Special Thanks

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

club animal

Special Thanks

Post by club animal »

Thanks to all the members and volenteers who made Speed week happen the club would be lost with out you
Also a big thanks to all the people who donated goods for the auction another 4000 to the club top effort
regards Animal
Regards ANIMAL
Member 151
NAC 200+mph club
DLRA 200 mph club
going fast is my blast
David Leikvold

Re: Special Thanks

Post by David Leikvold »

Always happy to be at Speedweek making things happen. Thanks to the volunteers and friends who helped me, nice to see some familiar faces turn up to help again. And the first timers. At no time during the week were we ever short of people. Special thanks to Mark Clifford for providing a marquee on Tuesday and to Ross Brown who stood in for me when I was crook on Wednesday. Special thanks also to my mate Bruce Willmott, a first timer for Speedweek who isn't even a member yet. Bruce spent the week in the timing van and is a big part part of the reason we got so many runs on track two. Peter Hulbert was the track one timer helping my brother. Together we got a record number of runs and could have done even more if we'd had more entrants. Hulbert & Willmott have plans for improved communication and timing technology for 2017 that will make things even better. I can see these ideas designing me out of a job (almost) so I think we should start training up people to replace us. Next year the four of us plan to swap jobs at lunchtime so we can learn timing procedures and they can run the start lines. One of these years I'd like to be a competitor (J/BFS) so I think developing a large group of people who can do our jobs as needed would be a good idea.

Cheers
Dave :mrgreen:
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Heh Dave,
How did the timing van at the start line workout. Was it a success.
Chris
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Hi Chris, how were the penguins? Sadly, the timing van was back in its usual position. There was a valid reason for that, Matt was concerned that the signal from the most distant timing beam would not travel the extra distance, especially when the heat of the day produces a lot of signal-wrecking shimmer.

Pete L had no trouble on track 1 with his radio but mine on track 2 was no better than last year. More info on radio improvements later. The timing van was better than ever and someone thought of the idea of having a volunteer to transmit the competitor details for each track on channel 10. This was a big enhancement but still used radio. Next year Peter H and Bruce will be using a data link so the volunteer can enter the data straight into a laptop and send it to the timers and to Greg Wapling. They also expect to be able to send the speeds info to Greg automatically so that radio chat is minimised and errors eliminated. There will be plenty of other changes developed for next year, as they firm up I will give more details.

I hope we get more entries next year, we certainly have the capacity for them now.

Cheers
momec3

Post by momec3 »

See one Penguin you've seen em all. Seriously Antarctica was the most stunning experience of my life.

The fantastic enhancements you mentioned have been a long time coming. A simple idea but obviously a whole lot to make it work right, all beyond me.
Look forward to it, will be brilliant.

Team Cannonball have some big plans for 2017 so we will be there to go fast.
Cant wait. Starting work now.
Chris
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Yes, all beyond me too, but H&W are all over it like a rash. We will be having monthly meetings at Hulbert's place to discuss progress so that we don't lose momentum and can hit the ground running in 2017. When we have another QTA meeting we can bring everyone else up to speed.

Cheers

P.S. A penguin walks into a bar and asks the barman "Have you seen my Dad?" The barman replies "I don't think so, what does he look like?"
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

We also need to take into account the needs of the american visitors in 2017. They have asked for an extra three miles (I think) so the timing system will need to be enhanced as well. Now given that the SCTA made Norm Hardinge do all the licensing passes at Bonneville, should we make the visitors do the same here :D ? Yes, I'm joking. Obviously they will need to do some trial runs and sort themselves out first. While we're changing things around, perhaps we could have a short track laid out somewhere for Mike Davidson to get his beautiful Flatattack running properly. It wouldn't have to be much, perhaps just a mile or so near the pits with a big radius turn around marked and back to his start line via the track 1 return road, like a sensible enhancement of the warm up track we used to have. No need for any timing. When everyone is satisfied that the car is ready to take a run he can come to the track 1 startline and have a go. Thoughts anyone?

:mrgreen: