Calder Park Thunder Dome Test & Tune?

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

internetscooter

Calder Park Thunder Dome Test & Tune?

Post by internetscooter »

All,

I wasn't planning on 2012 (targeting 2013) but instead I was planning a track day somewhere to test things out (probably Philip Island). As now everyone is in the same boat I thought I'd see if Calder Park (Thunder Dome) might be an option for everyone http://www.calderpark.com.au/venue/thunderdome.aspx.

I was figuring that being an oval sloped track it "might" suit DLRA vehicles. We could even stick timing down the straight and have license runs (just a thought but I am not sure if it would suit).

Anyway, I filled out the query form a few weeks ago but have heard nothing back. They might be ignoring me as small fry - I don't want to bug people if there is no interest but happy to take this further if there is. Does any one have experience with such tracks?

1) Would Thunder Dome suit DLRA cars?
2) Would the oval track suit bikes?

I am figuring if the answers are yes and yes, then if the price was right there would be keen interest.
Paul
---
DLRA #647
89.664 mph (aiming for 100mph+)
www.vespalabs.org
IN2VWS

Re: Calder Park Thunder Dome Test & Tune?

Post by IN2VWS »

IMO it won't work. The straights are too short. Compare the track to the 1/4 mile strip in the picture.
Most of our cars are setup for going in a straight line, not for high speed cornering.

DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Feedback that I had several years ago is that the banked oval is a very rough ride. As it has continued to settle there hasnt been the maintainance to the track.

Also I personally know of 2 organisations that have been burned by previous regimes of Calder Park management and I see nothing to give me confidence in the current management.
Just my 2 cents...
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
internetscooter

Post by internetscooter »

ok - thanks for the feedback - I thought going around a bend on 24 degree angle would be a bit hair raising on two wheels... even without a bad surface...
Paul
---
DLRA #647
89.664 mph (aiming for 100mph+)
www.vespalabs.org
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

I could just see you elbowing out all the NASCARS high on the banking Paul.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
vetteracer

Post by vetteracer »

G'day- I think it probably won't work for dedicated salt vehicles. On a "rally'" about 10-12 years ago, we ran the Calder flat track, the drag strip, and the 'dome. With good quality road tyres, (not the DOT legal race tyres I used on Targa Tas.) the Corvette hit 220km/hr before braking for the turns- had to accelerate hard to achieve this speed. With hard braking, it still drifted up the banking during the turns. Have always thought that oval track racing is a bit like sex- bloody good fun doing it yourself, but boring watching someone else doing it! Have tried to get interested in watching Marcus in the US, but can't maintain interest.
My 2bob's worth,
Denis
XDXR6T

Post by XDXR6T »

I am positive Thunderdome wont be suitable. I have driven Talledaga at 175mph in a proper sprint cup car with sticker tires. Even with 33 degree banking its difficult to keep the thing on track. My right forearm was pumped up and aching after just 20 laps. It would be a disaster.