DLRA Speed Week 2018 Volunteers

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

DLRA
Site Admin

DLRA Speed Week 2018 Volunteers

Post by DLRA »

You can now nominate to volunteer at the DLRA Speed Week 2018 at http://www.dlra.org.au/schedule.html
Get in early and get your choice of job and day.

Note: it is mandatory for all entrants to nominate for at least one job during Speed Week.
There will be sign off lists at each station or with the event coordinator or at registration.
PLEASE NOTE: Entrants, if you don't sign off for having completed your nominated task, your results will not be published in the official Speed Week results.
We have had to take this action because of the high number of people who just did not turn up for their jobs in 2017.

Spectators and non-members are more than welcome to nominate for jobs.
It's a great way to get close to the action and support the club in what we do.
Please let us know if you have any particular skills and we will match you to a job.

Without the wonderful support of our volunteers we cannot run this event
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
David Leikvold

Re: DLRA Speed Week 2018 Volunteers

Post by David Leikvold »

One of the reasons Pete and I have relinquished our start line jobs is the toll it takes on our health. By the end of the week we are absolutely wrecked and it takes a week or more for us to feel right again after we get home. We are both 60 something now and we feel it would be dangerous for us to keep doing the job for the whole week. I would suggest to anyone who might be thinking of replacing us that you find someone to job share with. Do half a day every day so that you cope better. Then you'll also get to see more and do other things as well. It's a good job and reasonably simple. You'll find that just about everybody treats you well and wants to help. So wear white, wet yourself down from time to time, keep drinking water even when you think you aren't thirsty and only do the half day shift. Check out my post "How to be a Good Starter" for a bit more detail.

Cheers
Ex Starter Dave :mrgreen:
Last edited by David Leikvold on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Totally agree Dave, which in reality means we need 4 chief starters.

Chris
Chris
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

Whilst totally agreeing with these comments, I, who would like to take a spot at this job and having spent a few years as the Chief Timer fully understand the importance of the role: however am at somewhat of a dilemma.
Now being a competitor, I cannot predict when my availability may be due to the high workload involved in turning our car around between runs.
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Cookey,
The build quality of your lakester is exemplary, and I presume the engine is also bulletproof, so it would be unkind of me to suggest you run one of the start lines after the engine blows up! Maybe you could take a morning or afternoon off once you've done a personal best and feel you can spare us the time. Or just hang around the start line for a while whenever it suits you to see how things run. My long term volunteers like Barbara Harkness and Claire and Dave Bolger have heaps of experience and could easily take over for a half day shift. New volunteers could arrive early for an afternoon shift and have the morning starter explain how it all works. It's not rocket science. Pete always had the Big Knob boys helping while they were waiting in line, or this year, after the conrod dented the sump. Ross Brown stepped in with no notice in 2016 when I collapsed on Wednesday morning and John from the Royal Enfield team did the same for an hour this year when I couldn't stand up.

Anyone who has ever helped me in previous years knows what to do, back in 2013 when Pete and I first stepped up to replace Chris, it didn't take too long to figure out what needed to be done. Line 'em up in single file and make 'em start right on the start line and that's most of it. Don't waste time, as soon as you get the all clear from the timers get the next vehicle going. If someone can't start, get the one behind them to come around, tell the timers over the radio about the change and that's about it.

So to anyone who has volunteered at a start line before and knows what happens, please consider upgrading your experience to becoming a starter. If you enjoy it put your hand up for more than one shift.

Cheers
Dave :mrgreen:
Tone

Post by Tone »

there's a fair bit of wisdom to be had here, possibly also a lot of competitors like myself who are unsure if their ambitious projects are going to make it to the start line given the hurdles everyday life throws at us, I'll be at the start line to help out somehow this year, anything people can do to take advantage of the early mornings and get things underway would help, hope you can be there to guide some "newby's" Dave
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Tony,
Some days I think I'd like to be coming back next year, others not so much. We're over camping in abject squalor, I need the Lotto pixies to smile upon me so I can get a luxurious caravan and a Silverado to tow it! Pete likes to joke that he'd have to be flown right to the lake in a King Air to get interested again!

What I can do is come to the Bullet Cars QTA meetings and teach people just how simple it can be. If I can get a couple of dozen people familiar with it all we will have no trouble at all in 2018. And Chris Hanlon has years of experience too. Paul Lynch is still around, I'm sure he'd be happy to teach new people too. Don't forget, Bruce Willmott (Chief Timer) and Peter Hulbert (IT guru) are both Brisbane boys too so they can explain to everyone how it works in the timing van. So if we have a meeting early in the New Year everything will work out well. We will be knee deep in trained volunteers.

Cheers
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

"Paul Lynch is still around"

It's nice to be thought of so highly Dave!

The start line is the best volunteer job that you could ever hope to do - followed by the porta loos and then the timing van...... :D

I have been a starter/asst starter/ start line dogs body every year since 2006 apart from my years in the timing van. It is the best job closest to the action. You get to see every vehicle off the line and get to talk to anyone and everyone. I honestly can't understand why people would be put off doing it? If I'm not needed in the timing van next year, I'll be on start line for track 1!

The timing van is also an awesome place to work as we hear and see everything that happens on the lake. It is a bit more technical but not hard to pick up if you use a computer at work. There is also the major incentive of drinks at Animal's van at the end of the day and the exclusive use of Rusty the ute (may Rusty rest in peace and his successor be just as awesome!)

There is a great deal of responsibility with both the Chief Starter and Chief Timer positions but we are looking for volunteers to assist, not to be in charge. Some assistance in the setup and tear down of these areas is also valued.

I'm happy to get on the phone or provide info sheets to anyone interested in either start line or timing van work for next event. PM me and I'll send you the info sheets. I'll actually take the opportunity while things are quiet at work to update all the info sheets that I've previously created. I'll post them here + will provide to Wapper.

Regards
Lynchy
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Actually Paul, we are looking for replacement starters for both tracks, Pete and I have given it away. We're looking for enough good volunteers to be able to have both the jobs shared so that our replacements don't have to do the whole week without a break. As I said earlier, one of the reasons we won't be doing it again is that it is dangerous for our health. If we even had two starters for each track they would only need to work half days, so that's nine shifts on the long course and seven and a bit, depending on demand, on the short course divided by however many people volunteer.

Of course, if you really want to do the dunnies instead, nobody's going to stop you :D . We need two at the start lines all week. Two that actually work properly would be nice. Who am I kidding? I can't remember finding any anywhere that had a working hand wash pump this year.

Cheers
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

For everyone's information, here is the confirmation email that you will receive when you nominate for a job at Speed Week 2018.
I think the information it contains is good for all.

Thanks for your nomination(s) which are now confirmed, we do appreciate it and hopefully, you will enjoy the experience.

Please check the schedule now, sometimes there are clashes and I may have to fit you in but it will be the same day same time. Otherwise I will email you.

As outlined in the guidelines, the position(s) you have volunteered for are now your responsibility. If for some reason you cannot perform the duties, it is up to you to find someone to replace you where possible.

So far as what you have to do, hopefully, it will be fairly self-explanatory, some positions will have duties described in the volunteer register pages.

We can do as much planning as we like, but each year is different, the major variable being the weather, so you will need to be flexible in your attitude and bring an open mind.

When you report for your job remember to sign off on the jobs sheet to confirm that you have done your duty.
Jobs sheets are held by your area official or you can sign off at the registration caravan.
Volunteering is mandatory for entrants and if you don't sign off on your job, your speeds will not be recorded in the event results. If the official for your job is not there just wait he will be there soon.
During the racing week, our aim is to be ready to start racing at 8.00am each day, so if you have a morning shift, you will need to be at your station ready to go at that time. Afternoon sessions will usually start at 1.00pm, same deal you should be at your station ready to go.

If you have any requirements or if there are any issues during your duty or at any time for that matter let the coordinator or myself know so that we can try to do something about it. (If we don't know we can't fix it)

Come prepared for working in the sun especially during the hours of 10am to 4pm; bring a wide brimmed hat, sunglasses, a long sleeved shirt and some sunscreen. Depending upon the job your doing you many need gloves, or ear plugs as well.

Cold water and sunscreen are available at the registration caravan.

If you have a portable UHF radio bring that to and tune it to Channel 10.

If you need a safety vest one will be provided for you, please return it at the end of your shift.

Information for Entrants

ENTRY FORM
Entrants help us help you. Please ensure that you have fully completed your 2017 entry form, including;
* Entry Number
* Member Name
* Vehicle Class and codes (Engine Displacement / Category) (Check the Rulebook)
* Vehicle Type (Car or Truck / Motorcycle)
* Vehicle Description (Year / Make / Model)
* Vehicle Colour

ENTRY NUMBER
You must display your ENTRY NUMBER (which in most instances is also your member number) and your class details in a prominent location on your vehicle, so that other entrants and spectators are aware of what class you are running in.
The driver/rider name is optional and not required by officials.

Your inspected sticker will also have your ENTRY NUMBER printed on it. The starter has been instructed to look for your inspected sticker and relay this number to the timer. The Starter will also be taking a photo of the sticker afixed to your vehicle which will be date stamped so as to confirm the ENTRY NUMBER on the vehicle at the time it ran. If your inspected sticker is damaged, replacement inspected stickers can be supplied by registration.

MULTIPLE RIDER / DRIVERS
If there are multiple drivers/riders, each one will have their own entry number and this is what needs to be displayed when they are in control of the vehicle. No other entry numbers are to be visible at that time. And don't forget to change your inspected sticker as well!

MULTIPLE CLASSES
If a vehicle is entered in multiple classes, by default the first class will use the driver/riders member number. For each subsequent class (and entry) a prefix number will be added to your member number, for the first class change your entry number will be 9+member number. If you have another class change your entry number will be 8+member number and so on. And don't forget to change your inspected sticker as well!

These are temporary numbers and apply for this event only.
USE OF ANOTHER NUMBER
If an entrant has permission to use another number other than their member number, this will now become their entry number.
This has to be documented with Registration

HOW IT'S DONE
Many cars with multiple drivers now have a slide in card holder in the rear side window, it is an easy job to just swap the card as the driver changes. For those that want to sign write their vehicle that’s fine, but you will still need to obscure entry details that are not being used.

The hardest to display details are the naked bikes, we suggest fitting a panel with your entry number and class details on the side of the frame under the seat that can be easily unbolted (or nylon ties) and swapped over.

These changes have been introduced to make it less confusing for the starters and start line volunteers and to provide consistency of the information given to the timers.

For details on vehicle numbering, go to Section 2L “Number/Class designation” in the Rulebook.

Class detail, engine breaks and codes for;
Cars can be found online at - http://www.dlra.org.au/carclass.htm
and for motorcycles at - http://www.dlra.org.au/mcycle.htm
or in the DLRA Rulebook - Cars Section 5 and Motorcycles Section 7D

If you're still having trouble contact the Category Representatives or Technical Inspectors see the complete list at - http://www.dlra.org.au/contacts.htm

If you wait and present at Speed Week registration with an incomplete entry form, you will be instructed to take it away and not bring it back until it is complete. We don't want a queue of other entrants behind you standing there waiting for you to finish filling out your entry form.

And remember you don't get to Technical Inspection until you have completed your entry form. The technical inspectors will be too busy inspecting vehicles for competitors that have completed their entry forms to waste their time with you. Do it now!!

Any questions please ask now.
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

This year we will be handling the sign off of volunteers a little bit differently.

For Set up and Pack up the Event Coordinators and registration van will have copies of all the job lists and who has nominated to do those jobs. Volunteers must sign off on their jobs.

When we are racing, in the first hour of the morning session Rob Carroll (Event Coordinator) will be visiting each of the main activity areas where we use volunteers (Vehicle Check Point, Start Lines, Pre-Stage and Timing Van) with the list of people who have volunteered and checking that those volunteers are actually there.
In the afternoon sessions Greg Telford (Event Coordinator) will be doing the same thing.

For volunteers who are not at their nominated jobs at that time there will be a one call put out for them to report in on UHF Channel 10 (Support Vehicle Channel) and UHF Channel 20 (Public Broadcast Channel).

For entrants who do not sign off for their job, their speeds will not be published in the official results.
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

With the 2018 World Speed Trials now announced the Volunteers Registration page has been updated to include the extra days.
A lot of equipment will still be packed up on the Friday, with some of it being re-used while the 12 mile FIM track is set up.
We still need people to help make this event a success!
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
GodSilla

Post by GodSilla »

I'll be there for the duration and happy to help. Also will have a mate with me who is useful. We'll talk to Greg when we get there eh.
Member 1241