BIKE WEEK/CAR WEEK

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

club animal

BIKE WEEK/CAR WEEK

Post by club animal »

:evil: :? :shock: :idea: I would like to ask your thoughts on bike week/car week my proposal would be we start bike week on the thursday through to sunday car week from monday through to friday purpose built vehicals could run at any time in bike/car weeks, There would be a lot more costs in running a longer event but in the long run more time to race means faster times for all
I look forward to your input into the pros and cons of making this happen
regards
Animal
Regards ANIMAL
Member 151
NAC 200+mph club
DLRA 200 mph club
going fast is my blast
IN2VWS

Re: BIKE WEEK/CAR WEEK

Post by IN2VWS »

Can you clarify 'purpose built vehicles'.
Aren't all our cars purpose built vehicles? Can't use them anywhere else........
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Ignoring the logistical difficulties just or a moment (or logistical changes required, if you have a more glass half full perspective), it would certainly solve the problem of competitors waiting all day and more for a run. If there were about 150 bike entrants running two tracks for 4 days (here I go with the primary school mental arithmetic again) with a five minute average separation that would be a run for each bike roughly every 6 hours. A well run 4 days would mean each competitor would get 6 or 7 runs. Still doesn't sound that good. Or does it?

The cars wouldn't always be so quick to turn around as the bikes but with an extra day it would probably mean the same 6 or 7 runs for the five days.

I DO understand that our TAG Heuer timing system is one at a time only, but more than a few bike racers said to me that they'd be happy to run alongside another competitor if it meant getting more runs. Obviously it could only happen on the GPS track but it could take the numbers of runs over 4 days to 10 or more. I don't want to take this one any further for now, it just upsets people :roll: Please don't tell me about how crazy dangerous it might be, that's already been done. If the pairs of bikes were deliberately mismatched for speed and the fast one left before the slow one they'd never get near each other again.

Or we might spread out the tracks a bit so there was room for a pair of parallel or divergent GPS tracks that went as far as we wanted. That increased capacity would mean lots more runs. Don't hate me for this one either, this topic and this response is ALL JUST HYPOTHETICAL right now.

:D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
JonB

Post by JonB »

Fully support a longer meeting.
Would like to let everyone run for the whole 8 days though rather than split us up.

Do not support 2 vehicles on the track at the same time.

Do suggest resurrecting part of the old timing equipment to allow sub 150 mph records be set on the current GPS course.

jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
club animal

Post by club animal »

IN2VWS wrote:Can you clarify 'purpose built vehicles'.
Aren't all our cars purpose built vehicles? Can't use them anywhere else........
Vehicals like streamliners not the average holden/ford/honda/suzuki
Regards ANIMAL
Member 151
NAC 200+mph club
DLRA 200 mph club
going fast is my blast
IN2VWS

Post by IN2VWS »

club animal wrote:
I hear ya. :wink: Thanks for not counting my VW in with the average cars.
Vote for Animal.
RGV

Post by RGV »

I dont think we should separate bikes from cars. I am a bike nut but dont mind seeing fast cars going fast. I would have trouble watching cars run for a week and not see a bike or be able to compete as im sure some of the car guys would feel the same about us bike riders.
I think a mixture of both keeps every one interested. Well me at least.
Separating the groups also limits the manpower available and makes it a long event for key officials and safety crews.

club animal wrote:
Im sure most vehicles on the salt would become "purpose built"

Dave

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
hawkwind

Post by hawkwind »

Disregarding the logistics and many other things that would need to be sorted for this to work, The idea has merit.

The times would need to be equal at least 4/4 days or 5/5 days. I do believe that the number of bikes now exceeds car entries so less days for bikes with more entries is not a goer for me.

There is still a lot that can be done with what we have maybe extend racing from 5 days to 7 days ........compulsory job register .......and a timed short course (not GPS) limited to 175 mph would improve the number of runs we all get.

Food for thought :wink:

Gary
Vehicle......................A new creation.
Designed by................Troglodyte.
Engineered/ built by......Rustic.
Financed by.................Nickles & Dimes.
Rider......................... Tardus Vetus Inflatio
club animal

Post by club animal »

IN2VWS wrote:
club animal wrote:
I hear ya. :wink: Thanks for not counting my VW in with the average cars.
Vote for Animal.
We do need VWs like yours to look for debri on the track :)
keep on with your mission
regards Animal
Regards ANIMAL
Member 151
NAC 200+mph club
DLRA 200 mph club
going fast is my blast
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Virtually 2 meets back to back may cause a logistics issue with fire and safety etc
better to streamline the running of the meet and have a second functional track, we already have enough manpower invested in the gps track

we could get a lot more down the track in a day , check out the world of speed daily logs for a similar meeting with a shared short course/long course
http://www.saltflats.com/WOS_2012.htm

notice the short course vehicles very rarely time beyond the first mile as they are off the track before the next timer
short day there were a rain event and last day finishing at about 2pm , lines closed at about 12
mal hewett

Post by mal hewett »

Go to a 7 day meet as is Bonneville with two timed courses,The numbers are there and building (although they might drop for next year ) Most bikes will run short course over the timed mile anyhow, leaving lots of runs for the cars on the long course . If you bumped the entry fee up by $100 which still is very reasonable compared to every other form of motorsport , another timing system for the short course could soon be acheived . I really dont think most entrants would give a **** about paying a bit more if they could get a couple of runs in a day instead of 7/8 hour line up and 4 to 5 runs for the week . Put it to the vote at the next AGM
regards Mal
Mal Hewett
Norm

Post by Norm »

What a great idea animal and I would fully support the idea.

Norm
nifty nev

Post by nifty nev »

heres my two bobs worth
bikes monday morning, cars afternoon,, cars tuesday morning, bikes afternoon, same for rest of week. will that speed up proceedings?\
drag cars do 400kph along side each other perhaps worth a try with the bikes one will always be faster than the other may work.
everything is worth looking in to
nev
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Nev quite a few bikes have trouble staying between the flags now only takes a gust of wind to move you from one side to the other, just like a car , i think our insurer would have kittens
club animal

Post by club animal »

VEHICALS WILL NEVER run side by side at the salt
regards
Animal
Regards ANIMAL
Member 151
NAC 200+mph club
DLRA 200 mph club
going fast is my blast