What are you Planning???

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

momec3

What are you Planning???

Post by momec3 »

In an effort to stimulate some discussion, as far as 2013 goes we are past hump day, time to get past thought and begin action.
Who's doing what?
Bikes, cars, secret squirrels, forum lurkers who don't normally say boo but have something happening in their shed or in their head.
Quiet time on the forum at present so thought I'd ask the question.
Even wild dreams if you had the budget, what class, vehicle type is your goal? Longer term plans than next year.

I know Ross will finish the 3 engine streamliner from hell and love the comparison with Internet scooter cause you couldn't get to more extremes to the same equation. Both unique free thinking individual's in a club full of interesting and skilful people. Both convey a story that we enjoy to follow.

Share your stories.

What else is happening, give us your thoughts.

Chris
Chris
harky

Re: What are you Planning???

Post by harky »

ok
In my head is a universal streamliner capsule , ie the front end of the liner that you bolt any power plant to the back .
I should add that mr penny has talked about the same idea to me , so not an original thought by me !
I havnt thought through the Ross B idea of sitting in front of the front wheel .
The "capsule would have extinguishers ,fuel , etc , and the power can be any thing ---- Busha , V8 , multi engines as well as make the unit a 3 wheeler , if that's your thing
If you take it another step you could swap power types , classes during the week and run a different class ---- need multi entries
the idea is not to be confused with a chassis that you change engines , I am thinking a unit you can wheel up and "plug in " the rear half and that can be unlimited in what that power source , size , design is
comments !!!
thanks Chris for opening some discussion
harky
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

I'm planning on buying some wireless network gear and getting Gaz to build some mounts for the antennas in order to test out whether long range wireless network connections will work ok on the lake.... yeah I know... boring!

Lynchy
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Laslo is getting .5mm o/s low comp pistons (NOT $2500 forged) with ceramic tops & oil squirters in an attempt to make it's run last longer than 3 miles :shock:
It's also been de-cammed and there is zero overlap, at the expense of a little less lift, should drop the peak power down to 14,000 rpm, making the way for future increased boost levels :roll:
I need to find somewhere to mount 4 x egt gauges & wideband o2 gauge, along side the already cluttered gauges, but remaining within the GoPro field of view (my data logger) :oops: to help alert me to lean a/f conditions in almost real time
The intake plenum is changing too, hopefully, it'll get rid of the troublesome #4 cylinder's not conforming to the directions it's given.

The other Bob (two bob engineering) is making turbo CBR250r sidecar noises, that'll fry my brain, but looks like being a blow thru system with ice intercooler at this stage, and VP bigbang stuff.
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Looks like a Sidecar for me in 2015 maybe, as a doable project. :D

A low slung rear engine thing, universal engine mounts, 250, 350 at first, Dreaming of 500 (RGV x2), 650 (have to go 4 stroke) classes.

Been talking to Ross about set ups, probably Leading Link Forks ala Speedway sidecar.

No holds barred, if I won Lotto jobby, would be a E/GS Streamliner (car) 4ltr Toyota V8 1uzfe powered. It would look something like Costella/Rock's little yellow Salt Snake (bike) proportionally bigger.

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
Redmohawk

Post by Redmohawk »

Got a little CT90 project on the boil , bored and stroked (outside pritty much appear original) cases barrel and head taken out to 200cc with a XR200 crank macined down to fit the internally machined CT90 cases. Aiming for a Bike that looks as close to stock CT90 (that will still fit into the salt race rules) to do 100 mph on petrol then might stuff enough NOS into the poor thing to see what happens.

With all the other junk projects going on atm might make it in march (big might though)
internetscooter

Post by internetscooter »

I just got told my new baby supercharger is in the country - once we've worked out the pulleys I should get it and begin working out how to fit in the new few weeks :D
Paul
---
DLRA #647
89.664 mph (aiming for 100mph+)
www.vespalabs.org
ChrisACT

Post by ChrisACT »

I'm still working on my M/F 100cc bike. The mighty DT100.

I got the tank mounted last weekend and started work on the seat pan today. Got most of it cut and bent. A little more shaping and cutting then I can TIG it all together.

Bought a tow vehicle a few weeks ago. 1995 Hilux Dual Cab 4WD Diesel. Seems well maintained so hopefully will not see me dying on the side of the road in the desert.

Lots of engine and electrical work to do on the bike and time is running out but I think I'll get there.
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

good call Chris, its been too bloody quiet on here of late, :) ,,
from the posts above it seems that all the motorcycle action in the future is gunna be in the 100cc classes, 8) ,,
at the moment im looking forward to having a good run at Bonneville this year (BUB's and WOS),
will be running N/A ked again at Gairdner next year (that first naked to 200 is mighty tempting :lol: ) ,, then for 2015 will be fitting some slippery bodywork :) ,,
in the meantime the relentless search for "horsepowers" continues, :roll: :lol:
Last edited by Stayt`ie on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Holy shit and I thought everyone had died, or gone to sleep, all these wild ideas and its just 24 hrs.

Blower the size of a small fetus, plug in a power plant, Chris, Red and Internet all focussed on mini me engines. Harky to be honest sitting ahead of the front wheel would scare the shit out of me too but perhaps Ross thinks the same way as P Brock, and I quote, " when I started building the A40; I started at the back while I learnt to weld etc cause whatever falls off behind you doesn't matter". Not sure if he meant the front wheel :wink:
My favourite so far is AutonomouseRX "If I win Lotto Jobby. We all have the Lotto dream and in the wee hours of insomnia that can go lots of directions.
Tiny, wow, how did your school teacher summarise you on a report card. :D
I do love the plug in a class idea Harky.
Thank God for the superb effort from "boring" people like Lynch and a multitude of others in the background. You guys give us a pot to piss in so to speak. We all share the passion .

So I'll fess up, Team Cannonball plan to Plonk the small (301ci) engine out of Alvin ( the purple AU ute) into the F100 and aim squarely at the Bonne record of 164mph in our block of flats. That sounds easy but requires a huge rework in every part of the Effie to make 164mph with a baby motor. Only 5000cc or 50 odd CT110 mills bolted together. (Our frontal area is 49 sq ft with a CD of .52 and fat Lake Gairdner air)
Not running 3 cars next year, very hard work, just do the Effie and grab another record. Easy eh.

Chris
Chris
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

momec3 wrote:

Harky to be honest sitting ahead of the front wheel would scare the shit out of me too
Mk1 Postie was a nose hanger, didn't handle real good either, it sits under a bench in the shed waiting for a de-stroke and a man child grandkid to ride it
Tiny, wow, how did your school teacher summarise you on a report card. :D
I got kicked outa my 1st sunday school visit at 5 yrs old , drank stubbies in maths in the last year of high school, but once the butterflies flew out my bum,,things changed,,,,

Thank God for the superb effort from "boring" people like Lynch and a multitude of others in the background. You guys give us a pot to piss in so to speak. We all share the passion .

Only 5000cc or 50 odd CT110 mills bolted together.
How ya gonna synchronize 50 carbies Chris ? :D

Chris
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
ChrisACT

Post by ChrisACT »

gennyshovel wrote: How ya gonna synchronize 50 carbies Chris ? :D
He'll get a sore leg starting the bastards too.
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

I'm thinking about the start line. This year my brother Peter (the starter) had trouble seeing past all the people standing right in front of him under the only shade for miles. We won't use that tarp next year, we want to put up a tarp or two on the other side of the start line, stock it with chairs and cold water and that way nobody collapses on our watch and Pete can see the start line properly. I'll still be running around getting people in order and ready on time, but I hope to have a proper grid sorted so everyone knows where they are and when to be ready. Now all we need are two people to check harnesses, etc all week and we'll be right. A quick note to crew of cars: please don't put up the window net until the driver has been checked.

After the heat wave this year we hope to be much better prepared on and off the salt. We're sick of camping in the heat and dirt so ideally we'd be a bit more civilized. I'm thinking something to sleep in with air conditioning and a microwave so we can eat better too. Pete is selling his Territory and buying something else so we need a decent vehicle just to get there. Maybe I'll get a nice '32 5 window like Dave and Liz Cully in Norm's Hardinge's "cruzin the salt" feature in the latest issue of Cruzin. What an adventure.

I'm dreaming of a Toyota Coaster motorhome towing a small car we can use and leave on the salt for the week. I'll be able to do that just as soon as the Lotto pixies smile upon me. Are you listening you little sods???

And maybe in a few years time an H/GL.

Cheers
Dave :D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
GodSilla

Post by GodSilla »

Since we are being asked to dream a bit here, I wouldn't mind slotting a 625cc LC4 motor into a streamliner body, similar to the one Lucky Kaiser has ( but very slightly larger), and seeing just how fast it might go. I reckon one of those motors is good for somewhere over 150mph, they love to rev and have a real strong top-end.

And I've got one in my shed, still in the bike. :D
Member 1241
jpbyron

Post by jpbyron »

Building modified blown fuel 100cc. Just got the blower mounted, belt on. Next machine grooves in pulleys and plumb manifolds. Aiming at 100mph, as long as mr Hondas crank stays in one piece, not worried about weight, just going to tip the tank and add a few more percent.

Happy building.
Motorcycle Racer Lake Gairdner & Bonneville.

DLRA, SCTA & AMA record borrower