Volunteers Wanted!

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

DLRA
Site Admin

Volunteers Wanted!

Post by DLRA »

Unlike other forms of motor sport Speed Week relies on an army of volunteers to help run the event. Entrants are expected to volunteer for at least one session during the week. Members and non-members welcome. Jobs available for all skill levels. Here's you big chance to get up close to all the action. Nominate early to get the day that suits you. Apply on-line now at http://www.dlra.org.au/schedule.html

Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
DLRA
Site Admin

Re: Volunteers Wanted!

Post by DLRA »

To run a successful Speed Week requires 700 half-day shifts.
There are still 296 of these positions vacant, many of them in critical positions.
Without these volunteer positions filled we do not run a meeting, it's a simple as that.

Of the 176 pre-entrants only 88 have so far nominated to help us out.
It would be a real shame if we were to have the ideal conditions we all hope for and not be able to run because we don't have enough volunteers.

If we don't get enough people nominating before the event the committee will have to seriously consider a cancellation.

Volunteer now - http://www.dlra.org.au/schedule.html
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
RGV

Post by RGV »

I think Ross Brown had the right idea last year. Something along the lines of "If ya dont volunteer ya dont run"

Dave

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

I just checked the register to see how the start lines are going. It is very disappointing to see so many gaps, especially in the afternoons and late in the week. The short track is particularly sparse. Nobody has volunteered to be the main starter there, one day they have nobody there at all!

As I've previously mentioned, my brother Peter can't make it this year so I have substituted Peter Hulbert (#1118). I think I'm going to have to divide my time between each start line. This may result in delays but with a bit more help we should be able to manage most of the time. We will need two headsets to communicate efficiently with the timing van.

It would be really helpful if the timing van had a complete list of entrants so that we can simplify the radio procedure of who's up next for each track. Having to read out ALL the details every time the same competitor runs is a huge waste of time and effort. There will be many entrants running the same class and driver/rider all week so nothing changes.

We all know that the field thins out as the week rolls on. If your car or bike has karked it and you don't have to leave early, hang around and please volunteer at the start lines or elsewhere for a day or two. Don't waste your Speedweek by leaving early. If you've just come to spectate or to see if Speedweek is your thing, you'll find volunteering makes the week so much more rewarding. Come find me, you'll be most welcome.

Cheers
Dave, Chief Starter until next year when my brother returns :mrgreen:
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Volunteers Register is now closed - Thank you to all those that have already nominated.

Entrants who have not yet volunteered are advised to report to the registration caravan in the pits on the salt to make their nominations.

We also welcome and encourage other people to volunteer as well. If you're on the lake we need your help.
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Thinking about finding more volunteers who can work all week and for multiple years. The Mildura Ice Works boys had runs booked every day for 11 am and 4 pm for their trike because they were busy at other times keeping us fed and watered. If volunteers were also racers maybe we could do the same thing. If I ever had a car or bike to run I would still run the start line or herd the cats or whatever the job evolves into and have two pre-arranged runs every day. With careful planning it would work. Maybe we should encourage more members to do that, two runs-no waiting every day and the rest of the week helping out.

Cat Herder Dave :mrgreen:
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Painting yourself into a corner I think Dave. Get to hard to manage.
Chris
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Chris,
You might well be right but I don't expect we'd get a big response anyway so I think we'd cope. if it did get us the full time volunteers we needed it would be worth the effort. It might take a couple of years to work.

Imagine this, all the non-volunteering competitors are lined up baking in the sun and grizzling about waiting and then a group of volunteering competitors drive straight past them to the head of the queue and get their runs without waiting for hours.

Obviously, the idea needs more thought but if it gets us a good crew and improves Speedweek for everyone it's worth a shot.

Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

In that case can we book a daily time for the Jag?
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Sure, why not? You are the type of volunteer we're looking for. Trevor Slaughter would also be eligible because my brother and I are his volunteers even if he can't make it.

34SaltNorm

Post by 34SaltNorm »

Big Knob Racing have discussed after this years event the idea that some of our team helping out as assistant starters while we wait in line to make things easier for all ,,,,,,,,,,being able to book a run makes it well and truly worthwhile
club animal

Post by club animal »

We need more Volunteers
Regards ANIMAL
Member 151
NAC 200+mph club
DLRA 200 mph club
going fast is my blast
big chook

Post by big chook »

I will be flying down from Darwin on the 27th and should be at the lake on Sunday , I can make myself available for odd jobs but will have to rely on others for transport as will have no wheels of my own , will also need to renew membership , see you on the Salt .. cheers Mick
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Seems like track 2 is as popular as a poke in the eye. I may have to run that track myself with the help of a few volunteers. Another mate of ours is coming this year for the first time so I might train him up on Monday and get half the long course (oops, track 1) volunteers to go to track 2 instead. I don't think too many people would whinge about that.

And if anybody would like to be trained up for a starter's job, come see me or my brother Peter (Chief Starter again) and we'll make you an expert in a couple of hours. It's really not that hard. Last year we had two guys who'd never even been to Speedweek before and weren't even members who took on the short course and did a very good job of it for the few days they were available.

Competitors please remember the following: Line up single file nose to tail, don't hang back, that just makes our lives harder and slows us down. Everyone MUST start from right at the line. IF you're up next and your vehicle won't start, we will send the one behind you instead. When your vehicle is running you will be next to go. We can't afford to waste time.

An important change from last year. At the end of the day when people are lined up waiting to run and the track closes, I used to give you priority the next morning. This caused some friction when a few of those people turned up late the next morning and went straight to the front of the line. This year they will only get priority if they are lined up BEFORE the track opens for the day. Late comers will have to queue up like everyone else.

If you want to complain about not getting enough runs, don't bother, we have no sympathy. Get your vehicle completely ready to go at the end of the day's racing. Plan your work in the pits so you can be back at the start line asap. Get out of bed in the dark every morning like we do and bring your vehicle straight to the line at first light. We are on deck at the start line at 0700. Be there. Stay till Friday, we had very few competitors left by then and guys and girls, mostly on bikes but still a few cars of various kinds, were getting a run every quarter of an hour! That's bang for your buck. Bring a spare engine if you can lay hands on one.

I can hardly wait
Cheers
Dave :mrgreen:
Last edited by David Leikvold on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

If we get enough volunteers we might even be able to keep track 2 open on Friday morning so you might get another run within a few minutes of returning to the line. That's a reward for the competitors with a genuine short course vehicle.

Dave :mrgreen: