2006 Speed Trials Update

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

DLRA
Site Admin

2006 Speed Trials Update

Post by DLRA »

There has been some rain in the area and there is some water on the northern end of the lake. A station north of the lake had 30mm and Mt. Ive had 8mm. And the wind has been blowing the water around over the surface of the lake as it does.

The track up at the 10 mile end has a couple of inches of water, so there will be no racing today (Monday).

However racing is scheduled for tomorrow (Tuesday).

There are some rumours going around that the event has been cancelled, this is not true.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

There was a drivers meeting this morning and there will be racing today.
There is still water at the far end of the track affecting the World Record Attempt, but for the short course guys, it OK.
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

Keep the updates coming
PaulinOz

Post by PaulinOz »

http://www.landracing.com/events/lakega ... tary06.htm

The above link is be updated 2 or 3 times daily by one of The Amo Bros from the USA. Scroll down the page latest news at top oldest at bottom.
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

Yeah I've been checking it out but they mainly talk about the US guys, I want to know how the Aussie guys are going.

Hopefully Rod is OK after his mishap, Actually I've seen that a few guys have had a hard time of it. Hopefully all will be up on deck and racing again soon.
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

Any news guys?
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

I've received a number of pictures from Wacka, Don Hudson and Phil Stelling. Anybody else go photos, send 'em to me! These are now posted on the 2006 page. Plus I've started making a results list from all the photos I've seen so far. No results but at least you can see who ran and what record they were aiming for.

It usually takes Peter a couple of weeks to get the offical list out.
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
momec

Post by momec »

G'Day GW

Please Pm your postal address and I'll post you my disc, some good airiels
Chris
Dr Goggles

happy snaps

Post by Dr Goggles »

......likewise Greg , I've got a couple I'll post you the CD's if you give me an address , and , ahh , yes they're all decent :lol:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
momec

Post by momec »

G'Day all
No one has said much yet, it was a big week to get over.
I'll start with a broad overview of the meeting from my narrow view. I think we are all still a bit shell shocked after a huge and somewhat unusual speedweek.
Nobody expected water on the lake when we got there, but Sunday morning we drove out through water to find we only had part of a course to run on and virtually no chance of a long course.
Monday morning the wind had blown the right direction and gave some hope.
Entry numbers were huge with a bigger turn out of bikes than cars with lots of new faces and a big job for scutineers.
Many of us were kept busy untangling a huge spool of wire which ran part of the timers. It had somehow gone and messed itself up after last year and took some time and many helpers to get back to a usable state.

The course itself improved enough to be able to start racing an improvised short course mid tuesday. We had timing hassles and more bugs than an amazonian rainforest, but due to the single minded determination of all those who volunteered and helped we got some good racing happening by wednesday.
I think we ran a record number of passes wednesday which was quite amazing considering the way it looked when we arrived.
Thursday the course was extended to what is normally a short course with some poor salt in sections.
The event was marred by 3 accidents, two bike guys both were hurt but repairable and thursday Rods car caught fire in the deep end and will result in a very major repair.

Personally seeing the result of a major fire of this magnitude up close was very confronting..... :cry: It has made me reconsider every preconcived idea I ever had about safety. Gary Baker (Hawk) has told us in the past how quickly and uncontrollably race car fires can develop. He was'nt shitting us!
I've discussed and questioned on this forum the nessesity of sfi rated suits. I'm now going to purchase the best suit money can buy!
My fire bottle capacity was already double the minimum spec. I will triple my currant capacity.
The fire and rescue guys did an excellent job in controlling what was a very serious fire. These guys don't get thanked enough.
I spoke with Lionel and he said they thought it had started from a rocker cover oil leak.
Everyone who helped with the cleanup seemed deeply affected and in shock.

The Americans towed an awful long way and deserved a better track.
They seemed to understand better than us that thats racing and theres always next meeting.

Thanks to all those who made my job on the startline so rewarding even though we did'nt get a full weeks racing in. Thanks to Cled, my wonderfull
Kathryn, new recruits Paul, Mark (mopar man), Don and others who came and helped spread the load. Thanks to the competitors for there understanding.

Enough of my thoughts, anyone else got reflections on the week?
Seeya Chris
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

Firstly many thanks to all the club members who make this event happen each year , ya bloods worth bottlin and a special thankyou to the fire rescue blokes /ses without you we dont run ,its a big ask and you always come through :D

Personally it was mixed blessings , meeting all the yanks was a highlight for me , many of whom I have chatted to on landracing.com and Keith Turks landspeed list over the past 6 years ,great stuff , the racing itself was a bummer a bloody expensive bummer at that , but thats racing and there's always next year :)
A couple of unwanted firsts this year , hurt riders and a close call for Haddie :shock: God willing it will be the last , I will make some recomendations re rules /safety and pass onto the chief scrut hopefully we can learn from these accidents and make next years event just that much safer . another first that was a plesant surprise was the turnout for the bikes :D makes an old biker proud :wink:
On another note , the meet continues to grow and with that I can see some big problems just around the corner , we really need to look at addressing them now ( I will start another post on this matter )
Gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Fire is evil that is why i race bikes, I also crew for ricky moserrats funnycar, a few month ago at wsid rickys car had a nitro/oil fire from 1000 ft rick was in firnace temps for only about ten second, it even melted the roll cage padding and parachutes of the car, my point is i was shocked at the condition of the fire suit, a five layer nomex sfi spec suit, the problem here is most of the cost in this suit is the name sfi, a locally made suit can be just as suitable but, you must have a system of insuring its suitabilty...
Mopar Man

Post by Mopar Man »

After seeing my 1st Speedweek I had a grouse time. Spent the majority of it working with Norm and Big Knob Racing which gave me a big insight into all the behind the scenes, getting there, setting up, racing and going home. From my perspective, I saw and learnt more from working in a race team than I would've as a spectator, so thanks Norm for the valuable experience.

Thanks also to you too Chris for allowing me a few hours down the start line with assistance from Paul and Cled. (forgive me all those who were frustrated with me!!) I'll definately be there next year and with any luck I'll have my salt car there too. Thanks to all those who gave me assistance or offered advice, was good meeting some of you and making a few new friends!

Cheers,
Mark.

C Hanlon wrote:Thanks to all those who made my job on the startline so rewarding even though we did'nt get a full weeks racing in. Thanks to Cled, my wonderfull Kathryn, new recruits Paul, Mark (mopar man), Don and others who came and helped spread the load. Thanks to the competitors for there understanding.

Enough of my thoughts, anyone else got reflections on the week?
Seeya Chris
DLRA member # 486
Dr Goggles

Lodder's Rife

Post by Dr Goggles »

.....Tomorrow (Sat.14th Apr.) there is a wrap on the 2006 Speedweek on Rodders Life on Channel 31 at 1pm .That's only for those in Victoria , for the rest of ya out in the boonies you'll have to beg for video copies I guess .This info came from Dave Partridge who isn't online ( and drives a mazda) so of course it could be a hoax......It's always a good show Rodders Life so bog in! 8)
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..