2007 SPEED TRIALS ... CANCELLED

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

hawkwind racing

not happy Jan

Post by hawkwind racing »

Just arrived home ,found out from Greg Watters ,I was about half way there , It was with a very heavy heart that I turned around , I feel very sad for those that will loose out :cry: as they say there is always next year ,but at the moment that sounds a little hollow
Gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
mint29

Post by mint29 »

Wow - the car was packed - was just surfing the net - couldn't believe it - rang my mate who was coming - said don't bother - it's like Christmas was cancelled. :cry:
Dr Goggles

The Ark

Post by Dr Goggles »

We're all in the same boat . I'd just picked up the Rev from the station and we were to do the last few loose ends and then HIRE a trailer and head off .Two calls on my mobile as we were driving past the docks.....then it absolutely hammered down just to drive the point home, it was off. To be honest we were flying by the seat of our pants and financially and physically I wasn't really up to it , but we were going anyway.This year I'll build the trailer , and all the bits that were a bit "how's ya father " will be tightened , changed or modified .

The last minute paint job would seem like a waste of time now but in a way it means we made that last hurdle , it would have looked pretty sad if we found out about the cancellation and then just dropped the ball with it half painted , so a "twenty-foot" job is better than nothin'

My commiserations to all who had laid out and lost .Special mention to Dave Partridge (Yellow RX7)who turned around last year and wasn't then told that the meet went on , I rang him yesterday when they were just leaving Pt Wakefield.There are so many little "cuts" that's it's a little hard to tell where the worst bleeding is , Keith Turk , Gail Phillips......all those people for whom this year was the last year for their ride .We built our car around a drive train that we now may not use because of our "sponsor motor" ( way behind on that schedule already)which will require different stuff and more expenditure .

Is this the impetus we need to hatch a plan for a once a year tarmac event in September???
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Gary
Are we locked into this time of year for any particular reason?

I would have thought April or May would have been better - cooler and dryer

A bitumen run a year would get my vote as well
GH
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

I think all would now support a tarmac event if a group was to put it together. I'm not sure that the DLRA would be that group though.

Apologies if I offended anyone about being out of pocket for a few bucks, my first thought when I heard of the cancellation was of all the poor buggers who were already most of the way there or at the lake.

Also people who had pumped a lot of time and money into last minute thrashes or year long thrashes in attempts at getting there this year. I've kept up to date with the effort expended by Dr Goggles and the Rev, Chris Hanlon, my own mate Big Gaz, the Americans (Keith Turk and the Phillips') and it is a large undertaking.

I guess there will be much discussion about how to avoid a recurrence of this type of problem....
big chook

Post by big chook »

Hi Salties ,i was one of the many who made the trek north only to be told to turn around and go home .It was a very dissapointed crew and driver who trekked south . I don't know why it was left so late to cancel the event considering the track was so wet . I'm not blaming anyone i know the DLRA waited until the last moment to notify members the event was lost ,but i think if the decision was made a day or 2 earlier it certainly would have made things easier on a lot of race teams .cheers Mick ,seeya next year
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

A bitumen ( tarmac ) track . It has been done in the past ( 1957 ) in northern NSW near Coonabaraban , one bloke got killed and they never did it again . Last year Skaife set a world record for a production ute on a restricted road within Woomera .
Imagine the hurdles of trying to obtain use of a govt road , unless some beurocrat or politician had a personal interest in the sport and could win a few votes from it . Yes there are 2 x street circuits , Adelaide and Surfers Paradise , big dollar motor sport events and we know money talks .
However there are thousands miles of long straight roads in the out back , surely some progressive council or shire or state deparment could lend us just a few miles of road for at least a weekend once a year , and generate a bit of revenue for some outback community .
ok off me soapbox now .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
Greg Watters

roads

Post by Greg Watters »

A road would start to look a bit narrow at 150+mph
XW #901 180mph

Post by XW #901 180mph »

There is no way I would want to repeat the 2005 spin I had at 175mph at Lake Gairdner on any piece of road I can think of.

The only thing that stops you from digging in and barrel rolling is the fact that the salt is dead flat.

I dont think there is any piece of road or even an airfield that can offer you that type of protection.

Did anyone see the footage of that speed attempt with that bloke from the Top Gear show that went bad, well thats what I think you would be in for if you lost control.

Regards Mark.
SPOOK

2007 speed trials cancelled

Post by SPOOK »

Guys. I can tell you now, from experiance that main roads are a no no. Forget the idea
, it will not happen. there are too many issues involed. Cheers Spook.
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

XW #901 180mph wrote:
Did anyone see the footage of that speed attempt with that bloke from the Top Gear show that went bad, well thats what I think you would be in for if you lost control.

Yep, that was dead scary. It really drives home the importance of safety.

Given the way that most tar roads are set up with a curvature for water run off I'd be staying away from public roads.
BlackoutSteve

Post by BlackoutSteve »

There are a few videos posted on YouTube.. Here's one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJBHgIh5CwY
Dr Goggles

Sideways

Post by Dr Goggles »

XW #901 180mph wrote:There is no way I would want to repeat the 2005 spin I had at 175mph at Lake Gairdner on any piece of road I can think of.The only thing that stops you from digging in and barrel rolling is the fact that the salt is dead flat.I dont think there is any piece of road or even an airfield that can offer you that type of protection.Regards Mark.

800m skidmarks weren't they Mark :D , perfect example right from the horses mouth about what is so good about the salt and the perfect contrast with what happened to Richard Hammond.....however there's plenty of people who'll give a runway a shot.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
XW #901 180mph

Re: Sideways

Post by XW #901 180mph »

Dr Goggles wrote:
XW #901 180mph wrote:There is no way I would want to repeat the 2005 spin I had at 175mph at Lake Gairdner on any piece of road I can think of.The only thing that stops you from digging in and barrel rolling is the fact that the salt is dead flat.I dont think there is any piece of road or even an airfield that can offer you that type of protection.Regards Mark.

800m skidmarks weren't they Mark :D , perfect example right from the horses mouth about what is so good about the salt and the perfect contrast with what happened to Richard Hammond.....however there's plenty of people who'll give a runway a shot.

Hi Dr Goggles,

Yes, at least 800 mtrs and we walked the complete length of the spin early the next morning before the track opened and found 4 black marks the whole way through the spin from begining to end which is exactly what I wanted to see.

This made me feel better knowing the old Falcon didnt even think about lifting a wheel up even at those speeds.

It went like this...sideways for 500m...straight ahead for 100m...backwards/sideways for 300m...then a 180 in the last 20m before it stopped.

Regards Mark.
Marty Hicks

tarmac

Post by Marty Hicks »

Tarmac / Closed road..........Umm,

Just thinking about Bones and Stuart's mishaps had they occured on a closed road :(

tarmac, maybe not an option for the bikes?
MEMBER #439