2013 Volunteer Register

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

DLRA
Site Admin

2013 Volunteer Register

Post by DLRA »

The 2013 Volunteer Register is now available online at http://www.dlra.org.au/schedule.html

As you all know Speed Week cannot operate without volunteers, this register exists to ensure that we have the right number of volunteers where and when we need them.
  • All tasks must have someone nominated to them before Speed Week can commence.
  • Drivers, Riders and their crew are expected to volunteer.
  • If you nominate for a task at a particular time and you cannot for what ever reason fullfill this obligation, its up to YOU to find a replacement before your allotted time, otherwise the track will be closed.
As an extra incentive, team members who nominate early will have a significant advantage when selecting their tasks and times, whereas later entries will have to take what ever tasks and times are left.

If you can't use the online register,email your name and member number and the tasks you want to do to drylakesracersau@hotmail.com
Or post to
Dry Lakes Racers Australia
PO Box 349
Castlemaine VIC 3450
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
outbacktrev

Re: 2013 Volunteer Register

Post by outbacktrev »

Greg,
Put me down for the usual. Prestage Camp etc :D
Cheers,
Trevor
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Already done Trev, your part of the template! ;-)
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Just updated the nominations for this week.
We have had 59 members nominate so far.
Considering that there could be anywhere from 200 to 300 entrants this year, that's not very good.

There are still a number of vital and interesting positions available, remember if your an entrant you are expected to take on at least one shift for the week (morning or afternoon).
If you haven't volunteered by the time you come to registration a position will be selected for you.

We can not run an event without these positions filled.
Get yourself organised now!

Day - Jobs - # Filled
Setup Wednesday - 6 - 1
Setup Thursday - 42 - 18
Setup Friday - 44 - 20
Setup Saturday - 49 - 35
Setup Sunday - 88 - 59
Racing Monday - 100 - 32
Racing Tuesday - 100 - 69
Racing Wednesday - 100 - 65
Racing Thursday - 100 - 55
Racing Friday - 49 - 24
Pack up Friday - 45 - 19
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Had a good week this week with another 21 nominations rolling in and locked away.
But there are still heaps of unfilled jobs.
I have now updated the 2013 Speed Week page for the pre-entrants who have nominated and you can see there are still a lot of entrants who haven't yet volunteered.
Remember this event does not run without volunteers!
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Hey Greg , i'm doin' the usual,will be there on the Wed (about 4 days before most on here),helping with the surveyors,then set up,then tech.

See ya on Sunday,

Bob.
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

I will be at the lake with Bob as well on Wednesday or very early on Thursday morning.
Also across to the meeting on this Sunday.
Pending on how well things go this year, volunteer wise maybe we should look at some sort of incentive/penalty scheme for teams that do not pull their weight in this area. :?: :?: :?:
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
GeeTee

Post by GeeTee »

Hi I have just listed for Campground duties/fees Sunday... this is something I can hopefully do without messing it up :)
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Greg,

If the register doesn't fill up completely before Speedweek, is there anyone or anywhere volunteers can report to any morning or afternoon to be given a job? I expect I'll be at a loose end for major parts of every day so I'd be happy to put my hand up for any last minute tasks that came up. I expect many others would too.

Cheers
Dave
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

I'm hoping by the time Sunday rolls around most entrants will have "volunteered" for something and this should fill it up.
The register will be at the registration caravan for as long as registration is open. And then will be posted each day at the Club Animal bus.
There will be a reminder given at the drivers meeting which is attended by almost everyone.
And if I can see we are going to be critically short in a key area, I'll be making announcements over the radio.
But feel free to drop by any time David.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank those that have nominated for a weeks worth of tasks. They are all champions!
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

DLRA wrote: There will be a reminder given at the drivers meeting which is attended by almost everyone.
not almost everyone
everyone who is in a team that plans to run a vehicle
G
They make it
I make it work
Rob

Post by Rob »

I think this is as good a place as anywhere to thank all those whoe volunteered for the GPS start line. Especially those who came across on the day when those who had put down their names on the register failed to attend.

It was also heartening when I pulled a rider from his bike (with assistance) after deciding he was unfit to run. The rider in question had severe heat stroke and the number of people who rushed to help, poured their drinking water all over him, helped strip his leathers and generally looked after/showed concern for him was brilliant. Give yourselves a well deserved pat on the back.

Lastly thanks to the young boys who helped with the GPS retrieval and recording, acted as runners between the start line and the retreiving/recording team. If I knew who you were I'd send you a certificate of appreciation, you did well.

THANK YOU!

Robert Cranfield
GPS Chief Starter
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Thanks Rob,
As Chief Starter (now retired ) I will second what Rob has said.
From an orginisation stand point we will all admit we were rusty after several years off and I personally was too streched running a race team as well.
Thanks to all those that volunteered and steped up with little notice.
The event won and we will come back stronger and smarter next year.
Rob sacrificed much to run the GPS start, because of its location this time he saw little to no racing on the main track or had time to take in the event because he was "too bloody busy".
All those in an official capacity if asked will admit the same. Most will remain unrecognised or appreciated and after personally finding time to make 3 runs for 3 records I thank them all from the bottom of my heart.
To my startline crew I thank you all, especially Rob, all the others I won't name as everyone made a valuable contribution and I valued your help and input.
We have learnt so much this meeting and perhaps some of our recommendations will be remembered this time.
Well done Rob, and Peter who stepped up and ran the main track. Dave worked 5 days straight and had to hitchhike to the startline.....
Kathy worked daylight to dusk and supported me.
Special mention Andy and Brooke, both background roles not on the startline but essential jobs. Both guys worked from before sunup to last guys off the Lake. I left one night and it was bloody late after seeing new guy Brooke running the Tractor before I got there in the morning then when I left the lake he was still smilling while he broomed my tyres off as I left.
These guys are gold and anyone who raced and did nothing to contribute to running the meeting should be ashamed. Please think about this before you enter next year.
Well done to everyone who volunteered.
Suggestions.
The Club will appreciate all constructive critism. If you don't want to post it PM me your wish list and we will corelate and present all main points at our next Vic meeting.
It took us 2 days this year to get our shit togeather this year so we learnt quickly but remember this when you reply. Don't whine, give good staight points. Especially from a poor confused newbie perspective. I know Paul Lynch wanted to help newbies this year and this was not done as well as he would have liked in his absence.

Thanks Guys
Chris Hanlon
Chris
JonB

Post by JonB »

I would like to thank all of the volunteers for making the week run.

A few suggestions, others opinions may vary.
Mandatory volunteering
I think the volunteer register should give you a volunteer number and you shouldn't be able to register as an compeditor unless your vehicle has at least 1 volunteer session.
It doesn't need to be the driver, anyone from the crew can do it, if the volunteer doesn't turn up at their alloted session then the vehicle is stopped running.
Share the load instead of it all going to a dedicated few.

Timing equipment on the current GPS track, make it a mile longer and time the 2-2.25 and 2-3.
A lot of vehicles including nearly all the bikes could record on the short track.
I often heard Rob calling for vehicles on the GPS track while the line was huge on the long track.

Seperate frequencies for the long track and GPS track and a second reapeater.
Necessary communication on the long track often stopped flow on the GPS track.

Cheers
jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

From the Timekeeper's point of view, we had timing assistant volunteers turn up at the registration van after we started to set up for the day and the racing had commenced.
This precluded getting them out to the timing van and in some instances we had people assisting who were not registered at all.
Any more than 3 people in the timing van at a time is too crowded and led to chit chat etc that was at times an issue when trying to sort out radio calls etc.
Communications are definitely a major issue and must be addressed in future events with the unfortunate incident whereby a car was sent on its way when the main course was closed due to a vehicle spin.

A full report is being prepared for the DLRA committee but some of the major flaws in the new timing equipment were mainly found to be in the software provided to input and store the data.
The system works on the rider/driver's membership number plus the vehicle number being entered for each run and will not recognize letters such as A,B,C,D etc which are used to indicate class changes especially for bikes.
We tried using numeric alternates such as 1,2,3,4 after the vehicle numbers but this only led to confusion especially with some of the older car numbers which became a bike or vice versa. :roll: :roll: :roll:
There are several smaller issues with the software but the major issue with the reporting side is the fact that it only saves the fastest time for a particular run and doesn't give the time of day that the run was made, the split segment speeds (which could be of assistance with vehicle tuning and gear selection etc) and whether the run was nominated as short or long course.
Current class records should also be shown for comparison.

As you may know we had a failure with the 2¼ mile speed timer which could not be repaired and lost some time when the 4 mile system was clobbered when a car spun. This will most likely result in us having to relocate the TSB units further away from the main course in future.
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363