Can I use this body?

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

panhead_pete

Can I use this body?

Post by panhead_pete »

Hi Guys
Im hoping to go to the salt next year with a roadster powered by a 500 caddy motor rather the repowering my 32 coupe. Can you please have a look at the image below of a Duece Customs roadster body, especially the firewall. Would the way its set up (recessed) exclude it from being used on a street roadster? Is there anything else I need to consider? Thanks for your help in this instance, of which there will be a lot more Im sure - really appreciate it.
Cheers
Pete

Dreaming of the salt in 08.
Brootal

Post by Brootal »

Download the rule book, mate, and 'interpret' as best you can. :)

I'd be more worried about the safety requirements than the body at the moment. If it doesn't fit in the class you thought it would, they'll put you in another one (e.g. Modified Roadster).

If it doesn't pass scrutineering... you're screwed.

Sounds like a good project though. :)
When I grow up I want to be a Land Speed Racer!

DLRA #777

[url=http://www.the-rumbler.com]www.the-rumbler.com[/url]
panhead_pete

Post by panhead_pete »

Hey Boris
I have read the book and it seems it will fit in within street roadster - just need to confirm this. The US guys seem to think it will.
Cheers
Pete
PS One day I will join a auto based forum on which you arent a member - one day :D
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

panhead_pete wrote:PS One day I will join a auto based forum on which you arent a member - one day :D

There's not many of them :)

Maybe Street Commodores :P
DLRA 112

Post by DLRA 112 »

panhead_pete wrote: The US guys seem to think it will.

Pete. Do not forget what the A stands for in DLRA.
The American rules differ in many ways. As an example - we have Utes and the rule book has to allow for them.

panhead_pete wrote:PS One day I will join a auto based forum on which you arent a member - one day :D

As for this Good Luck to you.
Member DLRA 112.
DLRA
Site Admin

Re: Can I use this body?

Post by DLRA »

panhead_pete wrote:Hi Guys
Im hoping to go to the salt next year with a roadster powered by a 500 caddy motor rather the repowering my 32 coupe. Can you please have a look at the image below of a Duece Customs roadster body, especially the firewall. Would the way its set up (recessed) exclude it from being used on a street roadster? Is there anything else I need to consider? Thanks for your help in this instance, of which there will be a lot more Im sure - really appreciate it.
Cheers
Pete

G'Day Pete,

Short Answer
recessed firewall is OK, however in the rules it states that it must be fully sealed from the drivers compartment. A bit of stainless sheet would also make it look good and provide an additional level of protection from anything entering the drivers compartment.

Long Answer
When you begin to build a car the first thing you naturally think of is speed; how am I going to make this sucker go fast. When building a car from scratch, there are many opportunities to be clever about how you build safety into a car.

I don't want to sound morbid, but let me put it to you this way, every time you put your arse in this thing you are potentially risking life and limb.
Therefore you main concern should be how can I go as fast as I can and still be around to do it next year and for many years after?

There are primary safety items like seat, seat belt, roll cage, helmet, drivers suit, gloves and boots, extinguisher, fire suppression systems and scatter shields.
Then there are secondary safety items like well designed and constructed chassis, steering and suspension, properly routed fuel cells and lines, sealed metal firewall.

Have a look at some of the current crop of vehicles (both here and in the States) and look at them from the point of several different scenarios, "what would happen if"; spin, engine fire, roll over, mechanical failure.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Brootal

Post by Brootal »

Aha... Ahaha... Ahahahahahahaha...

It'll never happen! (Except for Street Commodores, of course!)

I've been registering on car/hot rod forums since '96 or '97. There's not many I don't know about that are any good. :)

Good advice from DLRA too. Make it safe first, then make it go fast!
When I grow up I want to be a Land Speed Racer!

DLRA #777

[url=http://www.the-rumbler.com]www.the-rumbler.com[/url]
DLRA 112

Post by DLRA 112 »

Brootal wrote:Aha... Ahaha... Ahahahahahahaha...

It'll never happen! (Except for Street Commodores, of course!)

I've been registering on car/hot rod forums since '96 or '97. There's not many I don't know about that are any good. :)

I have not seen you here Brootal http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/

:D :lol:
Member DLRA 112.
panhead_pete

Post by panhead_pete »

Thanks guys I passed on the glass body and have (re) bought a steel one instead, although with a roof. :D