Speedweek 2014

Post by Mossy »

So any thoughts on a date for next year, I want to book my holidays :D :D :D :D

Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
momec3

Re: Speedweek 2014

Post by momec3 »

After the heat related problems and the number of people who suffered from dehydration and heat exhaustion I believe as a club we should seriously reconsider the hasty decision at the AGM to run again in Feburary.

To explain my position on this one of our Team members, Stephen Bridge is still in hospital as a direct result of dehydration at the Lake. He was treated by Dr Scott Lewis through the week but deterioated to a point where Kathy and I had to dump or return flights to help his wife Christine drive him back to Qld. Stephens condition deterioated by Monday on the way home and we had to take him direct to hospital before we made it home. He was immediatly transferred to Greenslopes Hospital with renal failure. Thankfully because his kidneys were healthy before the event he is battling back and is expected to make a near full recovery. As I said he is still in hospital with no firm eta on when they will release him. He did not even get to drive any of his race cars after 3 years of toil to make it to the lake. He tried to do everything right, took and drank electrolytes and water etc. Spent a lot of time in the A/C in his Cruiser.
This was one case that i know of that had a very serious result.

As Chief Starter for the week I know on the Main track we had lots of Riders and Drivers that really suffered from the heat waiting for runs. We had bike guys especially almost passing out on the line and we resorted to a wet towell around their necks and Startline crew holding brollies to keep them coherent. All were determined to run regardless.

Rob Cranfield will give a more accurate idea of his GPS line but I believe we had people passing out in the staging lanes and needing medical help.
These are not the sort of conditions we should be launching guys/gals off on some extremlely fast machines.
This is a very dangerous way to run a race meeting.
Personally I have been to the Lake since 2000 and have never suffered as much as I did this time. Seeing what has happened with other racers I think Feb was a fine experiment but it failed.
My personal opinion is late March or April are the best times to race. We are currantly in a El Nino weather pattern, this means dry.
Last couple of year were in La ninya that means wet. It don't matter what month we run when the weather is against us.

I have asked Greg Wapling to put this on the Agenda for discussion at the next Melb meeting and I hope all members give it some thought and respond.

btw I asked Christine Bridge for permission to write the above health detail on Bridgee. She agreed and supports me on this. She was damn close to losing her husband.

Chris Hanlon
Chris
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Sorry Mossy,

Me requesting the above rethink might delay a date or the commitee may already have it locked in.

Chris
Chris
hawkwind

Post by hawkwind »

Thanks for that information I will add it to my rule change request re perforted leathers. Whats so freeking hard to understand that a cooler and alert rider is 1000% more important to concider than some almost never happens onboard fire, I hope that common sense prevails.
gary
Vehicle......................A new creation.
Designed by................Troglodyte.
Engineered/ built by......Rustic.
Financed by.................Nickles & Dimes.
Rider......................... Tardus Vetus Inflatio
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Thanks Hawk,
1000% correct :wink:

Chris
Chris
rgn

Post by rgn »

For the bike people I would like to see at each start line (gps and long course) 2 x 6mt gazebos end to end, providing shade for 3 bikes, crew, and riders geared up and ready to go. This puts them out of the sun long before their runs, and in the inevitable case of a delay, they remain out of the sun.

Perforated leathers only really provide a cooling benefit once you are rolling with airflow acting on them. I agree however that the best and safest road-race technology should be available to us, and the non-perf spandex panel rule needs to go.

On the point of stupid rules, is any one making a submission on the support vehicle motorcycle tow back rule?

There needs to be a conversation regarding many of these rules. When are we going to have it?

Cheers.
Ralph
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Effective shade at the long course/short course start line is a good idea but the shade moves all day. The track runs north/south so in the morning the shade is behind the start van and in the afternoon it's in front of it. If the two hypothetical gazebos for motorcycles were oriented the other way (east/west) there would be better shade available for more time each day. The tarp in front of the start van was inadequate. It was too small and in the wrong place. In the afternoon the area was crowded with people looking for shade who obscured the view of the start line officials.

Kim Krebs was telling me that at Bonneville they have a large shade area for competitors with cold water and chairs available. With a few more tarps and a couple of eskies with ice we could do the same thing next year. The best idea, but certainly not the most realistic, would be to have a big evaporative cooler blowing cool air at the shaded area. Victor Bray had a pair of them pointed at his merchandise van at Indy one year, he must have made a fortune from all the people enjoying the cool air and buying stuff!

In the meantime, and now knowing how hot it gets, we should all try to be better prepared. I would suggest for next year that people try to be as self-sufficient as possible. Bring some kind of shade structure. Bring your own chairs, water and best of all, bring a wet towel. The evaporative cooling effect was amazing and a huge relief from the heat. If anyone wants to lend us a strong tarp, poles and ropes for the week we'll do our best to look after it all.

If you have to ride out by yourself PLEASE make sure you are well fed and watered before you leave pre-stage. This means you, Catman :D !

At this point I don't know what we can do to make shade for cars. The next problem is the push cars, which often had flag poles or whip aerials, both of which would trash a shade structure.

I think the simplest way to solve the heat problem at the start line is to organise competitors in running order from the start. That way competitors could park their vehicles, cars or bikes, in their proper grid spot then walk over to the shade until it was time to return to their vehicles to prepare for their run.

Cheers
Dave :D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
JonB

Post by JonB »

Mean maximum temperature (°C) for years 1969 to 2012
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual
33.4 32.8 29.3 25.0 20.1 16.8 16.5 18.2 21.5 25.0 28.8 31.2 24.9 42

Heat Stress is pretty serious, especially when people aren't acclimatised.
You need to be drinking constantly, by the time you feel thirsty your dehydrated.
The oil and gas industry used to have a fair bit of trouble to the point it now runs training sessions each year and has red alert days over 40c for awareness.
Avoiding the hottest months would be a good start and I agree that Feb is probably a bit too warm and we should aim for a cooler month, a heat stress injury (they can be permenant) is a real possibility.

That aside people do need to take responsibility for themselves and their crews and not expect the club to fix everything for them, it's not a knitting club and its not at the MCG.
You wouldn't leave home without enough fuel and pits shade, grab a beach umbrella and a water bottle.
I pit crewed for my son and gave Goggles and Grumm a bit of a hand, a fair bit of that involved holding an umbrella, getting them a drink etc.
People (including bikes) shouldn't be allowed to leave prestige without a support crew and part of their gig should involve looking after the driver/rider.

jon

P.S.
As far as perforated versus non perforated leathers of the same colour making a difference while standing in the sun I'm going to call BS on that.
Open the zipper if you want a breeze and stop grasping at straw to push a rule change.
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

I'm one of those weird people who quite like the hot weather, its so much better than being cold. :D
However I must admit it was a bit warm on the Monday and after helping out on the GPS start line until about 2.00pm, I elected to spend the rest of the afternoon sitting in the shade in the pits instead of putting the leathers on and lining up for a run.
One of the most effective ways to keep cool I saw was one of the NZ crew had some water in a spray bottle and was just giving everyone a spray every now and then, it was brilliant.
April/May is generally the best weather time in this area, temps low to high 20's and usually very little wind.
Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
harky

Post by harky »

Minutes of January 2013 General Meeting
Correspondence In:
Email from the District Ranger of the Dept. Of Environment, Water and Natural Resources
regarding their concern that we intend to hold Speedweek in February and asking that we submit
a plan on how we intend to manage the possible effects of heat on our patrons including
contingencies in the event of a medical emergency
Our team drank 10-11 litres of water each on the Monday as we were acclimatising. We have experience in exercising in both extremes of climate and are well aware of the lesser known issue of over hydration, which can result in death. We came well prepared (the spray bottle misting works a treat!) and have just come through an Adelaide summer but this was a notch up from that and it could well be hotter.
A member of our team volunteered on the GPS track on Monday morning and took iced water to officials and volunteers in the afternoon, who all did an exceptional job in extreme conditions. THANK YOU! Mildura Ice certainly saved lives. Imagine a week like that without ice.
Any investigation into a heat-related injury would surely request the heat management plan. Is it possible to publish this as well as a general report from the doctor on events of the week, and his opinion on the timing of the event.
Momec3's story of one very serious but fortunate outcome shows just how significant the impact of the conditions was. This should be a warning and taken into account when deciding on next year's date.

Team Harky
#643 & #1142
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

A couple of things here.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. It was exceptional weather (and continues to be), the date was selected in all good faith. Just remember we hadn't run for 2 years and the natives were getting restless. 12 months ago what would have been the response if the committee decided to keep the event in March? They had to ensure an event and they did.
One thing that March or April brings is shorter days. This year the track was open for more hours than ever before. We started earlier, finished later and some of this can be attributed to the available day light hours.
All the committee and officials I have spoken to since the event have remarked how it took them 2-3 days to recover once they returned home. I'm sure that there are a number of entrants in the same boat. Whilst some of this can be attributed to the heat, I'm sure the long days and pressure of the event took their toll.
It was always recognised that it could have been warmer in February, but I was amazed at the lack of preparation for the conditions by some entrants.
Also I agree with JonB, we are all big boys, don't expect to be hand fed and you won't be disappointed. The club is hard pressed to do what it does, with the small number of people that sacrifice their time and effort for the benefit of others. Have a look at what you can do to help, rather than pointing out what others should do.
I also attribute some of the issues that have been raised post event to the high number of first timers this year, I'm not having a go at anyone here, it's just that's what happens when people have not been exposed to something before. There is a lot to take in, new surroundings and conditions, new form of racing, rules, etc.
Our new Public Relations Officer is already on the ball and was negotiating for 2x6x3 shade structures for vehicles and 2x3x3 shade structures for both start lines during Speed Week. These will all be sponsored at no cost to the club.
He has also arranged sponsorship for the vehicle log books, so the cost of printing these to the club will now be greatly reduced.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
rgn

Post by rgn »

DLRA wrote:Our new Public Relations Officer is already on the ball and was negotiating for 2x6x3 shade structures for vehicles and 2x3x3 shade structures for both start lines during Speed Week. These will all be sponsored at no cost to the club.
That is great news, and will make a huge difference to competitor comfort and safety.
hawkwind

Post by hawkwind »

P.S.
As far as perforated versus non perforated leathers of the same colour making a difference while standing in the sun I'm going to call BS on that.
Open the zipper if you want a breeze and stop grasping at straw to push a rule change.

Jon ..there is a process called transpiration ,it happens regardless of movement through air ,so yes even standing still perforations will keep you cooler. Understand the science and be a little wiser :?: . We will have to agree to disagree on this matter :) looking forward to meeting in person and having a cood beer and a chat :) .

Thanks Greg for your input< agree that ultimate responsibility resides with the racer and not the club (COMMITTEE) BUT the start lines are special cases .Do we allow every racer to pitch a shelter at the start line ??? good news to hear that some shelter is being donated :) IMHO the club which is ALL MEMBERS needs to ensure that suitable shelter and refreshment is available at the start lines for racers ,onlookers and especially the starters.How we achieve this is open for dicussion.
Sadly things change as we get more and more members and racers ,from simple to complicated such is life.
gary
Vehicle......................A new creation.
Designed by................Troglodyte.
Engineered/ built by......Rustic.
Financed by.................Nickles & Dimes.
Rider......................... Tardus Vetus Inflatio
JonB

Post by JonB »

Gary
Transpiration is generally carried out in conjunction with photosynthesis.
Joke, ok...

I do understand a little about heat stress, helped to put together and deliver training packages.

A high tech solution being investigated by another low budget form of racing:

Shade and a drink, we should see if it works out for them.
Depends wether your pit crew are there to help or just spectators.

Hope to see you at the lake.
jon
Last edited by JonB on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Gary,

I'd have no problem at all with an assortment of tarps being put up near the start line, just so long as they were within cooee of the line so we could get the competitors back to their vehicles in plenty of time. There's no such thing as too much shade at the salt. Perhaps in a line down each side of the grid area. Bring a few chairs too. Leave them all there for the week so everyone can use them. I'll pull the tarps down at night and put them back up in the morning before we get our first group of ten. It'll work fine.

Cheers
Dave :D

And a BIG thank you to the Mildura Ice people, I really do think they played a huge part in making the event the success it was. Best wishes also to Bridgee, I hope you're on the mend.
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!