Speedweek 2014

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

Cookey

Re: Speedweek 2014

Post by Cookey »

I didn't know that we still have all of you Rocket Scientists in Oz any more. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
RGV

Post by RGV »

Heres another thought. Your team member/support vehicle driver is off doing some volunteer work, does this mean you cant run. I think that there needs to be a lot of thought put into this before a final decision is made.
We might want to consider the extra amount of traffic that this will put on the salt.
On the GPS track I think a recovery vehicle ready to roll should be enough to minimise the traffic on the return road, so one vehicle can service multiple cars/bikes. No need to clutter the staging area unnecessarily.

Dave

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Perhaps establish another volunteer position of a retrieval crew for each course. Find an appropriate vehicle they can use and then we don't really have the problem anymore. It would certainly be useful for entrants who come alone and it would solve the problem of airhead "crews" who are really just spectating. Maybe make a bike trailer like Dorothy's that can take the big heavy Jap bikes. Oh wait, there's no point, big Jap bikes never break down, God bless 'em 8) !
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Rob

Post by Rob »

rgn wrote:How long does it take a support vehicle to get to the other end of a 9 mile track after the course is called clear at 60 kph? Some beads fell of the abacus last night... Oh come on I'm joking... I still have the slide ruler.
I didn't make the rules, talk to National Parks.

I don't advocate getting up anyone for doing a sensible speed but when people are clearly into 3 figures, on the return road, in their race vehicle, right near the pits :roll:
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
BONES

Post by BONES »

Hey all
[quote="RGV"]Heres another thought. Your team member/support vehicle driver is off doing some volunteer work, does this mean you cant run. I think that there needs to be a lot of thought put into this before a final decision is made.
We might want to consider the extra amount of traffic that this will put on the salt.
On the GPS track I think a recovery vehicle ready to roll should be enough to minimise the traffic on the return road, so one vehicle can service multiple cars/bikes. No need to clutter the staging area unnecessarily.

Dave while your mate is doing his volunteer work you could be doing the same
There is plenty of room for race and tender vehicles

[quote="David Leikvold"]Perhaps establish another volunteer position of a retrieval crew for each course.
We cannot get enough volunteers now. We need to streamline not make more work.
I have no problems with ride/drive to the line.

I tow because my bikes are not rider friendly and being 2 strokes I like to do a plug chop. I can roll a long way but not far enough off the track, so I push the rest of the way and am verry glad when my chase vehicle turns up with aircon and water

cheers Bones
rgn

Post by rgn »

Hey look Rob, I'm not having a go at you specifically The pits and the roads leading to the point where you move onto the course, and off of it might have a 60 kph or mph limit, but the course? Where does it begin, and where does it end?

I have just read a post by Australia's fastest ever participant, who says he has had enough of the bull shit. And he is leaving the sport because he is sick of AGM timing crap etc...etc.

I don't have a huge back ground in the sport, but i can give you some advice. If you are alienating your highest achievers, you are on the path to destruction.
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

Cookey wrote:I didn't know that we still have all of you Rocket Scientists in Oz any more.
Yep Cookey not all of us could get a start :?
Ya know what Cookey ..... When I was 4 , I wanted to be a fire engine when I growed up...
And when I was 6 and man landed on the moon I wanted to be a Rocket Scientest ,or was that a Rocket (cant quite remember)
But anyway my mum said my spellin was gonna let me down.. and I was a no hope for the rocket industree.. :(

BUT REALLY ... Who actually gives a toss whether one actually uses LOx or N2H4
on that side of the troposphere....

My Attention for 2 complete days at the salt .. was the effin chemical reaction the salt enviroment was havin with me
Methanol CH3OH...
Allways wanderd why many of the fuel records were lower than the gas records ...got a handle on it now (I think )

Anyway..
This is a picture of my BROTHER BILL...

OPPS WRONG PICTURE..

try this one

My BROTHER BILL has a terrible bad habbit of enjoying himself :twisted:
and since he enjoyed himself so much this year he has decided to come back next year...
I did not know he was going to show up.. but he arrived in a speciallty mines equiped type ute with all the essential items,
and he can lift heavy things..
and as by the picture BROTHER BILL has to much time on his hands... and I will nominate him and his vehical to tow the said trailer ... Yet to materalize......
I am beggining to understand the page Ralph is working from ( MAKE THINGS HAPPEN .. ) but don't go asking the club for money..
Ralph .. The big "A" bikes weigh in at around 400 kilos and those guys are pretty self sufficient .. But build to that weight anyway.. I am happy to design and build the device but need to be sponsored for the material ..316 stainless steel is my prefered material...
THE BALL IS ON THE COURT..

Chief motorcycle doo daa
RMJ BROWN ..
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
internetscooter

Post by internetscooter »

Personal Messaging seems to be broken...

If a trailer is going to mean I don't have to find someone dumb enough to stand in 40 degree heat for a week to watch a scooter race, then I'll pledge $200 towards it now and put my name down for a couple of rescue shifts.
Paul
---
DLRA #647
89.664 mph (aiming for 100mph+)
www.vespalabs.org
RGV

Post by RGV »

Bones I did volunteer, just that mine and my pit crew were not at the same time not knowing that a recovery vehicle was compulsory. Better planning will help next time. Double the amount of vehicles in the staging area? Going to need more room.

Dave

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
rgn

Post by rgn »

I was offering to build a trailer for the DLRA

My team and I have have proven our desire to help fellow members:

Last edited by rgn on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

rgn wrote:If you are going to build it oversize, it would make getting it there difficult.

It would probably pay to have anything you get made Gal dipped? Perhaps we should start a trailer thread? I can probably help in this area. I can start the thread... (that's a joke).

What size does the tray have to be, and how much weight are you planning on putting on it?
rgn wrote:I was offering to build a trailer for the DLRA Moron.

I'm telling you F-trev, back in the days when I fought the shearers for money on a Friday night at the Rennie pub, is coursing through my veins right now. Want to make a charity event of it? No gloves. Your call.

My team and I have have proven our desire to help fellow members:

Half-wits everywhere. Check in with your 300 mph members. I'm going to be one.
EXCUSE ME FOR BEING A BIT OF A SIMPLETIN.. and for not understanding what I read..... more clearly..
but you used the word "you" twice.. In my understanding of the Queens english. (God bless her , hope she recovers from her stomach illnees soon ) when the word " you " is said by one particlar party in the conversation it means the other person..
UNLESS : You are reffering to yourself in the third person..

Please explain.... Am I conversing with Ralph or his mouth...
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
rgn

Post by rgn »

Ralph.
rgn

Post by rgn »

I want to whole heartedly issue an apology to Trev.
Last edited by rgn on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonB

Post by JonB »

It should be up to the rider/driver/vehicle owner to decide whether they get picked up or make their own way back if the vehicle can do so.

They just need someone at the start line to pick them up in a timely manner if the whizzy bits either stop whizzing or come out to catch some sun.
If you can generally make it back under your own power and you line up with a couple of mates you just need to come up with a recovery vehicle between you.
It'd be a handy place to keep your water bottle and umbrella when it's your turn to start as I'm think an umbrella opening at the 1 mile is going to make you drop your waterbottle.

Lets not make life hard for ourselves, we pay a lot of people in Canberra to do that for us already.

jon

****** "you" in this post refers to the collective of people, not a particular person****
Last edited by JonB on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

****** "you" in this post refers to the collective of people, not a particular person****
who does "we" refer to?