Lake condition and forecast

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

neilc

Re: Lake condition and forecast

Post by neilc »

Yes, nice video.

Now there must be plenty of guys with experience of salt lakes that can give us a bet on '12 happening at all now? Is it 50/50 ? 10/90?

Is this going to dry out?

I don't want to drive all the way to Port Augusta and back again to find out it's off :shock: , there are other things I'd like to do with my holidays than a country drive.

fingers crossed
Norm

Post by Norm »

Well said Neilc. Yes its a long way for a pie plus the costs involved. Yeah lets hope we get good news. This water stuff is becoming an annual event which I really think that a different time of the year should be looked at. Oh well lets hope that things dry out

Norm
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

This is the Elders guesstimate for Nonning - march, not good,,,
Issue Notes
The hemispheric long wave pattern has remained stable in recent weeks. There are five main troughs. Currently the most significant troughs are near the longitudes of the southwest Indian Ocean, eastern Australia, New Zealand, the southeast Pacific, and the Atlantic Ocean. Summary: Over southern and eastern Australia the cold front events with potential to bring widespread rain are now expected about 13 March to 17 March, 21 March to 25 March, and 4 April to 8 April. Rain events originating in the tropics and moving south are possible about 16 March to 20 March, 24 March to 28 March, and 29 March to 2 April. Over Western Australia the strongest cold fronts should occur about 13 March to 17 March, 18 March to 22 March, and 24 March to 28 March.

Issued 05 Mar 2012

Also,,,the Pine creek bridge on the Barrier Highway (just past the SA/NSW border) looks to remained closed for 2 more weeks. until a temporary bridge is built.
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
JonB

Post by JonB »

Risk of further rain is low; http://wxmaps.org/pix/aus.vv.html this site is pretty reliable.
Forecast is reasonably windy which will help evaporation, all we can do is keep fingers crossed.

The Pine Rivers Bridge isn't as much of a detour as I first thought, it's only an extra 300km from Brisbane.

Jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
project100

Post by project100 »

I nearly had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met.
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

We are going up to the lake on Friday and I will post a report as soon as we get back in range for my internet connection.
Sorry that it can't be sooner but work prevails. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Friday would be good Cookey, it'll give the lake time to show how it's coping with the water,,,,,,,
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

Hey Tiny
I'm sure your post from earlier today cheered everyone up no end :)
Cheers Mossy
PS The next 7 day forecast for Pt Augusta is sunshine and 29/30C, maybe we should move it forward a week :)
DLRA # 959
IN2VWS

Post by IN2VWS »

Just a question.....
Who decides whether the event is a goer? Is it in consultation with the Aboriginals, or purely a DLRA decision now?
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

It's purely a DLRA decision from here I believe. Approval is in place for the event to take place but it will be lake condition dependant from here. The lake may also look good and be solid out in the centre but the ramp is the weak link or rather the salt surface from the ramp to the thicker salt. It needs to be able to withstand event traffic.
OLDPOP

Post by OLDPOP »

Mossy
It use to be a week earlier but the changed it last year to this date
can remember why something to do with ice supply not sure

Regards

Phill H
DLRA # 1102
IN2VWS

Post by IN2VWS »

Nah, it was to do with the full moon and the planets aligning etc.....The full moon lining up with Uranus or something like that.
RGV

Post by RGV »

Did the club end up buying more of the plastic pads that were used in 2010 at the ramp?

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

Can now confirm that we will be going in to the lake on Friday and plan to be at the ramp area by early afternoon.
If need be we will be picking up a 4WD at Port Augusta and going in from the Iron Knob turn off to check the road conditions from that end.
David Pluckhahn (PLUCKA) will be coming up via the alternate route to the lake which (if necessary) may mean a longer trip for those with 2WD and low slung trailers etc.
Hopefully we can upload a full report including photos from Mt Ive Station on Friday night and let all forum viewers know the findings.
Based on a previous posting the call will be based on the suitability of the lake to sustain racing and access & egress thereof.
All other requirements for the running of Speedweek 2012 are in place.
The suggestion that a call should be made on the probability basis is an excellent idea and I firmly believe that the judgement of those who make the inspection should be taken with due respect.
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Absolootly Cookey,
Someone has to make the call (be it good or bad & for those who have a long way to travel)
Good luck & thanks for the extra info.
Dennis called in today for a chat, we are of couse still hopefull we will be ok :wink:
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au