2013 Speed Week

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

Lynchy

Re: 2013 Speed Week

Post by Lynchy »

also bear in mind that we closed the GPS track early in 2010 due to a lack of punters wanting a run... Most of thursday was an empty line with some racers doing laps.
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

Very interesting stat's Greg.
I found that aside from the incidents and accidents that caused major hold ups this year we had an abnormal amount of (for me as timer) delays between when we called "course clear" and when the next runner left the start line.
No reflection on the starters but maybe the hot weather played a role in the delays. Some time it was a couple of minutes as the driver got into the car or onto the bike and started it.
My records show that we ran over 110 runs down the main track in a single day a few years back before we had the GPS track.
This year we had by far too many racers who for one reason or another choose to run way out the top end when they only nominated (and in most cases were capable) of running a short course time.
These runs increased the turn around time to up to 12 minutes per pass and also the communications issues contributed to this somewhat.
It has been stated previously that finding an appropriate turn out road and running back on the emergency services road was a major issue that can and will be rectified in the future but from my point of view as the chief timer, I must seriously consider whether the fact that on most days I was out on the course setting up before sunrise and then getting off the lake after dark was really worth the effort!!!
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
Rob

Post by Rob »

Lynchy wrote:also bear in mind that we closed the GPS track early in 2010 due to a lack of punters wanting a run... Most of thursday was an empty line with some racers doing laps.
G'day Paul,

Thursday 2010 we closed at 4pm and it was after about 1pm or so they started running laps.

The same thing happened much later on the Thursday this year and the 8 runs on the Friday were one team licensing (until their car quit) and a couple of bikes still tuning/problem solving. There were a couple more on the Friday but their problems prevented them from actually running so they left. By that time you could have fired a gun in the pits and not hit anyone, Thursday in the pits was as vacant as I've seen them at that time of the week.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Cookey, the start line delays were all due to cars not being ready as soon as the signal was given, some then required a push start and wouldn't run cleanly enough to drive away from their push car and some aborted their run before you could even see them. Motorcycles were universally ready and gone within seconds of being given Pete's thumbs up. The car guys, understandably, were reluctant to suit up too early because they would overheat waiting for their run, especially if there was an unexpected delay. Some crews asked me to tell them when the car or bike three in front of them was going so they had some lead time. I did this for every car and repeated that all week as the line shortened. I also tried to get people to line up in running order so that it would be obvious but everybody, cars and bikes, were reluctant to roll up to the start line, for some reason they all would hang back out of order and wait for instructions. This got better as the week progressed and more people had experienced what we needed. I hope to be able to fix this for next year by making everyone come forward in running order as soon as they arrive at the start line area. I will be discussing this and more at the QTA meeting this Sunday.

The easiest way to get the car guys organised in plenty of time would be to have them better prepared for the heat, which caught most people by surprise this year. We should encourage people to do everything they possibly can to be able to be comfortably strapped into their cars and waiting as the car in front of them leaves the line, regardless of the ambient temperature. Cool suits, effective fans (some cars had tiny dashboard fans that would struggle to blow paper off a desk), water sprayers, shade, doors open, heat insulation in the cars (firewall and exhaust), etc, etc. If you look at the Clare video above you'll see that Makita cordless blower that I mentioned elsewhere. One of those should be in every car's crew kit. The shade we have planned for the start line and the cold water we hope to have available should keep people comfortable before they get in the car so that's a start.

My award for "Most Civilised Car Setup of the Meeting" goes to Stephen Muller and his standard VW Polo, which had air conditioning. He just sat in the car with the windows up and a big grin on his face :D !

The other reason the cars were giving us problems was the unavoidable complexity of strapping the driver in and then having to check harness, helmet, balaclava, boots, race suit zipper, gloves, arm restraints, parachute pins, fire bottle pins, etc before they rolled up to the startline. The other problem was door and window nets. Crews often did them up before we could check any of the above and that just made it harder, especially as people hovered around the driver's door trying to provide shade for the driver. I did most of my checks from the passenger's side, which wasn't always easy because many cars had stuff in the footwell that wasn't intended to be climbed on. Next year we'll be asking people not to do up the window net until after we've checked everything. By comparison, the bikes were a doddle, just check zippers, helmet and lanyard and they're done in seconds. I love bikes :wink: !

The next big delay, as reported to me by so many repeat competitors, was the problem of the return roads. I was told every day that they were hard to see and hard to use and there weren't enough of them. One guy even told me that he had seen someone stop on the course, do a U-turn and drive back to an exit because he was lost! We need to have lots more exits with clear and obvious signage and at an angle so they can be used without scrubbing off all your speed. This will also be discussed on Sunday and I will report what the competitors have to say, probably in the "Ideas for 2014" thread.

Having said all that, I can say that the crews for both car and bikes were universally cooperative and did their best to make things happen efficiently and made it a pleasure to volunteer for them. With a grid system that puts competitors in their proper running order and much better preparation for very hot weather I think next year will have very few avoidable start line delays.

:D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Rob

Post by Rob »

David Leikvold wrote:The other reason the cars were giving us problems was the unavoidable complexity of strapping the driver in and then having to check harness, helmet, balaclava, boots, race suit zipper, gloves, arm restraints, parachute pins, fire bottle pins, etc before they rolled up to the startline. The other problem was door and window nets. Crews often did them up before we could check any of the above and that just made it harder, especially as people hovered around the driver's door trying to provide shade for the driver. I did most of my checks from the passenger's side, which wasn't always easy because many cars had stuff in the footwell that wasn't intended to be climbed on. Next year we'll be asking people not to do up the window net until after we've checked everything.
There needs to be a short/concise Start Line Procedure sheet issued/emailed to each entrant (possibly with their entry receipt?) detailing what is expected of them at the start line. We are attempting to dish out too much information at the start of the meet and this is contributing to problems everywhere. With the info up front, hopefully questions can be answered prior to getting to the start line.

All of the procedures as we write them up need to be on one page and grouped accordingly. This way we can link to it in official emails, point people to it here when questions are asked etc. These can be refined as we move forward and find improvements or perhaps things that aren't working. Paul Lynch has made a good start but we need to keep these going and modifying them as required after each meet.

Cheers,
Rob
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Excellent idea, Rob. So many people who came to our start line had missed things at the briefing. If the sheet was also published on the forum more people would be familiar with what is required/expected of them well before the event. We also need a map of the tracks and return roads available well before the event. I was always being asked which return roads were to be used by everyone, competitors and crews alike. We hope to have a noticeboard at the start line that includes a map of all the tracks and return roads, a brief explanation of how the timing system records your speed and maybe even some FAQs. The competitors' comments at our QTA meeting will help to meet their needs better too. I look forward to hearing what ideas come up at the NSW meeting too.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Dave,

A second track map at the staging lanes tent would go a long way to more info before the start line. I'm talking a 5 footer with stand screwed into the salt.

Also a proper, colour, printed and laminated track map on the back of Starter and assistant starter clip boards for the invariable questions that come.

Cheers,
Rob
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

David Leikvold wrote:We also need a map of the tracks and return roads available well before the event. I was always being asked which return roads were to be used by everyone, competitors and crews alike.

These pages have been available on the website for years and have always been updated. http://www.dlra.org.au/track.htm
Plus the track layout and start line layout were in the program that was available from the registration caravan.

Fact is most people do not read the instructions, it's only when things go wrong they go back to the box and look for that crappy bit of paper.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

I could have sold hundreds of them :wink: !
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks Greg,

I knew the map was online but most people don't look at the map there and really take it in, possibly due to the changes that occur to the track each year for various reasons. They get to the start line and then ask the question.

With a map of white board type material at a decent size, we can put in the basic track in red/green paint, the timing van etc. then add the rest of the detail in black permanent marker, making changes as needs be on the day. If the track is shortened we can easily put a black "X" on those track sections not in use etc. At the end of the meet it can be wiped clean for the following year.

That's certainly what's going to happen on the GPS track for next year. It's a simple layout but still people asked the question or got confused (lost?).

Cheers,
Rob
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

Except the map in the program showed 3 return roads from the GPS track on the left, the same as the track lay out on the website, but there was only one return road on the right. Though it does say the track layout may vary, therefore the final track layout really does have to be done at the lake once it is finalised and put on a board for all to see.
(The program also said the the AGM would be at 4.00pm on the Tuesday)

Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959