Hot weather prep

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

Greg Watters

Hot weather prep

Post by Greg Watters »

Thought it was time to get some discussion on being prepared for the chance of extreme heat again

Hopefully its not needed, but .....
We coped ok last year, it was warm but the shadecloth pits cover lets the breeze through and we had lots of water
only got into our leathers about 4 from the start line and had umbrellas for the startline

what are others doing ? did you have something that worked well, or did you have a situation you would warn others about

One concern i have is overuse of electrolite , that stuff will poison you if your not drinking enough water
gennyshovel

Re: Hot weather prep

Post by gennyshovel »

Our average water consumption during the hottest days was about 700ml /Hr (per person), I had a leak on waking, drank a cup of coffee, wandered around doing stuff, drinking as mentioned, and would have had 1 or 2 leaks all day, including 4 beers after tea.
Methinks I should have drank more, but the belly was chokkers all day.
A good indicator I'm drying out (dehydrating), apart from the urine colour, is if you feel a headache coming on, your already dehydrated, and no amount of pain killers will help, DRINK MORE WATER !
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
harky

Post by harky »

yep all serious stuff
I had a hand squirter / misting bottle that made me feel better ( cheap to )
cold water ed towel around the neck
this is not understood by some but you can OVER hydrate ie drink too much , some of the recent deaths on the KOKODA track have been put down to that

https://knowrisk.com.au/insight/article ... our-health
this site is worth a read
First time people to the lake need to be aware / prepared --- sun cream ,hats, light coloured cloths etc
lets keep talking about it cause it is a serious issue
we have had 45 + in Adelaide this week the lake would have to be 50 --------- scary stuff if you are not prepared
harky
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
GSUZ

Post by GSUZ »

last year was testing for all of us, in the pits and back at camp. Two of the racers pitted with us were over the age of 72 and they both held up fine powering through the heat wave. They were eating fresh fruits and drinking tea for most of the week which helps a lot. The best way for us to keep cool had a lot to do with good hydration, diet and most of all a good nights rest even if its too hot to sleep it's still good to rest the body to reduce the risk of fatigue setting inn and cutting your day short. Taking a bottle of water or iced tea with you every where you go will also help, staying away from soft drinks as the sweet drinks tend to dehydrate you. As Greg said, the later you leave it before getting suited up the better as long as it does not cause hold up's.
Cheers guys and look forward to seeing you all real soon
Shane0 #805
GeeTee

Post by GeeTee »

My team had a 'buddy' system. Ask your buddy if he's had a drink or piss in the last hour. If not - drink more!

My team was making and drinking powdered Gatorade ($10 from supermarket - makes about 10 litres) at half-strength all week. It puts back some of the salts/minerals etc that are lost
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

that may be too much gatorade
Recc we get in the CFA is 2 bottles of water to one of sports drink , and if your piss is not clear or nearly clear drink more water
but even drinking to bloated out there does not ensure your going to piss, just too much evaporation when your in a breeze and hot

pesonally i like one or 2 bottles of sports drink within the whole day , rest water untill its beer o clock
GeeTee

Post by GeeTee »

yeah I knew full-strength was too strong so we did half-strength and made sure we had a piss every couple of hours. Seemed to work OK, we all felt good, but might dilute it down a bit more this year if those are legit published CFA guidelines for hot environments etc and not just guesstimates
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

I read an article from Dr Karl one time about some guys riding motorbikes through desert in summer. They made sure they didn't go to sleep till they urinated. They were really doing it tough but it's not a bad rule.
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

We had 17mm of rain in Pt Augusta last Friday with a bit over 10mm at Wudinna, but don't worry, the next week of 40C+ weather should dry it out nicely.
Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Thanks for that Mossy
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Good to see the Hydration Poster now available for download on the Speedweek Page.

Thanks for that :D

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

'll but sticking one in the abolition blocks and all the portable toilets on the salt.
These are based on recomrndations by Flying Doctor Service and US Army.
I know they put up postets like this out in the mines and even at places like Melbourne Metropolitan Fire Brigade.
There's also a recipe for a good hydration drink and information on how much you should be drinking.

http://www.dlra.org.au/dehydration.htm
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
vetteracer

Post by vetteracer »

On'ya mate- 10 out of 10!
Denis