salt lake news channel 7 SA and Advertiser

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

turbo RB

salt lake news channel 7 SA and Advertiser

Post by turbo RB »

Last edited by turbo RB on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lynchy

Re: the slaughter circus

Post by Lynchy »

As I heard at the AGM, there's always one idiot in a crowd. So, we had a rough course from the 2 to the 3 that needed to be taken slowly as well as some speed humps at the the 4 mile. We had approx 5 or 6 spin outs by fast cars including Norms taxi and Hadfields commodore due to the conditions and you feel the need to criticise a car that needs a decent course that is long and smooth in order to achieve high speed. We did the best we could with the course but it was wet and flaky and prone to breaking up.

Well done Trevor and crew for a good effort under very trying conditions!

Lynchy
turbo RB

salt lake new channel 7 SA and Advertiser

Post by turbo RB »

Last edited by turbo RB on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rgn

Post by rgn »

I'm sorry to hear conditions have not been ideal. I watched the slaughter video, and can't understand the horn blowing comment? I hope it dried out for everyone who has put it on the line before racing ends. Regards. Ralph
club animal

Post by club animal »

turbo RB wrote:I know a bit of publicity is good for the sport but when your 185mph shot of your goal , have trouble seeing the track and keep running over things and endangering others your just blowing your own horn !
http://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/video/watch ... ord-chase/
At the start of the week when Trevor ran off the track it was due to too mutch horse power for the slipper track[he was not the only 1 to do this] changes were made to the throttle making it easyer to control the horse power to the rear wheels

Wendsdays run he completed the course 236mph on a 300mph licence [this was the 6 time he has driven the vehical its not like getting in your comodoor and driving to the shops]

Thursdays run he went strait down the track thru the wet at the 2 to 3 mile mark the proceded to the left side of the course as instructed and put the foot down approching the 4 mile he hit 2 slite ridges sending the vehical airbourne for approx 30 ft the vehical was still strait and the foot was still down he then hit a moon cow paddy which damaged the front axle coursing him to run 1 meter off the course and ending his run. At no stage were any of my staff or spectators put in any danger

I were 1 of the priverliged few who sat in the cock pit and found it had good vision [at 200_mph it would be hard to see a witchs hat that jumped out as in any vehical]
As for blowing his horn you spend a million +plus dollars plus the tens of thousands to get it there you need to blow loud and make sure you are heard
Tevor and his team do a great job supporting the DLRA supplying 2 full time staff for the whole week and being the big spender at the auction, supplying welding equipment to help members. he run out of gas thus ending his week but there was no complaints from the big man only plans to make his dream come true

On a last note rememeber a good club is a supporting club
Regards
Animal
Race Director
Regards ANIMAL
Member 151
NAC 200+mph club
DLRA 200 mph club
going fast is my blast
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Good comments Animal!
Though we often laugh at the number of people & equipment he has, he too has to work his way up just like everyone else (it's a real learning curve!!)
Remember he has sponsors!! He has to get what publicity he can to keep them happy & continue to help him to achieve his dream (hence the TV crews etc!)

We really wanted to do the same for our sponsors/supporters, we just didn't quite achieve it, but we made a show & learnt lots for next year!!

I too agree with the help/profile he has for the club!
It's pretty easy to knock the big boys
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Animal , ya just beat me!!!!

I for one will NOT tolerate ANY badmouthing of another member/ racer for doing his best.
Trevors crew were the BEST represented on the salt,when ever the call went out for help/volunteers-the Slaughter crew came in droves.(Why were you home , and on the web on Thursday??)

As far as the safety of the vehicle , it is second to none!As Animal has stated , it is still a long way from its potential. At no time was any DLRA member endangered!

Unlike the total disregard for rules and instructions , shown by a racer on Friday.This DID endanger people,as the rescue crew followed him straight into the soft spot past the nine mile mark.That incident left one rescue vehicle bogged and now unable to give any assistance in an emergency.

Yes the track was not ideal , blame mother nature. Next year will be better!!!!!!!

Bob Ellis
DLRA #202
DLRA Chief Car Inspector
DLRA 200mph Club #14
jpbyron

Post by jpbyron »

I would like to wish Trevor and the team all the best moving forward.

Every time Trevor ran we all stopped and watched and hoped he would lay down that 300mph pass. Enough shit can go wrong with our blown 100cc bike let alone a streamliner.

There would be nothing better then to be sitting at Bonneville and cheering a Aussie streamliner on!.

If it was easy everyone would be doing it.
Motorcycle Racer Lake Gairdner & Bonneville.

DLRA, SCTA & AMA record borrower
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

turbo RB wrote:I know a bit of publicity is good for the sport but when your 185mph shot of your goal , have trouble seeing the track and keep running over things and endangering others your just blowing your own horn !
http://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/video/watch ... ord-chase/
Whether you realise it or not you have made a big mistake and jumped to several large conclusions.
A little bit of copy from a mainstream media source and you're ready to condemn the man and his team.
Good to see the tall poppy syndrome alive and well, but it won't wash here.
Consider this your first and only warning.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

jpbyron wrote:
There would be nothing better then to be sitting at Bonneville and cheering a Aussie streamliner on!.
Can you imagine that??
(mind you, I'd rather it happen on Australian soil :D )

P.S. are u the guys that joined us for the photo shoot with club members 1 & 2 ??
Found!! :wink:
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Bob,
you have a pm
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au
momec3

Post by momec3 »

The faster and more complex the vehicle, the more crew it requires to run.
Trevor's team was by far and away the most professional outfit we have ever seen on the Salt. Until you stand in his shoes and understand the facts behind ever action please be very careful when you comment.

Never believe the crap mainstream media dish out. Its predominantly sensational hype to sell their story.

Chris
Chris
David Leikvold

Re: salt lake news channel 7 SA and Advertiser

Post by David Leikvold »

People need to understand that the only advantages Trevor Slaughter had over the rest of us are a shed just big enough to build his streamliner in one piece and an unstoppable determination to achieve the goal of breaking Donald Campbell's 50 year old record. I volunteered to help build the car back in 2008 when it was just four chassis rails and some diagonals. Every Tuesday night was build night and a few other volunteers and I would gather to work on the car. Trevor ran out of money more than once but we persevered, doing what we could with what we had. Trev's workshop doesn't have a lathe or a mill, nothing is CNC and everything was made with an old drill press, a bandsaw, a linisher and hand tools. We often brought our own tools or made special tools to keep going. Progress was slow at times but we didn't give up because we all came to share Trevor's dream. If you want something bad enough the impossible gets easier. Don't ever think that Trevor had it easy, he had to work some very taxing jobs to keep going and bang on a lot of doors and endure a lot of knockbacks to get the sponsorship that now keeps the team running. My brother Peter (now Chief Starter) and I are proud to be volunteers for Trevor's team and we try very hard to run the start line as professionally and successfully as he runs his team of volunteers. He will break that record.

Cheers
Dave
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Lynchy

Re: salt lake news channel 7 SA and Advertiser

Post by Lynchy »

Well said Dave, Bob, Chris........and everyone else. Who doesn't want to see an Australian 400mph streamliner in Oz or Bonneville?

Lynchy