Moderator: DLRA

DLRA
Site Admin

Bush Fires

Post by DLRA »

This was posted on Facebook at 9.00pm today

Kim Krebs
Fires and Summer.
The good news is that Greg is OK. This afternoon a fire raced across the region around Gregs place at such an incredible pace. As a member of the CFA, he was fighting the fire elsewhere, when the wind changed direction and he decided home was where he should be. He was able to save his home, but the machinery shed, woolshed (where the bikes are stored) and some of the cropping machinery are lost
Our race bikes are toast, so this season's DLRA meeting wont include us. Unfortunately the old DLRA timing gear that Greg was repairing to use on the short track is now a molten mess.
So ... the good news is that no one is hurt ... and besides, the 750 was due for a new frame anyway.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Stayt`ie

Re: Bush Fires

Post by Stayt`ie »

arrr shit, :!: ,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

I am glad Greg's ok.

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Greg (DLRA) , just read ya email regarding the fires , SOO glad Greg is OK , the timing gear and bikes barns tractors etc. will get replaced eventually , but there is only one Greg!!!
Please also give a thought or two to our DLRA Fire/Rescue Chief ,Russel Branson (spoke with him today),he and his crew are heading into battle fires at port Pirie. I flew into Adelaide on Wed,to do a tech inspection , and caught up with OldTimer (Pete Noy-a CFS man for many years),and others, I was told ,, "one spark and the whole lot will go up". Well , two days later, the Adelaide hills are alight,it is BAD down there.
If any of our members (or guests reading the forum) , are in danger from any of these fires,,,PLEASE take care of yourselves!!!!!!!!!! If the cops tell you to get out,,Don't argue ,,GO!!
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Greg
Our thoughts are with you, glad your OK but your heart must be through the floor.
Keep your chin up buddy.

Chris and Kathryn
Chris
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Lots of areas affected this year, its very hot and very dry, and there are either unthinking or malicious people out there
we have 3 fires and 2 wind changes today fire that got us had a 5 km front, there all still out of control nearly 12 hrs later
i'm just sitting in my car watching embers blow across the house area,ready to put out spot fires as they happen... no sleep tonite
Lost some irreplacable stuff but also saved a lot, i may feel worse later, but now just happy to have saved what we did
We did loose the 750 and all the race bodywork for them all but the race busa is ok, and my roadbike may be recoverable , or parts of may be

Thanks for your thoughts
hawkwind

Post by hawkwind »

Cricky :shock: Glad you were spared Greg .....If I can help in any way let me know.
Vehicle......................A new creation.
Designed by................Troglodyte.
Engineered/ built by......Rustic.
Financed by.................Nickles & Dimes.
Rider......................... Tardus Vetus Inflatio
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

I'm lost for words,,,,,,
But glad you are still with us Greg, bad news , for sure.
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
vetteracer

Post by vetteracer »

Greg (and Kim)- I endorse what momec3 said.
Denis
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Sorry to hear the bad news Greg! At least you and your family are OK...
BONES

Post by BONES »

Greg
So glad you and Marg and the house are OK
Stuff can be replaced
Bones
rgn

Post by rgn »

To Kim, I'm sincerely sorry about the loss of your race bike.

To Greg and Marj, I'm happy you didn't loose everything.

If you need help rebuilding, let me know.
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Face Book today - Kim Krebs
Black Art Racing is on hold for 2014. Well at least the Australian side of the team ... but there will be plenty of rebuilding as we recreate that 239mph machine that was primed for 250mph plus in 2014.
Sunday's fire destroyed so many things on Greg's farm, that 2 days later, its still hard to know what might be salvaged.
Before the bike workshop set alight, Greg pushed the bikes into a clear space, hoping that it would protect the machines. Based on some back of the envelope calculations, the workshop burnt at around 800C (Aluminium melts at 600C and copper melts at 1000C ... based on what survived, we'll say it was a 800C furnace.)
Thank you to Jim Higgins for responding to the wave of support from so many people and setting up a paypal for donations to help rebuild the worlds fastest 750.

If you want to help out, buellrydr1@msn.com.
Thank you

Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor