wet lake

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

nevco1112

wet lake

Post by nevco1112 »

its me again the lake is currently under water roads cut major flooding at cooper pedy rain is heading south from the north its currently raining here in the mid north of sa. they are saying january is going to be st
inking hot i hope so give the lake time to dry. why us??? :roll: :roll:
nev
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

just checked
11th
nonning = 3.4mm
woomera = 0mm
12th to midday
nonning = 68mm
woomera = 44mm
so its fair to say the lake prolly has a few inches of water on it at present ,on the good news front the water tanks will be chockers
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

A friend mentioned that the moon is at its closest in relation to earth and it got me thinking,
heres some reading on the subject.
1st, Aust moon phases around speedweek 2009 dates,
Mar 4 18:16 FIRST QUARTER
8 01 Earth-Moon at minimum: 367020 km
9 05 Saturn at Opposition
11 13:08 FULL MOON
13 20 Uranus-Sun Conjunction
19 04:16 LAST QUARTER

The biggest full moon the Earth has seen since 1993 is hanging above Salt Lake City tonight. A clear sky has made it easy to check out the glowing satellite as it travels across a backdrop of stars.Tonight, the moon is at perigee, its closest distance to the Earth during its orbit around our world. Because it is so close to the Earth, the moon appears larger.The moon's average distance from the Earth is about 238,855 miles (384,400 km). Tonight it is just 221,560 miles (356,567 km) away.It will be 14 percent bigger in the sky and 30 percent brighter than some other full moons during the year, according to NASA.The moon's proximity to Earth also will affect tides, pulling the tide higher than normal between an inch and six inches.Every month, the oblong lunar orbit brings the moon closer to Earth, but this year the moon is full just four hours after hitting perigee. That means it will be 14 percent bigger and 30 percent brighter than any other full moon this year. The full moon at perigee won't occur again until 2016.

We don't need any more king tides while we are trying to do our thing @ the lake.
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
the randy dero

Post by the randy dero »

I was reading an article about weather forecasts and the thing that struck me was the aboriginal elders long range predictions. Our weather boffins can't get anywhere near the elders, we'd be better off asking them. They taught Lennox Walker how to do it. Cheaper, more accurate and reliable, and more than likely cheaper. How did they do it? Watching the moon.
Stephen
w3stie

Post by w3stie »

Do you have a link to the article? Sounds interesting.
the randy dero

Post by the randy dero »

No, I didn't think to link it. I don't even remember how I found it. It was a long time ago. I'll try to remember how I got to it and hopefully find it again. Come to think of it, I don't think I knew about links then.
Stephen
Rob

Post by Rob »

w3stie,

I stuck "Aboriginal weather forecasts" into Google and got quite a few interesting hits.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Norm

Post by Norm »

Any news on the condition of the lake or should I say how much water there is? Well only a couple of months now. I hope the Gods are looking after us :D
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

Norm,
I will let the forum know how much water is or isn't :D on the Lake Feb 21st 2009. :wink: Until then there is no need to get too excited about anything :idea:
Cheers,
Trevor
Norm

Post by Norm »

Thanks for that but it would be good to get some idea of the condition of the lake as people need to plan and with the other work that is happening we can only hope.

Dam salt bug :D :twisted:
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

for us blokes that that are on the road three days just to get there, letting us know a fortnite out (actually, a week out,,we are packing and on the road that second week), not good :twisted:

didnt the club make the 2008 cancellation a month out :?:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

The later we inspect the lake, the more accurate we can be. things can change rapidly up there. Be grateful a couple of us are willing to give up our time to go & have a look. Keep planning your trip & if the meeting is cancelled, at least you will know before you hit the road. Pete DLRA #6
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

I can well understand the frustrations felt buy some of the competitors, especially some of the longer distance competitors, but now is not the time to let these frustrations get the better of you.
You are not alone, we all want to get out there and see a dry hard smooth surface and go just as fast as we possibly can. Just remember there are things within your control and things that are outside of your control and there is no use worrying about things that you have no control over.
You make plans, contingencies, for whatever is presented to you at the time. My best advice is be prepared for several likely scenarios. Work with the facts that are presented to you and turn them to your advantage.
Dry Lakes Racers are great innovators and think outside the norm when building and racing their vehicles, apply these skills to your preparation, give yourself some alternatives and all of a sudden things don't seem so bad.

The facts at the moment are;
everyone within the club is preparing to race in 2009
there is a meeting mid January to determine if we can use the lake this year
there will be a lake inspection in February
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
PSBTYSON

Post by PSBTYSON »

We are still prepping to make the trip from WA. Time is slipping away way too fast. :(

Fingers crossed all goes to plan.
jrbcastle

Post by jrbcastle »

OLDtimer wrote:The later we inspect the lake, the more accurate we can be. things can change rapidly up there. Be grateful a couple of us are willing to give up our time to go & have a look. Keep planning your trip & if the meeting is cancelled, at least you will know before you hit the road. Pete DLRA #6
There's nothing anybody can do until it's closer to the date it's the same for everyone it could turn nasty on the sunday before the meet there's nothing we can do thats just part of attending this type of racing !!Be glad we have good members in SA that are willing to check the lake 6 weeks before speed week!Keep your chin's up :lol: :lol: