So what actually happened at the lake?

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

Brootal

So what actually happened at the lake?

Post by Brootal »

Just so that I can sleep soundly at night, what actually happened at the salt.

Are Rod and the crew back yet?

Can we hear first hand what conditions they encountered when they got there?
When I grow up I want to be a Land Speed Racer!

DLRA #777

[url=http://www.the-rumbler.com]www.the-rumbler.com[/url]
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

Brootal,
As I have posted elsewhere in this forum, I was one of the first onto the lake with Peter Noy to help set up the timers etc.
The heavy downpours that occurred in the area in January resulted in around a metre of water (with associated dirt and debris) being deposited on the lake.
What appears to have happened is that the sand and mud etc has precipitated onto the pre-existing salt surface and upon evaporation of the water has left a film of new and as yet unhardened salt on top of this sand and mud layer.
So on first observation it appeared that we had a slightly damp but maybe salvageable racing surface.
The clumps were apparently formed by salt growing around debris such as sticks etc and were all over the lake surface being more in some areas than others.

You can see how easy it was for us to scrape aside the salt crust when nailing down the timing light equipment.
These pics were taken early on Friday morning and with a stinking hot and windy day we found absolutely no improvement in the salt condition.

The edge of the lake soon became very boggy and permission was sought (and granted) for us to make a causeway onto the firmer salt.

Over the full 9 miles of the racing track we could not find any section that exceed around 1/2 of a mile without a dramatic change in surface condition.
Dirty Dave who was also assisting with the track setup completely lost his Falcoon ute at around 110K's (not that he can drive any faster :D ) when he hit a damp patch :!: :!:

I believe that we have learned a valuable (and expensive) lesson from this feat of mother nature and will in future monitor the condition of the lake with a view to avoiding the gut wrenching experience that we have all felt :!: :!:

Cheers and looking forward to Speedweek '08

DLRA # 363
AKA BadHemi
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

On a lighter side Brootal,
I think that us salt racers may have finally been recognized by the big corporations :!:
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

At least the kids on the burger station will be able to keep us up to date with the salt conditions!!
GH
ben james

Post by ben james »

excellant report #363, i see what you mean , if i would've been there i too would have thought it would have dried out. i just hope that it can reform for next year. we should apply to the government for a research grant into salt lake study, they give them for out to a lot less worthy causes.
regards ben
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Here's how it went down , The #66 Team leaves Brizvegas at 5.10am Tue,27th Feb,220+mph , easy!Lake G 1.00pm Fri2nd Mar. Fix pushcar,go down to lake!(still thinking 220+) see lake entry , F#%k , no good.Met timer (Peter Noy) at lake edge , left our car on solid brown stuff! hopped in the Noy wagon and proceeded out to track.1 1/2" deep holes from start line to 3/4 mile , wet to 1 1/2mile , dry for a bit , wet , dry , wet ,etc etc.Concern level HIGH!!!. Friday NIGHT, with torches , The Club Pres , The Timer , AND TWO 200mph+ Drivers went back down to the lake , to check out the entry ramp.Can we fix the entry? Maybe!But we gotta check the track 1st!!If the track is no good , wasting time & money fixing ramp!.Early Sat morn , we went down to lake(the same crew as Fri nite) , Probed the salt at entry ,the start line , and the WHOLE NINE MILES of the course,The decision was made then to can the event.The course was waterlogged.Meet cancelled.As most of you know now , this was done in the issue of saftey!,alot of dissapointed people , alot of money,but the lake will be there next year.So chin up everyone , and see you on the salt in March 2008!! Cheers Bob #66 C/GCC.
colbourne

Post by colbourne »

From past experience is March the best month to hold this event ?
The North of Australia always gets cyclones at this time of year which are quite likely to lead to rain elsewhere.
I would have thought December would be the best time (assumming the salt has dried out from the winter months by then).

N.B. I have no experience of the lake so I am only guessing.
John Broughan

Post by John Broughan »

The trouble with December is that it is very hot. The December working bee I attended had 45 degrees during the middle of the day, dropping to low 30's at night. I don't think it is practical to race in those temperatures. March is the best tradeoff between extreme temperatures and lake condition. In 16 or 17 years, there have only been two meetings lost. I think this about as good as you could expect in any outdoor activity.
John Broughan
Empty Pockets Racing
200 MPH club life member
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

i would guess that the march date being almost 6months either way from bonneville`s speedweek, has something to do with it as well :wink:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

There are many considerations to be taken into account when determining the most appropriate time for the meeting, some are obvious and others are not.
For example the date in March used to be determined by the timing of a full moon, as a full moon means a high water table. Now it's determined by when Mt. Ive are going to crutch their sheep as this is a busy time andthey will not be able to man the canteeen etc.

If you look at the records;
March is usually the first cooler month after summer (so it's not stinkin hot)
It has the lowest average rainfall of any month (Wet season May - Oct)
It has the highest number of clear days
Average evaporation for Nov - March is 300mm per month (this halves by July)
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
PJQ2

Post by PJQ2 »

Another issue is the day-to-day operation at Mt. Ive Station. They start the muster and shearing each year after Speed Week, usually going on past Easter. This means no accommodation or staff to run the Kiosk, etc during that public holiday period.
Regs,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories
Brootal

Post by Brootal »

Thanks for the report, guys. Much appreciated.

I figured you would have done everything possible before canning it. After all, you wanted to race as much as anyone else!

Hopefully we'll be there for next year! :)
When I grow up I want to be a Land Speed Racer!

DLRA #777

[url=http://www.the-rumbler.com]www.the-rumbler.com[/url]
REAL Stan

Post by REAL Stan »

Those who still went done a lot of eating and a Lot of Drinking.
Cooke 4got the red :lol: :lol: [/b]
STAN.#744

Our body cells renew themselves while we sleep
If only our wallets would do the same.....