Road conditions into the lake

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

adam

Road conditions into the lake

Post by adam »

Hi Guys,
The wife and I are planning to come out and have a look at the salt this year. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the recent condition of the dirt road in is like. We were thinking of bringing the wife's WRX to get some km's up on it. Would it make it in? If not, we can bring the 4wd.

I'm also guessing road condition is dependent upon weather condition too?

Thanks
Adam
neonasty

Re: Road conditions into the lake

Post by neonasty »

Im coming in hyundai i30, so it had better not be too bad!

I guess a lot of people come in with car trailers, so it wont be too rough.
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

neonasty wrote:Im coming in hyundai i30, so it had better not be too bad!

I guess a lot of people come in with car trailers, so it wont be too rough.
Sometimes the road is great, the dust is low and the crossings are navigable at a decent speed. Some years it has been over 40c on the way in, and extremely dusty.Be aware that the combination of high trafiic, loaded vehicles and poor surface/driving conditions increase the risk of accidents.

If it gets wet then things go bad. being remote the roads aren't generally "engineered", they are commonly below the level of the surrounding country , they don't drain very well, wash outs are bad, ruts can be severe.

When it's wet there is no dust. If it's dry the bulldust can be very bad after a few days once the heavy traffic has shattered it.On the way out you find sections where there are bulldust "bogs".....50yards or more at a time and of indeterminate depth, if it then rains on this stuff it's difficult for 2wd cars with low clearance.

If you are taking a small sedan make every effort to keep it light and slow down at every sign as it may be a washout and plenty of people have got airborne and damaged the underneath of their cars.

Put a bug guard over your radiator this year.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Just speaking to our Whyalla corespondent and DLRA radio technician and camp commandant , Trev.
Road is currently in good condition (for an outback Australian road).
This road is fine for a vehicle with normal road height, if it's lowered or on the lowish side I'd consider bringing something else unless you intend to travel at a much reduced pace.
The Doc has given some good advice, read it again and remember it.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
adam

Post by adam »

Thanks for the info, one other question though, about fuel. I read in the latest DLRA newsletter (More Rod's Ramblings) that the Iron Knob service station looked like terrorists had attacked it. Is it still open? If not, will that affect the fuel range needed to get to the salt and back?

Thanks
Adam
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

There is fuel at Mt Ive but it's typically about 20% over highway prices.

So carry enough fuel for 500klm's+ from Port Augusta, for first timers you'll be surprised at how much fuel you use while you're there.

If you get the chance bring plenty of change.... 100-$200 doesn't hurt, no ATM's there.

This always gets me in the shoit, but unless you're from South Australia bring water from home, or at least somewhere where it's drinkable. If you're from South Australia ordersome in :lol: :lol: :lol:

c'mon Trev ...give it to me
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

To be on the safe side, don't rely on Iron Knob to fill up. Get all your needs at Port Augusta.
To give you an idea of the traveling you will do, it's about 180k's from Port Augusta to Lake Gairdner.
Then if you stay at the DLRA camp it's 8k's from the salt.
so you'd easily do 500-600k's for the week, you can work out your own consumption from there and whether or know you will need to carry fuel.
It would probably be wise to carry some fuel anyway.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

We tried to fill up at Iron Knob once when it was still an operating concern. Got a few litres in and the pumps vapour locked. We now bank on Iron Knob not being available. Always chuck a jerry can of fuel in. If you run out at the lake, the jerry should get you back to PA.

Also - most years we've driven into the lake in a hire car and had no problems at all with ground clearance or passability of the roads, even when they were muddy. We don't go nuts on the road trying to get there asap though.
OLDPOP

Post by OLDPOP »

Road to the lake was opened about 24 hrs ago now listed as 4wd only

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/quicklin ... /area3.asp
DLRA # 1102
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

The open to 4WD only is because we had some locallised rain last Friday which would have caused water pooling on the roads. A high clearance (read not dumped on its guts) vehicle will get through if driven sensibly. Having said that if the sign says 4WD only then you would be breaking the law if you drove on the road and would be subject to a fine of $1250.00 per wheel if you did at the moment.
I would suggest the road will be open in a couple of days to conventional vehicles and all will be OK.
Iron Knob roadhouse is closed and derilect (Also it's for sale for $150,000, was $365,000 only about 18mths ago, and yes it is for sale genuinely not like the NON GENUINE Mt Ive sale spotted previously)
Some of us will be attending the Lake for track inspection on the weekend of Mar 5th-6th and we will give a first hand road report on our return.
6 weeks to go!
Cheers,
Trevor
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

Doc,
I wouldn't "give it" to the uninformed. :oops:
Where you camp (Lake side camp) the water provided is provided by the land owners and IS BORE WATER :roll: hence its not wonderful but it won't kill you (straight away anyway) :!:
Where the DLRA camp is situated (approx 8km leisurely drive) from the Lake we use RAIN WATER :D which is caught throughout the year hence we have sweet tasting soft palatable water. :) We do use BORE WATER to flush the toilets though. :shock:
See Ya in March' :D
Cheers,
Fatboy :mrgreen:
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Don't forget the way out can be quite different to the way in, remember 09, i'm sure that would have been listed as 4wd only (or boat) :lol:
off tap racing

Post by off tap racing »

In 2007 i went up in my 1959 tank fairlane which is lowered, the road was very dust but we just drove to the road conditions, its got a 351 in it an a 70 litre fuel tank, i filled up at mt Ive station before returning and still had some fuel left by the time i got back to PA, Graeme
neonasty

Post by neonasty »

Thanks for the Info all,

Im not too worried, Ive done a fair bit of off road driving before. I was going to take the 4x4 anyway but Im on a novated lease, and I need to get the Kms up. If I dont, Im basically paying for the trip to the salt and back in tax. Its a diesel i30, and even at its worst economy (sitting in traffic all day with A/C on) we still get about a 650km range.

Penny sent me a great PM with plenty of info. I'll just drive to the road conditions, and fill up in Port Augusta before hand. and carry a 10L jerry just in case. Thats an extra 130Km range at least.

Now to fit everything in for 2 people in a small hatchback.... mmmMmm Tetris anyone?
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

ADVICE FOR THOSE GAME ENOUGH TO TAKE SIGNIFICANT OTHERS....................

There are three meals a day from Monday til Thurs.....One or two nights there is chicken, pies or burgers for lunch...take emergency meals, when you can it's easier to eat at the canteen as it's where everyone heads at the end of the day.

Take some hand cleaner like Fast Orange that works with minimal water......everything gets grubby, clean hands are a luxury.

There are women's toilets on the salt.

LOTS of sunscreen.

DESPITE what anyone says take some very sturdy boots, it is difficult walking anywhere off the lake, especially in the dark.

There is NO phone coverage, there is a phone at the station, best part of an hour round trip, tell everyone you're gone for the whole week.

The lakeside showers are cold, but they're only really cold first thing in the morning, if you want a warm shower wait til the arvo.....

If in doubt ask Carol Hadfield, she knows EVERYTHING you need to know, however she may conscript you.