2013 Speed Week

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

DLRA
Site Admin

2013 Speed Week

Post by DLRA »

The 2013 Speed week page has now been updated with pre-entrants from 2012.

http://www.dlra.org.au/2013.htm

Have a look if you've entered.
If ALL your details are not listed contact Carol (preferrably by email) with your;
  • Membership Number
  • Name
  • Vehicle Number (if you have multiple vehicles nominate numbers eg. 226, 226A)
  • Vehicle Description (Year/Make/Model)
  • Vehicle Colour
  • Class
There is information on vehicle styles and classes and engine displacements breaks on the website. If you don't know what class you will be running, contact your Catagory Representative;
Special Construction James Stewart
Vintage Cled Davies
Classic Representative required
Modified Bob Ellis
Production Steve Charlton
Diesel Truck Steve Vowerk
Motorcycle Graham Hadley
(contact details available of the Contact Us page)

We are not going to chase individuals for these details any longer, it is your responsibility to provide this information.
If we don't have your class details recorded in the timing system, you will be running for TIME ONLY and will NOT be eligible for class records.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
DLRA
Site Admin

Re: 2013 Speed Week

Post by DLRA »

Use of a suffix for second entries and the new timing system

Just replied to an update of class details from Mal Hewett, who was also asking about the numbers he had to display and I thought it would be a good idea to provide this explanation to everyone.

"In answer to your second question, yes you do have to run 234B, because it is a separate entry / different class.

The way it will work with the new timing equipment is...
You will come up to the start line and the starter will relay your vehicle number to the timing caravan and then your class details.
The timer will retrieve your details from the timing software by typing in your number and then check your class details.
If they match, the timer will give the all clear and your in the hands of the starter.

If they are different the timer will then have to ask the starter to confirm the class details, which may include talking to the driver or crew (if they are available). Then the starter has relay the corrected details to the timer who then has to update them in the software before the run commences.
Now you can imagine holding a conversation on the start line with a vehicle going is not an easy or pleasant thing to do and all this to-ing and fro-ing takes up extra time. If we had to do this several times each day of running it's going to put us behind in the number of runs we can do each day and put a fair bit of wear and tear on our poor old starter."
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

or we could park the vehicle to the side while details are confirmed and keep sending down vehicles that are correct??

Lynchy
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

Would it be easier to have a second laptop on the start line, either looking at the live db or a download from the db earlier in the morning so the assisstant at the start line can double check the cars/bikes in the line up before they get to the line. I think it would be better for the start line or admin to be doing the updating of the db so the timer can concentrate on what he should be doing and not having to worry about db management.
Just a thought.
GAZ
RGV

Post by RGV »

And a very good one at that GAZ. I worked on the GPS track in 2010 and the amount of competitors that had made mistakes on or hadn't filled out THEIR paperwork was amazing. And then they expected us to correct THEIR mistakes. One said he had forgotten his (paperwork) so would I mind going up to his pits to get it while he got back into the line for another run. :roll:
All paperwork should be checked then double checked before you get in line.

Dave

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

G'Day Gaz,
Having a laptop at the startline is something I've been trying to make happen for a few meetings now. But we' ve never had anyone at the startline willing to take it on. This was all part of previous discussions about setting up a wireless network as well. I got as far as finding out it was possible over the distances we have and that a system could be put together at a reasonable cost. And thats where it sat until now, plus the frustration of not running for a few years.
Thats why the club bought the 3 laptops all those years ago, but we've never had the personel to use them. I've got 1 and I think Chris and Stan or Cled has the other.
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Are you going to issue Arab headpieces, so the fellas can see whats on the screens out there on the bright salt, :?: :) ,,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
RGV

Post by RGV »

Looks like a glorified cardboard box but we could probably make something that would work as long as the laptop was on a table.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COMPUSHADE-S ... 795wt_1394

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/THINKTANK-PH ... 088wt_1394

Dave

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

After several yrs of using a jacket the missus brought me one of these
http://www.hoodmanusa.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HOODPC
works pretty good and folds up flat to fit in the computer bag
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

thay would be a start, however out on the salt my experience has been that you have to stop the peripheral light from "all" sides,, with one of those set up on a table in a tent ( three walls) would work, :) ,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Having use a laptop since 2001 on the salt I've always had to retire to inside the Club Animal bus to be able to see the screen.
Having the registration caravan now should make this a good location to be able to update the database etc. and I anticipate spending a bit of time there on the Saturday and Sunday.

Looks like a 24 can carton could be ideal as a shade, I might have to purchase several different types to do some solid R&D.

But NOW is the time for entrants to be looking at the pre-entrants page on the 2013 Speed Week page and making sure we have ALL their details correct. ;-)
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

I know that Lynchy has a million dollar laptop that works in direct sun and that will run from a car battery. How about it mate... can you bring it down and look after my MoTec programming as well?
GAZ
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Gaz

I've had to leave the million dollar lappy at the project I just finished at. (If anyone is interested... it was a Motion tablet PC that retailled at around $5000 including lots of extras - It was the best lappy ever out in full sun and was ruggedized - I dropped it out of the work ute a few times and it laughed at me! But full sun - no problem!!!)

If the DLRA is interested, I could be convinced to spend a few bucks of my own on some awesome wireless gear that I was checking out for a road project. It is good for up to around 20 kilometres (line of sight) and has enough bandwidth for what we need and then some!!

Lynchy
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Lynchy wrote: If the DLRA is interested, I could be convinced to spend a few bucks of my own on some awesome wireless gear that I was checking out for a road project. It is good for up to around 20 kilometres (line of sight) and has enough bandwidth for what we need and then some!!

Lynchy
Sounds interesting Paul, if you think it's something that the club could afford I'd be happy to put forward a proposal.
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Greg - I'll PM you