TEST & TUNE WEEKENDS IN S.A.

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

Holeshot

Re: TEST & TUNE WEEKENDS IN S.A.

Post by Holeshot »

Hi all
Here's a link to my friend Lionels MPS/G1650 ZX14R Kawasaki at the track on saturday.
Spun the wheel pretty hard through 2nd gear, and at about the 900 meter mark his foot came off the right footpeg and he ended up off to the left of the track where the bump is. Pretty scary stuff.
Hope you enjoy. Jim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQLMQcVA ... ideo_title
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

That braking area bump looked somewhat uncomfortable too ..
I light of the limited run off , a less than clear side of the track if someone exited left or right , and rough surface
also that this is a test and tune not a record setting meet , should we think about speed limits (thats going to be a popular concept :shock: )
Work load stopped me attending but i would deary loved to test out some fairing changes and would need 170-200mph to do it but i think not on that track .
RGV

Post by RGV »

Nice vid Jim, A speed limit?? lets make it 250 mph maybe. :lol:

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
penny

Post by penny »

Greg Watters wrote:That braking area bump looked somewhat uncomfortable too ..
I light of the limited run off , a less than clear side of the track if someone exited left or right , and rough surface
also that this is a test and tune not a record setting meet , should we think about speed limits (thats going to be a popular concept :shock: )
Work load stopped me attending but i would deary loved to test out some fairing changes and would need 170-200mph to do it but i think not on that track .

we measured the track and worked back from the catchment area .(which is the same material as used in downhill truck runoffs and extremely soft and awkward to walk across ) this gave us an end to the track proper .
we removed stardropper pickets and moved back tire barriers from the edge of the bitumen , all suspension testing "bumps ' and or ripple strips were identified by cones . If this meeting becomes a success we would probably be allowed to remove some of these .
Cones at trackside and white tire barriers marked the end of the test track and 50 metres further down the bitumen changes to half a shade in colour .
All these details were addressed at the drivers meeting
A spotter was positioned at the " finish " to report back to the starter and , as happened , to rreport to the starter any problems with a run.

Tailem Bend IS and WILL remain a test and tune track .MPH runs would be limited by the length of the track and at the disgretion of our volunteer "officials of the day "

but come anyway for the party . paul penny .
glengowrie annexe of the Institute of Backyard Studies
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

There are more videos of the event on youtube. Search "dlra test". Pete DLRA #6
PLUCKA

Post by PLUCKA »

What a great weekend certainly worth the drive (780ks)and the money. Great evening entertainment even if I had to bring some of it with me (pulse jet) and a fantastic group of people. Thanks to the organisers Pete,Mike, Dave and Paul. Be there next time for sure.

Plucka :D :D :D :!:
penny

Post by penny »

As we had a few members of the Institute of Backyard Studies present at the event and the " party " , your pulse jet would come under the term "deep shed science "
glengowrie annexe of the Institute of Backyard Studies
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

I can see where this is leading to :D :D :D

Not so sure about the standard of safety equipment though :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink:
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

Cookey wrote:I can see where this is leading to :D :D :D

Not so sure about the standard of safety equipment though :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink:
Do you think he should be wearing noise cancelling earmuffs?
G
They make it
I make it work
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

No it's the lack of gussetts on the uprights in the cage...

Seriously though, what a ***ckin Wally.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Dr; you missed the NZ reference on the pic.
His not a Wally his a Kiwi. :wink:
Chris
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

momec3 wrote:Dr; you missed the NZ reference on the pic.
His not a Wally his a Kiwi. :wink:
See the Ill-pee-gee bottle?

Lot of time went into that pulse jet....not very much time went into the rest of it.

Check the square tube part of the frame ....the right side he just missed the chance to triangulate the front section where the tube drops to the lower rail but when it came to the left?...triangle schmi-angle.

from the site...

The power to weight ratio is extremely good, producing some really astounding acceleration, and the noise is astonishing -- especially when the engines lose synchronization and a beat-frequency can clearly be heard modulating the level of sound and vibration.
One thing that immediately became apparent however, is that if the engines do lose synchronization, there's a definite tendency for the exhaust of one to be ingested by the other, resulting in a premature flame-out.

This problem will be significantly reduced when the augmentors are added but in the meantime, a simple dividing plate between the two intake pipes seems to have dramatically reduced the magnitude of the problem -- albeit while making the engines less likely to sync-up in the first place.

It's been quite a while since I updated this website but I've been very busy in the workshop. Here's a picture of what I've currently got under construction:

Early tests on Jet A1 indicate that this thrust can be lifted to around 180lbs each and, with the addition of an augmentor, a figure of around 220lbs of static thrust per engine should be possible -- for a total of 440lbs.

The entire vehicle currently weighs in at under 180lbs so I'm expecting some pretty impressive acceleration and speed"

So it's all deflectors and augmentors....what about a fire suit, gloves ,er and a decent rig to mount that BBQ on......oh and I'd hate to seem old fashioned but brakes are catching on over this way.....
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
momec3

Post by momec3 »

I thought it was just me who couldn't see brakes.
Chris
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

Not so sure about the standard of safety equipment though :

Come on Aussies , toughen up , we dont need to be wrapped up in cotton wool in NZ .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

Looks like it has been updated with a body and another tube in the roll cage.

And can be yours for a mere NZ$ 3,500.00 :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
http://www.classiccarfair.com/shop/Race ... gster.html
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363