2007 SPEED TRIALS ... CANCELLED

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

geocacher

Post by geocacher »

As one who sees what happens at speed on roads regularly I'd recommend against it also. And the speed that most mishaps occur at on straight roads is far lower generally than those at which you blokes travel at.

There's no way I'd have had so little work to do on patching up Stuart last year if he'd not been on the salt, and no way he'd have left on anything less than RFDS. How's he going anyway? I often wonder.

Sorry to hear about this years event. I had planned on being there until a work transfer had me moving right in that week. Already planning to be there next year.

Dave
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

I really dont consider it an option to use a tarmac road to hold speed trials . Our annual event , couldnt be duplicated on the side of a road somewhere . The speed trial is what brings us to being in such a remote place , but theres more . For a lot of us its out annual holiday , escape from reality , an adventure most times just getting there .
So if we cant have an event some years thru natures fault , thats all part of the game .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
Richard Thomason

Post by Richard Thomason »

Hi to all. I am Richard Thomason, we have the Danny Boy Streamliner and run at the B-ville salt flats. We are certainly not the fastest car around but we do currently hold the FIA class 10 record at a little over 340 mph. We have not been around for as long as many have, but we have run since 1981. We have gone through all the rookie stupid deals that can possibly happen. Guaranteed (sp) I don't have all, or maybe even any of the right answers. Be that as it may, I would be happy to give what little info that I may possess. First off, I'm very sorry that your big event had to be cancelled because of the track conditions. Trust me, that is really part of LSR. We have been weathered out many times in the last 25+ years. If it were easy, everyone would have records. The reason that I'm posting to this particular forum is the idea of running on public roads or as you say "tarmac". When we were first beginning, we also ran into a two year hiatus of running on the salt (because of water and lack of a track) we did some testing on a public road that was under construction. I have pictures of the car at a little over 200 with the chute out and the guardrails and the 55 mph speed limit signs all together. The point is that you can do some testing but I would not advise at all some type of meet where people are actually stressing their machinery. This is wishing you all the very best. Hope to see many of you at B-ville in the future. The unfortunate part about bringing our car to Australia is "it's a long way to go to break parts".
rht
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

It went like this...sideways for 500m...straight ahead for 100m...backwards/sideways for 300m...then a 180 in the last 20m before it stopped.

So does this mean you hold a thru the clocks backwards record
PJQ2

Post by PJQ2 »

Stuart was back for more this year. Shoulder and broken finger appeared okay.
Bones and Ev were there as well. I think Bones was planning to take it easy and let Ev run the repaired bike.

On the black stuff both those falls would have been much more serious.
Regs,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories
XW #901 180mph

Post by XW #901 180mph »

grumm441 wrote:
It went like this...sideways for 500m...straight ahead for 100m...backwards/sideways for 300m...then a 180 in the last 20m before it stopped.

So does this mean you hold a thru the clocks backwards record

I should have wrote "then a 180 degree spin in the last 20 metres".

No, I'm fairly sure Rod Hatfield would hold the current backwards speed record from his 2004 spin at 200+ mph

Regards Mark.
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

DON NOBLE wrote: ...but theres more . For a lot of us its out annual holiday , escape from reality... .

I feel that it is an escape to reality.

rH+
DLRA Member#412