TEST VENUES

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

SPOOK

test venues

Post by SPOOK »

I think that Mangalore comes up trumps. I would like DLRA to organise four test and tune events a year in advance so as to get a reduced price . I am sure we could get between 20 to 25 entrants at about 50 to 60 dollars a head and that amount of cash should pay the track hire. Ask anybody who tested at Mangalore how useful it is to be able to test at top speed and iron out the bugs prior to competeing next march.Who agrees with me, or is this just a pipedream?
DON NOBLE

Re: test venues

Post by DON NOBLE »

SPOOK wrote:I think that Mangalore comes up trumps. I would like DLRA to organise four test and tune events a year in advance so as to get a reduced price . I am sure we could get between 20 to 25 entrants at about 50 to 60 dollars a head and that amount of cash should pay the track hire. Ask anybody who tested at Mangalore how useful it is to be able to test at top speed and iron out the bugs prior to competeing next march.Who agrees with me, or is this just a pipedream?

Yes thats a great idea , lets keep the ball rolling now that its started . With Mangalore 1597 km from Brisane( according to Google Earth )I will still hunt around for alternative venues closer to those in NSW and Qld , we dont have to have just one venue Australia wide .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

It gets my vote.

The only issue if it is a club thing then wont the whole risk thing will also come into play, liability, insurance etc?

If someone testing an incomplete unscrutineered car discovered their brakes didn't work and they ploughed into the spectators at the halfway mark then it would make it very hard to race at the salt in any capacity if it were run under the auspices of the club.

I don't want to be a nervous Nelly saying don't do this or that because someone might get hurt, but it may pay to looking into how we can organise these test events so as to not harm the core event that is Lake Gairdner.

I guess one way may be with the local state chapters taking responsibility for their local test day so if something does go horribly wrong for someone it limits liability to that chapter (?)

Testing is probably the most likely time something unforeseen will happen with a car that will project it other than in a straight line, and these venues have much more things to hit than Gairdner.

I would hate to see the day riddled with rules and safety procedures as it would also just make it harder and harder to set up and manage too.

Some sensible ones might need to take place like moving the spectators away from the track though.

Actually wasn't Graham the new streamliner guy an insurance assessor? Maybe he has some ideas....

rH+
DLRA Member#412
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

NO Graham Wasn't an insuarance assesor
That would be Robert
The guy in the red rangerover
SPOOK

test venues

Post by SPOOK »

Yes Rev. you have raised some points of interest. The events would be run low key with only DLRA members with a small committee consisting of Clerk of Course, Starter, Machine Examiner,and Animal as enforcer of good behavior If he so desires. Also a toll collector. To increase safety the pits could be at the end of the strip with the spectators. The fee for hire of the strip for a day could be paid in cash by a greek mate of mine, a mister A.Nonamus. Comments please.
gennyshovel

I stood on a salt lake today

Post by gennyshovel »

Yep, SALT ! 220 k's north o' Broken down Hill , now, thats only 230 k's from Queensland (if you queenslanders live in the west of the state , it's just down the road :lol: )
I looked / felt damp / thin (on the edge anyway) but BIG !
Ill post some pics on the weekend for all too see.
Tiny :o
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?ie=UTF8& ... 9&t=h&z=11
Last edited by gennyshovel on Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
ben james

Post by ben james »

hi russ,
the best way would be to keep the dlra name right out of it to save any legality issues. someone would just hire it in there name & it would be by invite only. if 20 people were in it it would hopefully be about $100 each.
regards ben
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
SPOOK

test venues

Post by SPOOK »

Ben, There is no reason why the DLRA cant run a Test + Tune at Mangalore. Many car and bike clubs hold "Black" meetings every weekend in Vic. and yes an individual does pay the bill to keep the clubs name off the record. You must have officials to run the meeting with a view to safety being paramount for both spectators and entrants. I do not think that "invitation only" is a good idea, it would put too many noses out of joint. First of all one would have to get an indication of how many members will enter to ascertain whether the event will be viable. If it is, lets go for it, it aint rocket science. If these little car and bike clubs can do it, we of the DLRA can do it better.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I was all set to chase up Schofields airport, the cops have been using it to wreck patrol cars for a while.

The sods in power are going to throw 180,000 houses on it and give it a new name post haste. Another great idea all shot to hell.

I tried to find that clay pan out west but came up blank too.

Cheers,
Rob
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Dunno Tiny looks good up close , but further away it gets a bit wierd :shock:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?ie=UTF8& ... 61283&z=14
raybak

Post by raybak »

Another good strip in NSW is Cootamundra, I think Wheels Magazine used it a few times.

It's only an hour and half from Canberra.

I'll have a chat with my brother who works for CASA, he might have some contacts to help us get a strip to use.

Cheers

Ray Baker
At a rally somewhere