Latest News from the Lake

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

DLRA
Site Admin

Latest News from the Lake

Post by DLRA »

Just rang the camp and spoke to Rob Carroll. (midday 6th March 2008)

There is no way that we could run a meeting with the current conditions.
The main problems are;
* The ramp, which is still soft and whilst you could get a couple of cars over it, could not withstand the constant traffic of Speed Week, especially the Trucks. It would cut up very quickly (see concerns below)
* The variable hardness of the salt on the track. There are some parts that are quite good, but there are other parts where you can kick up the salt with your boot. This softness is especially around the 4 and 5 mile mark, several competitors remarking this is not where you want to be changing gears, or reaching your top speed. Could or would lead to blown motors through over reving due to the softness of the salt.

There was about 15 guys (competitors and officials) went out on 2 quad bikes (with trailers) on Monday, they went right up and down the track and the conclusions were unanimous. There was another inspection on Wednesday.

It is better than what is was 3 weeks ago, but still not dry enough for long enough.

Uncertain if the Lake was still officially closed as there was no chain at the ramp which is what DEH said they would do.

There was a long meeting with the Newtons on the Monday night. As you can imagine many items discussed. Once of the outcomes is that there will strictly be no further structures at the DLRA camp. Len is still waiting on a report from a Pastoral Board inspection in September last year, where the inspectors visited the camp. There has also been no liaison with Indigenous representatives at this stage.

During these discussions the DLRA was made aware of the fact that the area surrounding the ramp is where anyone and everyone visiting the Lake comes for the view, especially for the sunsets. And there are more and more people coming each year.
We could ill afford to leave this area with ruts or soil discoloration.

Given this new information a solution might be to build a new access road and ramp further to the north, out of site of the current ramp. There was some time spent identifying a suitable location and several sites identified, there would be some construction work required and of course permissions would need to be granted from all interested parties. Early days but this option will be followed through.

Lastly the option of an alternative date was discussed. The reality is that whilst the competitors are willing and available at the drop of the proverbial, it is all the support teams that are most difficult to organize and commit to a date. This includes surveyors, fire crews, medical crews, officials. Not to mention the Newtons they already have a heavily booked calendar for most of the rest of the year. Starting with the sheep next week. It's not impossible but is is very difficult. And the trouble is if we were to keep monitoring the Lake and we did decide on a date, what's to say that with winter approaching we don't get some more rain between calling the meeting and the date of the meeting.

Well that's about it. Sorry it's not better news.
Last edited by DLRA on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Thanks Greg,

very thorough.

Rev.H+
DLRA Member#412
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

reading between the lines I will assume that we now go to meet cancelled mode :cry: ,Ill resume my clinically depressed state and go eat some razor blades :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
momec

Post by momec »

Thanks GW

Would'nt we be better to set a long away date, seems early November is the next best and try and work it that way. Thats nearly 8 months notice if the Newtons had a spot. etc etc
Sorry just desperate like you Hawk, been a tough week for all of us battling the what if's. The black dogs in my head are winning at the moment. Shit this sucks.
Chris

What would Homer do?
Acme Racing #251
PLUCKA

Post by PLUCKA »

C Hanlon
I'm with you Chris any date to me sound good rather than nothing at all.

Plucka
David Leikvold

how about a proper ramp?

Post by David Leikvold »

What I'm reading here goes back to a thread I started a long time ago called "Cultivating Enemies". From what Greg's report tells us we are risking upsetting every national park visitor by having the ramp site where everyone goes for their "How's the serenity?" moment. I believe we should, as the report suggests, move the ramp site to somewhere else out of their sight.
I also believe that we should build a proper steel ramp that can take the weight of trucks and with a longish flat section that gives us the ability to blow off the red dust on the way in and knock off the salt on the way out. That would also make it easy to get on and off the lake without traction issues. It would minimise the transfer of the two colours and leave no trace of our presence when the ramp was dismantled and removed. It would also mean no earthworks to annoy our benefactors.
Can someone please explain why there is a prohibition on more buildings at the camp. I've only got photos to go by but I'm guessing it's because the camp looks cheap and like it definitely doesn't belong in a national park. This is just a thought but would we be better off if we replaced the motley collection of weathered containers and site offices with something purpose built that looks like it belongs on a farm and meets all our needs in one large structure? I'm thinking maybe a really big Titan type shed in eco friendly colours with verandahs all round. If it was bigger than we need to store all our stuff we could let the Newtons use it as well. Any thoughts anyone?
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

David, ramp design proposal calls for concrete laid just below the surface of the salt. The length required negates the use of steel and didn't some one tell you this is a salt lake? The natural enemy of all things metal. The concrete also provides it's own camouflage 'cause it's sort of white.

There are many stakeholders involved, the Newtons, DEH, the Pastoral Board, the greenies, tourists and most important is the aboriginals. Some of these have made their positions clear others have not been consulted yet.

If you think we could build a big shed out there don't you think it would already be there? Fact is the whole camp is movable and this is what happen several years ago when the Newtons asked us to move the camp so that it was not seen by passing tourists. We cannot get permission for permanent structures. The camp is there by arrangement with the owners of Mt. Ive, who ever they may be. (We have had 2 so far) We are doing the best with what we have to work with. I agree the camp was looking a bit down and that is why there are so many working bees organized to maintain the place, the last being just this week. It is a very hot, hard place with a very aggressive environment.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

Thanks for the report Greg . Well guess we have to face reality with the condition of the lake . If we want to keep racers focused on speed trials , there has to be a big push for some sort of event where racers can at least get the adrenalin running again . We in Queensland are working on being able to use suitable venues , mainly airstrips .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
Reverend Hedgash

Hey Don,

watched an interesting doco on Sir Joh the other night. He knew how to get the adrenalin running.

What you need is a Russ Hinze Minister type for Salt Racing up there and he'll build you a salt lake with government funding and a freeway to it.

revH+
DLRA Member#412
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

Reverend Hedgash wrote:Hey Don,

watched an interesting doco on Sir Joh the other night. He knew how to get the adrenalin running.

What you need is a Russ Hinze Minister type for Salt Racing up there and he'll build you a salt lake with government funding and a freeway to it.

revH+

" Dont you worry about that " sonny Reverend headgash fella , bless you and all you wonderfull Victorian southern type people that want to live up here with us . Just bring your big brown paper bags fulls and you you you mark my words , we get it done quiker than them red commies labour party homo peoples .
Last edited by DON NOBLE on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
w3stie

Post by w3stie »

Russ Hinze was a big bloke, looked like an ad for The Biggest Loser. They say one day he had an out-of-body experience and when he got back a family of Vietnamese refugees had moved in!.

BTW, who or what are the Newtons?
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

w3stie wrote:Russ Hinze was a big bloke, looked like an ad for The Biggest Loser. They say one day he had an out-of-body experience and when he got back a family of Vietnamese refugees had moved in!.

BTW, who or what are the Newtons?

The Newton family own Mt Ive station which we access the lake thru and where our camp is .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
Reverend Hedgash

Newtons = current owners of Mount Ive station

How much to buy the station?
DLRA Member#412
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

Reverend Hedgash wrote:Newtons = current owners of Mount Ive station

How much to buy the station?

I believe it was $ 1.2 million when it was last up for sale about 5 yrs ago . We had around 400 members then and if we all put in $ 3000 each we could have had it , and leased out the " grazing " land to the neighbours .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
Reverend Hedgash

Jees, the Lady H and I graze cattle in Pomborneit.

We could set up at Mt Ive permanently instead and look after the lake, give regular reports, AND graze cattle.

800 members now... should be only 2g each.
Whaddya reckon?

Rev H+
Farmer Pastor
DLRA Member#412