Is the DLRA officially ok to race in March 2009

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Rob Carroll wrote:Time for an update. I understand the membership feels left in the dark about what is happening with the permit to use the lake. I have tried to keep everyone updated as best I can through the forum (on the offline area).You must understand that these negotiations involve much more that just DLRA using Lake Gairdner. They are more about keeping the lake in pristine condition forever, so we and others can enjoy the lake not only for Land Speed Racing but also for the awesome natural beauty there. This lake and surrounding area holds a huge amount of significance to the local indigenous people and they are adamant it will not be destroyed.
My report on the meeting we went to on jan 15 in the Gawler Ranges can be read on the offline area. Today, Feb 2, I received a phone call from the Native Title Claimants Solicitor advising me of a meeting in Port Augusta on Feb 13, which I am invited to. He said attitudes are changing positively, (for us and his clients), so I am hoping for a good outcome. Be aware that we still cannot have Speed Week until we obtain the permit. The committee is continuing preparations for speed week and I suggest anyone wanting to attend Speed Week exercise some patience while we try to sort out the permit. I will post more information as it becomes available and more discussion will undoubtedly take place at the meeting next Sunday in Melbourne, so those members that can attend, I will see you there.
Rob Carroll President DLRA #12

Rob , thanks for the update. Would you mind posting the steps that are still required in order for this "process" to have closure? ie is it just a matter of attending this meeting in PA on the 23rd? and if this goes well a permit can be granted? or is this just one of the hoops in a longer diplomatic process that needs to done?
Alot of us are struggling to understand how many "gates" the club needs to have opened and passes issued in order for the ok to be given

Maybe you could post in the offline section?

Rob , for the benefit of all the members would you mind letting all know what the items are on the agenda fo this weekends meeting please.... that way at least we have an idea of the dot points and could potentialy let our friends who are attending to pass on relevant info .

thanks
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Any update at all ?

someone from the Vic meeting give us ALL a run down on what was discussed and god forbid news on the politics wit getting all the i's dotted and t's crossed?
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

There were a few of the regular faces who could not attend on Sunday due to the fires, however by 11 o'clock we still filled the room to overflowing.

Basically the committee have continued preparations for the event just the same as every other year, to the stage where all they virtually have to do is make a few confirmation calls and write a few cheques. Unfortunately the Whyalla SES will not be able to attend this year but Rob should be able to secure a replacement today. Everything else is organised.

There were no stewards there for the same reasons above. However, Animal did say that all vehicles would receive a thorough inspection as it has been 3 years since they ran. It has also come to his attention that there are some problems with certain types of braided stainless hoses and that they would be vigorously checking these.

There is a meeting in the Gawler Ranges this Friday 13th February 2009 with the indigenous representatives, Rob Carrol and Doc will be attending this meeting and are very much looking for at least approval to run this year as an outcome of this meeting. This is our last chance for 2009. If they do not get approval, it will be too late to give the appropriate notice to all parties and the meeting will be canceled.
There is little or no opportunity for a postponement, Mt. Ive will be shearing 2 weeks after our dates and to try and get the over 50 additional volunteers and support staff to commit to another date is almost impossible.

As soon as Rob gets back to Pt. Augusta on the Friday he will log on to the forum and put a post in the Australian Event News section.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Thanks for the update.
Sorry I could not make it, Lets hope the meeting on Friday is successful.
Good luck Rob & Doc
GH
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

"" However, Animal did say that all vehicles would receive a thorough inspection as it has been 3 years since they ran. It has also come to his attention that there are some problems with certain types of braided stainless hoses and that they would be vigorously checking these. ""

Clarification needed here, "certain types"? is pink ok?
Tiny[/u]
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Tiny, from the comments made it was a certain brand that was the problem. Just don't know what it is though...

The hose (fuel line) he had as an example had been joined (the rubber inside) halfway along it's length and failed.

Animal did say it would be a good idea for teams to bring out extra lengths of hose as they may require to change them during the week.

Also a factor is the different types of fuel we are getting these days, it can weaken some hoses that previously have been ok.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
momec

Post by momec »

Any one who has run the ethonol blend through certain hose can have a problem.
Sorry I'm so vague also but its only some stuff gets affected.
We are currantly testing E85 (85% ethanol ) and have not found any problems with the commonly used race car type hose.
We have all the most used type hose in glass jars of E85 and are doing longer term tests to monitor the affect and l will report back.

Chris
Acme Racing #251
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

I'm using braided steel , nylon lined oil lines, and rear brake line, all fuel lines are rubber lines (non braided type), capable of handling fuel injection pressure (not that I run any more than 5 psi) , and are ethanol / methanol tolerant.
All the braided lines use aeroquip AN fittings, and they are all new.
I need to know that the above are suitable BEFORE getting to the lake.
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering