The new Pre Stage

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

momec3

The new Pre Stage

Post by momec3 »

Ok I have initiated several changes for the prestage area this year.

The GPS coarse wil remain unchanged from last year. For the newbies this means you queue in two lines up to the GPS startline.
Its important on both coarses to keep pushing vehicles foward so the startline crew can deal with you quickly and efficiently without having to walk a city block to help you. Their focus is to push through as many runs as they can and we all have to work together to make this happen.

The Pre Stage for the Short Coarse/Long Coarse.

You will no longer be required to queue your vehicles for long periods in the sun. This year to register for your next run all you will need to do is wander up to the pre stage tent and give them your race number and details. This will be entered on the Lap Top and each group of 10 will be given a group designation (example group A).
The pre stage official will give you and approximate time that group A will be called.
You then need to listen to the UHF for your call or the bush telegraph. Updates will be given on schedule as the day develops.
We currantly envisage having the 1 or 2 groups of 10 waiting at the prestage area at any given time. I think if we have 10 there and 10 on the startline there won't be any hold ups.
Some HARD and FIRM rules. ONLY the driver/rider may register. IF YOUR VEHICLE HAS MUTIPLE DRIVERS THE PRE STAGE MUST ALSO SITE THE VEHICLE. NO EXECPTIONS.
If you are the only driver/rider you can leave it in the pit and regiter. This should be self explanitory. No double dipping.

If you don't make the call (and you should have plenty of notice) you will go to the bottom of the list. Please don't expect to negotiate on this as it will make it unfair for everyone if we start shuffling.

This system will allow you plenty of time for proper between run maintenence without the pressure to "get in the queue for another run". Your race vehicle will be on a tarp in your pit and you will be able to chill in the shade or watch some racing and have more time to enjoy the event.

With everyones cooperation this new system could work very well and improve the event.

Thanks Chris
Chris
OLDtimer

Re: The new Pre Stage

Post by OLDtimer »

Well done, Chris. Great idea, this will stop people refueling in the lineup without tarps under their vehicles, as occurred last year. See ya up there, Pete, DLRA #6.
RGV

Post by RGV »

That will be a great improvement.

I have a suggestion for the GPS track, I was on the GPS track receiving the units back from the cars/bikes after the run and recording the information, would be a great help if racers could have their information filled out,class, name, driver # etc before they leave the start line so when they hand over the paper to be filled in the person filling in the your speed didnt have to fill in all of your details.
After you have filled in a couple of dozen the novelty wears off. Trying to get the details from someone with a helmet on and the motor running makes communication difficult to say the least.

Thanx
Dave (Last Minute Racing)

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Dave

The guys on the line record the info that you are after. We'll just get them to regularly hand it over rather than duplicate effort.

Lynchy
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

Good idea Chris and about time.

There has been some clear thinking missing on the issue of staging. I won't go into the finer details but the way it worked wasted a lot of time that could have been spent working on vehicles.....

Refuelling was just one of them.

What about passing on the way to the start?...... a general reinforcement of manners wouldn't go astray this year , I found a species of racer several times last year that I thought was rare on the lake...Often it was the crew rather than the racer themselves but , general courtesy was a little less prevalent than it had been.......

jeez , i'm getting excited, anyway ...back to the shed.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
momec3

Post by momec3 »

There will be no race to the startline.

Each time a group leaves pre stage for the startline the driver on pole will be given the running sheet to hand to the chief starter. The starter then relays this info to the timer in a full group.
I foresee in future years linking pits, startlines and timers with laptops and wireless connection. I hope we can get this up for 2012 but hav'nt pushed for the extra expense this year.
I would guess our new timing system would already be armed for this capability.

There will be no oppertunity for queue jumping and anyone who has a problem with that best come and see me before their first run. :evil:
Anyone who complains they are not getting enough runs had better have put their hand up to help first then refer the complaint to Animal. He should be able to help.

Chris
Chris
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Chris

I had the opportunity recently of speccing up a solar powered mobile wireless repeater setup. We were looking at about $8 - 9k per trailer x 2 for a Rolls Royce solution. I was hoping the group would go ahead with them and we'd end up with first dibs on them in a year when the project completes and pick them up for a fraction.... doesn't look like a goer though. 2 of these + an antenna on the roof of the timing van = instant wireless network for start line, pits and timing van.

Lynchy
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

momec3 wrote: I foresee in future years linking pits, startlines and timers with laptops and wireless connection. I hope we can get this up for 2012 but haven't pushed for the extra expense this year.
I would guess our new timing system would already be armed for this capability.
Chris
car and driver bar-code, done.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
momec3

Post by momec3 »

The technology is plainly there, we as a club need to make the next step in commiting to it at some future point.
Bar code is a fine idea.
The biggest delay between runs will soon be down to the delay in radio communication. The wireless link would elliminate that. We need to get maximum runs per hour and every minitue makes a big difference.

Chris
Chris