spectator needing info

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

wes

spectator needing info

Post by wes »

Gday all, planning to attend this years speedweek but needing clarification on a few things. Are there toilets at the camp near the lake ?.Are small generators allowed at either site ?,Is the camping fee per person, site or vehicle ?.Are gas cookers or bbqs permitted ?.Are tarps only used if youre driving your vehicle on the salt ? and finally are we required to get any permits from national parks etc for overnight camping ?.
penny

Re: spectator needing info

Post by penny »

wes check your private messages .
glengowrie annexe of the Institute of Backyard Studies
IN2VWS

Post by IN2VWS »

There is 2 toilets to service the camp (inadequate).
Generators are allowed, and are used by many. Most are quiet, but there are a few really loud cheap generators used.
The camping fee is per person.
Gas cookers and BBQ's are OK, but no open fires. Last year there were some quite large bon fires happening. I beleive this will be a big no no this year.
Tarps are for vehicles parked on the salt, not at the camp site.
If you camp at the camp site, no ermits required. If you camp elsewhere....not sure.

Somebody jump in and correct me if I am wrong.
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

What was said above.

but frankly, why do you need a generator? It is an amazingly beautiful place and it is a pity to spoil it with such noise.

When walking around we saw people with a generator running to simply have a single lightbulb burning... Why? Use a lantern and don't annoy everyone else.

It would be great to limit generator use to what is absolutely necessary and turn them off at a reasonable hour.

In fact I vote to segregate the camping site so all those with mod con generators, boom boxes can hang out one end of the site, and those enjoying the desert night sky with lanterns etc the other end so there is no argy bargy. Yeah, that sounds a bit nuts and berries for a motor event, but there is enough noise during the day.

Reverend Hedgash
DLRA Member#412
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

IN2VWS wrote:There is 2 toilets to service the camp (inadequate).
Generators are allowed, and are used by many. Most are quiet, but there are a few really loud cheap generators used.
The camping fee is per person.
Gas cookers and BBQ's are OK, but no open fires. Last year there were some quite large bon fires happening. I beleive this will be a big no no this year.
Tarps are for vehicles parked on the salt, not at the camp site.
If you camp at the camp site, no ermits required. If you camp elsewhere....not sure.

Somebody jump in and correct me if I am wrong.
You pay camping fees for the lakeside camp at the canteen.

If you are planning to run your turbo diesel generator with the megaphone exhaust 24 hrs a day to power the pump in your water feature be aware that it may be your next door neighbour that you ask to help you out of a bog on your way out.....Just joking, but there have been some, and I don't use the term lightly, dickheads, creating a nuisance.......... the last time I stayed at the members camp there was a certain Supercar team who had a real noisy gennie set powering their stereo, when we went over to ask them to shut up they were passed out pissed........good one.

1./Take everything you brought to the lake back home with you, everything.

2./Take care of the saltbush, make every effort to find a site for you tent/van that avoids having to disturb the area too much.If you do knock it over replant it....sounds picky?....you're in a National Park , and we need to be invited back, don't be the guy who got up the Ranger's nose......and they're pretty big nostrils.

3./For the effort and expense it is hardly worth planning or preparing anything other than very basic food. There are meals at the canteen that are as good as most pubs and good value too. Keeping stuff cold and clean as well as getting everyone in one place is difficult .....just take food for when you miss the canteen , it's cheaper in the end, by the time food has travelled both ways on the road from Iron Knob it's stuffed , unless it's in a tin.

4./ Light a fire only when needed, in the circumstances that's pretty much never.........wood is real scarce out there

5./Remember that we're there to race,and we want to go back. It is important that we leave as little evidence of having being there as possible.

6./ Take heavy duty Garbags, do not take glass, DO NOT DROP BUTTS ANYWHERE.

...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
penny

Post by penny »

canteen meals start sunday night
coming out we leave about 2 pm and get into adelaide about 7.30 . this is good advise if you decide to stay friday and help the packing up .racing friday morning until about 11 am .
ice will be available from when it arrives on friday
Last edited by penny on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IN2VWS

Post by IN2VWS »

"Why do you need a generator?"
At the end of he day we charge our handheld cb radios. We need these to hear anything that is going on, plus, I think it is mandatory for teams to have them. After a full day of use, my battery is flat. I also have a satellite phone with me, and that needs a few charges during the week. If the car battery goes flat, then I can also recharge that.
So if you don't want to use a generator, thats your choice, but it is my choice to have one. Mine is a little Honda EU20i, which is pretty quiet.
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Just to make this clear, there are 2 camps.
The "Saltbush camp " near the lake is run by Mt. Ive station. That's why fees are payable to them at the canteen.
There is only 2 toilets and a cold shower, so you are roughing it. But you are close to the lake.

The "DLRA camp" is 8 k's from the salt, fees are payable to the DLRA and you will be given awristband to wear.
The DLRA camp has a male and female toilet block and hot showers. But you do have to travel.
(freeloaders in the dunnies or the showers will be suitably dealt with)

There is accomodation at Mt. Ive but this is very hard to get and you are talking 18k's from the salt.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

Greg,
I know you must have made a "typo" as Mt Ive homestead is in fact 38km from the lake not 18km as per your post. :oops:
As Greg has pointed out there are in fact 2 camps. :) The Lakeside or Saltbush camp has 2 showers, and two flushing toilets and 2 handbasins, bore water and no power. As Greg has pointed out this camp is owned and maintained by the land owner not the DLRA. :roll:
Camp 2 is approx 8km from the lake and is known as the DLRA Camp. :D We have a large genset some distance from the camp with numerous power outlets around the area for refridgeration, lighting and charging of various equipment but generally not used for cooking as the load around peak times can cause generator issues. :mrgreen: The DLRA camp has limited RAIN WATER for showering and drinking and we use bore water for flushing toilets etc. :mrgreen:
DLRA camp fees are $10 per night per person and a one off diesel levy of $10 for genset fuel (If you camp for the week the maximum cost is $60.00) for that you get HOT showers, flushing toilets, power and no gensets running all over the place. :D
As the good Doctor pointed out the canteen provides very good meals which are reasonably priced but a bit of backup tucker is good in case they run out or are closed when you require something (midnight snack maybe).
Ice will be available thoughout the day, (see Mr Penny and Co) probably from Sunday onwards, not to far from the canteen, so if you take an esky you will have ICE supplies if required.
As has been said in previous posts arm bands will be issued upon payment of various fees and these bands will be colour coded to identify who has paid what and what facilities they are entitled to use.
The Club over the past 7 years has spend a considerable sum of money on infrastructure (Cabling, water reticulation, ablution blocks, rainwater tanks etc) and it is only fair that people pay for the use of these facilities.
Enough from me,
Cheers,
DLRA Camp Comdant (aka village idiot) :D
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

IN2VWS wrote:"Why do you need a generator?"
At the end of he day we charge our handheld cb radios. We need these to hear anything that is going on, plus, I think it is mandatory for teams to have them. After a full day of use, my battery is flat. I also have a satellite phone with me, and that needs a few charges during the week. If the car battery goes flat, then I can also recharge that.
So if you don't want to use a generator, thats your choice, but it is my choice to have one. Mine is a little Honda EU20i, which is pretty quiet.
They all seem valid reasons to me.

Dik
DLRA Member#412
neonasty

Post by neonasty »

You can sign me and my mate up for the 5 nights at the DLRA camp.

Count down is on! I need a holiday badly
penny

Post by penny »

good question WES , permits for the national parks are a cost paid for by the D.L.R.A. in the running of the event ,along with access fees for the station , track surveying and numerous others fees that add up to a lot of money to put this on . Its all a club run thing so dont be shy to put your hand up next year to help out to do a task . spend this year enjoying the experiance .
Also a mention of where you are starting your journey from will see similiar based mebers offering good advise .
Last edited by penny on Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wes

Post by wes »

thanks everyone for the info/advice.Being that it is such a remote location all the advice and info is invaluable.looking forward to this years racing , hoping that the storm cells travelling that way have a minimal effect on the event. will be arriving monday sometime, we'll be the ones in a white vt wagon with the "thank f@@k we made it look on our faces ".