penny »

well done pluka your bloods worth bottleing ,thanks for the info
oh and did your monaro ever run a 371 blower , the same size as our suburban railcars used ??????????
glengowrie annexe of the Institute of Backyard Studies
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

PLUCKA wrote:News just in on the condition of Lake G.
The lake is still dry generally but there is a about a 100m section just down from the the canteen that has water on it and goes out about 25 m then dry dry dry.
No more rain thanks and we'll be fine.
Another report will be done on Wednesday
Plucka
Nothing like an eye witness account!
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
PLUCKA

Post by PLUCKA »

Penny
Nah it never ran a 371 but there is a 671 thats locked up in my cupboard that may get a guernsey one day when I master normally aspirated.

Plucka
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

I just spoke to Simon Davidson the photographer , he'd been at the lake for a shoot.

Bad news.

The lake has two inches of water over the entire course and it is red with dirt.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
OLDPOP

Post by OLDPOP »

Hey Doc

Get him to post some photos

Regards

Phill H
DLRA # 1102
PLUCKA

Post by PLUCKA »

Don't know how that is possible as it was viewed yesterday afternoon. I wouldn't be all concerned as the water he may have seen (which was probably last week) could have blown down from the north.

Its not over until track inspection, Dr G It'll be fine.

Plucka
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

..there is the possibility he's pulling me leg..............

I hope so.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
penny

Post by penny »

there is a possability that it is his own dirt as he was asked last event to "not come back to the startline unless he has a tarp under his vehicle " . paul penny , sometime tarp nazi.
glengowrie annexe of the Institute of Backyard Studies
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

Dr Goggles wrote:..there is the possibility he's pulling me leg..............

I hope so.

I hoped in vain.

He sent the following letter with two photos, I can't seem to load the photos up to Photobucket

Hi All...
Thursday there was a small amount at the lakes edge stretching out about 30 metres and running along the edge for about 200 metres. The access ramp was wet and would not have handled too many cars, about 50% wetter than last year on the Monday. I walked out about 100 metres and the salt was wet... too wet to drive on, I would say especially in the eyes of the National Parks.

On Friday there was a day of rain across most of SA with higher falls in the lower half of the state. A product from a cyclone that crossed the coast of North West WA a few days before. The drive in along the dirt to Mt Ives was muddy, slippery and 4WD only. Two 4WD vehicles made an impact on the road... I couldn't imagine the impact of 300 vehicles. Luckily the road was open but deemed only open to 4WD vehicles by the SA roads. Failure to adhere to driving conditions is subject to a $2,000.00 fine per wheel.

Saturday Lake Gairdner was a "lake" as far as the eye could see.

Fingers crossed we have a few weeks of hot and windy weather.

My apologies to be the messenger of such wet images. I was hoping to see the lake in all it's crystalline glory.
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

The road in from Iron Knob is currently listed as being 4WD only as at midday today (Monday Feb 21st)
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363