possible dates for 08

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

hawkwind racing

possible dates for 08

Post by hawkwind racing »

If there is something to full moons and high water tables and the best timke is on or near a new moon then the following dates would need to be concidered
the origional date 3-7 march 6.3.08 = new moon
next dates 31 march to 4 april
final dates 28 april to 2 may

November would be the earliest month to concider again with a new moon on the 27 .11. 08
some research on full moon dates for past events shows the following

full moon 6.3.04 race dates 8 to 12 .3.04 good surface
full moon 25.3.05 race dates 14/18 3.05 good surface
full moon 14.3.06 race dates 6/10 3.06 poor, surface water
full moon 3.3.07 race dates 5/9 3.07 soft slush
full moon 21.3.08 race dates 3/7 3.08 surface cond unknown
but to throw a spanner in the works the inspection was done on the 8/9/10 3.08 which was just a day after a new moon ??

for 2009 new moon 25/2/09 then again 26/3/09 the current sceduled date for 09 places us smack bang in a full moon. if full moons in fact do produce high water levels then this date needs to be changed asap to coinside with either of the dates above ,regardless of how they fit in with the Newtons ,lets try and rule out full moons & wet unusable lake surfaces if this is the culprit
cheers
Gary
Gary
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Need some ongoing inspections to verify the hypothesis Gary...without it , its a bit like reading Tarot cards.
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

The original people who made the decision :cry: , for your safety :shock: , will be up there Mar 2nd through to about the Mar 5th and trust me we WILL be having another look at the lake. :wink:
A report will be published and we will be able to test the full moon no moon theory :idea:

As far as regardless how it fits with the Newtons, what about the hew and cry when the canteen wasn't going to happen :?: For those who can't, don't want to self cater this presents another issue :!:
Cheers,
Trevor
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

Trev firstly a big thank you for your efforts and all those that donated their time and expenses to attend the lake to report on its condition , the decision was correct and appropriate with the data available :wink: :) ,im not sure if anyone dissagrees with the decision ,I don't. (don't equate high emotions /disapointment as emnity toward the messenger :idea: )
secondly as a club and individules ,we need ( its imperitive ) to explore all available data , knowledge and resourses that exist by what ever means nessessary to ensure the continued success of the DLRA and its activities and to that end I will personally volunteer my time and efforts to carring out that goal and am doing so presently ,we need to be more proactive and plan smartly ,its time we discarded the one date a year and if the conditions are not right for racing ,there's always next year attitude (me)
Finally from a purely personal perspective ,my sole purpose in being a DLRA member is to race (any other benifits are icing on top ) ie social / canteen /whatever , if nessessary I could do with road kill ,spinifex and camel piss , if it meant I could race , I have invested my life savings and much more into this sport ,as well as 10 years of my time and my familys ,in building and preperation ,as well as donating my time throughout the year in voluntary work for the club , I also am prepaired to race at the drop of a hat any time of the year including giving up my work/ job to do so , my commitment is total , maybe because of this I expect to much from others :?: .
anyway lets hope the laKE DRIES and we can all race this year
cheers
gary
Rob

Post by Rob »

There are so many threads running on 2008 that I'm not sure where to ask the question so here is it.

Is there a cutoff date for the postponment to become a cancellation?

Cheers,
Rob
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Rob wrote:There are so many threads running on 2008 that I'm not sure where to ask the question so here is it.

Is there a cutoff date for the postponment to become a cancellation?

Cheers,
Rob

Are you trying to clarify the difference between postponed to a later date in 08 compared to the 08 meet has been cancelled ( see ya in 09 ) ???
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
Rob

Post by Rob »

Gazza,

I'm trying to find out if there's a cutoff date where postponement becomes cancelled? ie How close to 2009 before it's not worthwile holding an event as it'll affect entries for '09.

Hmm, that didn't go well, try this.

"We will consider posponing the event until ??/??/?? when the event will be cancelled."

Cheers,
Rob
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

How long is a piece of string?
There is no cut-off date, if we can hold a meeting this year we will, regardless of when it is. And this was demonstrated with a show of hands at the Melbourne meeting the other week with about 80% showing they would race when ever the track was suitable.

When the lake is dry and hard. And when that will be is not up to us. We can nominate dates that might be suitable to us, but it's all academic if there's water on or in the salt.

At the moment the Lake has been closed by DEH, so until this is lifted no vehicles on the lake, even for an inspection. We have been given compensation to take a quad bike out to have a look, but that's it.

The lake will be inspected next week when some of the crews go out. If it was found to be better than what it was on the 8th Feb, then there could be talk of maybe running a meet in a couple of weeks or a month depending upon how good it was and that's assuming we don't get any more water. After that it would probably be November before conditions made it possible again. We would also have to obtain permission from DEH and get the green light from the Newton's.

Regardless there will be another test and tune day at Mangalore and there may be something similar in QLD and WA.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Rob

Post by Rob »

No worries Greg, thanks.

Just trying to sort out whether to have a holiday or try and save the time if there's a meet.

Cheers,
Rob
Brootal

Post by Brootal »

DLRA wrote:Regardless there will be another test and tune day at Mangalore and there may be something similar in QLD and WA.

Any more info on the WA 'test and tune'?

Would love to go along to that. Who's organising it?
When I grow up I want to be a Land Speed Racer!

DLRA #777

[url=http://www.the-rumbler.com]www.the-rumbler.com[/url]
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Brootal wrote:
DLRA wrote:Regardless there will be another test and tune day at Mangalore and there may be something similar in QLD and WA.

Any more info on the WA 'test and tune'?

Would love to go along to that. Who's organising it?

Early days Boris, have a look at this thread. http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic. ... 2&start=45

Ian Dalby from Bassendean in Perth (who you will probably know) is the one co-ordinating and looking at feasibility for us at the moment.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Brootal

Post by Brootal »

Cool, I have met Ian a couple of times, but don't know him that well. He's got Leader Trailers/Hot Rods out in Basso. I go out there every now and then as there is a Rambler mechanic out that way (Ben Ludlow), I'll have to drop in and see what he's planning.

Tonkin Hwy is close by, hope he's not planning on using that! ;)
When I grow up I want to be a Land Speed Racer!

DLRA #777

[url=http://www.the-rumbler.com]www.the-rumbler.com[/url]