First time Start Line assistant

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

Heidi1

Re: First time Start Line assistant

Post by Heidi1 »

Brilliant, thanks heaps for the advice. I'll sign up for something now, then see what I can help you with when I'm out at the Lake.
BONES

Post by BONES »

Hey Hiedi
That means you will have to get up early-- after a big night :lol: or maybe volunteer for an afternoon job.
Looking forward to seeing you and Bruce
cheers Bones
Heidi1

Post by Heidi1 »

Hey Bones, busting to see you again. I've already told Ev and Maj I'll pit crew for them, the offer is yours as well. I'm handy and I take direction well :D Don't worry, I already thought of that early start thing, I'm signing up for afternoons just in case. I figure the merchandise is a safe bet, and with any luck it might keep me out of the sun a bit (for those who don't know me, I'm very fair). Bruce is also keen to volunteer, we'll get out there and see where we can be useful. Between the two of us I'm sure we can be of some help to someone.
JonB

Post by JonB »

Hi Lynchy

would i be able to get a copy of the manuals please, I've volunteered for a couple of sessions and wouldnt mind reading them so that i can help fill any other gaps that turn up.

thanks
jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

If anyone wants the start line procedures, please PM me with an email address and I will send them out a copy. I can't send them today as I dont have the file with me at work.

Turns out I do have them at work today so have sent copies out to those who have requested them so far. I'm waiting on email addresses for some who haven't provided them yet.

Lynchy
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

Well Lynchy
Its nearly that time of the year again, 3rd time lucky hopefully.
Are there any alterations to the starter manual or are the ones you sent in 2011 still OK
Cheers Mossy
PS I've actually bought a spare battery for the camera as well. :D
DLRA # 959
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Mossy

No... no changes to the procedures so far. They will get a polish up following the next race event as there are always lessons learnt and enhancements that get made on the fly. I will take a look at them though and will advise if there is anything that stands out needing a rewrite given they've been on the shelf for a while now.

Lynchy
rgn

Post by rgn »

Lynchy, thank you for the procedure manuals, and also the rookie manual. Combined they create an excellent overview of what is to be expected in 2013. Thanks again!
rgn.
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Ralph

No worries. I got Greg to post the Rookie Orientation booklet up on the website for all to see. The location is:

http://www.dlra.org.au/docs/rookie-orie ... ooklet.pdf

Lynchy
swello

Post by swello »

I am a start line virgin as well. I have nominated for a couple of sessions and would get some benefit from the manuals as well.
Team ; The IT problem. cheers
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

Glad to see I nominated as start line assistant on the GPS track monday morning, so I can make the rookie meeting as well :)
Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Swello - PM me your email address and I can send you a copy of the start line procedures.

Mossy - The plan was to have a rookie meeting every morning at the GPS track while the numbers were there. Animal will still be holding the drivers meeting where the broad outline of the event is given. The rookie meeting was just to fill in gaps and help out nervous first time drivers/riders.

Semi funny story, Rob will remember this one - we had a driver ready to go a few years ago and he was NERVOUS! He was next to go but he didn't have his gloves. So we stopped him and told him to get them. No problem for us, we just send other cars and bikes through till he came back and sent him off next. The next time he came back for another run he was slipping his gloves on and was still a bit nervous so I asked him where his helmet was??? He nearly passed out.... till I told him it was on his head! We do our best to calm people down and we are there to help out and point out what they should be doing, there is no rush to get off the start line and it is better to slow down and don't rush it. We can always send another vehicle down if you aren't ready.

BTW - there are some changes that need to get into the rookie booklet - back protectors for bikies, wrist restraints and HANs devices for drivers... as soon as I get a minute or 10...
Rob

Post by Rob »

That one and a couple of others Paul.

As I said to a couple of people at the tech inspection last Saturday, the rules and officials aren't here to stop you racing. They're here to keep you racing safely.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
momec3

Post by momec3 »

And to add to that guys once you are in the Starters control and he/she has given you the go ahead that the track is clear DO NOT RUSH.

Be clear in your head as a driver that you have ticked of your prepartion list with your crew and you are certain all your safety systems are right, calm yourself before you leave the line so you are mentally prepared to consentrate on the run.
First timers go gentle of the line till you feel the traction and get a bit used to it.
The road noise and vibration/harmonics running on salt is different to bitumen so allow time to get used to it.

Chris
Chris