Post by David Leikvold »

Something like this would be useful for next year and beyond:

http://www.scta-bni.org/pdf/2012%20Rook ... 0small.pdf

:D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Clarebrothers

Re: Ideas for 2014

Post by Clarebrothers »

Hi Dave we have one Gary Satara & Paul Lynch are all over it. No Pic in it yet but is very good working Document
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Dave

I did one up a few years ago and it was to debut at this years event but I didn't get to it. Greg posted it up on the website for people to download but I can't find the link at the moment. Send me a PM if you want a copy.

If anyone else wants it PM me with your email address as well.

Lynchy
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

G'Day Paul,
The link to the Rookies Orientation Booklet was on the old version of the 2013 page and I'd didn't update for 2014 will do that now.
I've just had a look at it again and I'd like to suggest a couple of new topics, will send you an email with some text that you could use.
For interested others it will relate to entrants being reminded that they are hostile environment and that they need to bring shade etc.
And a bit about selecting a class to run in and making sure they have their vehicle sign written with the appropriate information.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

No worries Greg, send it through. I should review the comments on the forum and add whatever is relevant...
ragged

Post by ragged »

Hello everybody, this is my first post and at the risk of being shot down, I am prepared to make a suggestion. There are many problems I can see that are causing inefficiencies, but just one of those, appears from what I have read today relate to communication. Perhaps I am offering suggestions before I have researched enough of "how it all works" but can I suggest this first?
How difficult would it be for the driver to radio race control when he/she reaches a designated "all clear" point. It would not be too difficult at the end of the day to see which cars are holding up the show, as I assume the starter can or does record the start time, compare that with the "all clear" call from the driver. Each "all clear" point could have an identity location so the driver can inform race control where he is located. EXAMPLE. Driver gets on radio and states " race control, car # 54 all clear at exit point CHARLEY 5". Designated official 'Spotter' radios Race control to confirm, to ensure vehicle is where the driver thinks he is, as the spotter knows now where to look, and can confirm that a particular car is in the location it should be.
RESULT. 1. No radio message = No racing. 2. The track is all clear, and racing continues or 3. We have a driver in a vehicle that could be in danger to himself and everybody else. I know that break downs and accidents take time too, and I do not wish to penalise anybody for bad luck. If a disorganised or disorientated driver is wasting time, then the existing process of "please explain" will identify the problem and a specific remedy can be applied.
I went to the Speed Week this year for the first time, and have returned home a different person. I was only there for two and a bit days but wish to become more involved and hope that I can be of assistance at next years event, with the view of returning at some stage with a car to drive. I am a "green horn" and hope to be a part of the 2014 Speed Week, but will need a little guidance myself, if anybody wants to take me under their wing.
The best way to fix anything is to work out whats actually wrong first.
Best regards
David Shaw
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Welcome aboard David,

Intesesting suggestion. But.. about half entries are bikes.
Also I don't like mounting anything inside a race car that can be a projectile in a violent accident. Still a good idea in principle.
The Slaughter team this year had excellent communication and helped speed up track clearance with good comms to race control regarding their vehicle status post run.

The lake is an amazing place first time you see it ehh. That amazement does not deminish each time you go back. Ain't nothin else like it.

Chris
Chris
ragged

Post by ragged »

Thanks Chris, I knew there would be something obvious that I had overlooked! Dave
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

SCTA at Bonneville actually have observers at each turn out. These guys would be kitted out with radios etc.
We'd be talking 10 extra jobs per day, but maybe it's worth it.
I'll add it to the list.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
RGV

Post by RGV »

DLRA wrote:SCTA at Bonneville actually have observers at each turn out. These guys would be kitted out with radios etc.
We'd be talking 10 extra jobs per day, but maybe it's worth it.
I'll add it to the list.
+ facilities for each observer. A person perched on a 25 ft high tower (if that is decided on) would need replacement quite often I would think.

Dave

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

They sit under a popup with an esky of water and some sandwiches , couple of deck chairs , binoculars and radio
best seat in the house
stewross

Post by stewross »

We run on the short course. In 2010 the turnoff was just before the 4 mile marker, this year it seemed at the 3.5 position. I was expecting it later based on last time and overshot. Also depending on your speed it doesn't allow much time to slow properly and exit safely. I suggest going back to the 2010 position.

SR 832
SR500
Ross Racing
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Don't worry about exits in 2014 Stew, we intend to have them every half mile from the 4 mile all the way to the 8 mile. Every exit will be clearly marked with 300, 200, 100 (metres to the exit) and EXIT signs all in big white letters on a black background, two metres in the air so they can be seen from any vehicle. That way short course runners have a mile to scrub off speed safely and then exit at a decent speed at the big radius, 30 degree straight turnout which will be about 600m long before you reach the marked All Clear Point. DO NOT stop before then unless you have no choice. You can then elect at the All Clear Point to stop and wait for your crew if you need them or you can keep going and return to the pits under your own steam at an appropriate speed.

If, for whatever reason, a short course competitor misses the 4 mile exit, there's another one half a mile further along and plenty more after that one too. I'm tempted to put one at 3.5 as well for anyone who can safely use it and to spread the load a bit. This plan is still open for discussion but we will do whatever it takes to provide much better exits than were available this year as they were the cause of many delays.

Cheers
Dave :D
ragged

Post by ragged »

Greg Watters wrote:They sit under a popup with an esky of water and some sandwiches , couple of deck chairs , binoculars and radio
best seat in the house
I could do that job! And to think that I could be paid for that? OK put my name down.
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Speaking of the tower, does anyone own a pile of scaffolding we could use to build it? And a way to get it to and from the lake.

:D