Andy Green visits Lake Gairdner

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

DLRA
Site Admin

Andy Green visits Lake Gairdner

Post by DLRA »

Rod just rang to say that Andy Green (yes, THE ANDY GREEN, current holder of the World Land speed record) had telephoned him today. Andy was at Sydney airport on his way back to the UK.

For those that have been living under the proverbial rock, Andy's team have built a new car, the BLOODHOUND and have been traveling the world checking out the 20 odd sites that they have determined suitable for their exploits (read better than 714MPH).

Andy was at Lake Gairdner yesterday and they drove a Land Cruiser some 5 miles over the lake. There is some surface water that is being blown around by the strong winds that we have all experienced and a few soft spots. In his opinion the Lake is in very good condition, especially for this time of the year and he has indicated that it is the best place in the world that they have seen, bar none. They want to make their attempt at Lake Gairdner.

Rod has made Andy aware of our current situation and is forwarding all the information to him. He has promised to give the Federal and State Government contacts a fair old pasting and bring them up to speed, so to speak. It's fantastic to have some one of his profile going in to bat for us, especially at this time.

There is a meeting at Lake Gairdner next week between Government agency officials and the Indigenous representatives. The DLRA may be asked to attend by have not received an invitation yet.

The darkest hour is just before the dawn......
Last edited by DLRA on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Dr Goggles

Bloody ripper mate!

Post by Dr Goggles »

....fingers crossed everybody. :D :D
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
w3stie

Post by w3stie »

:shock: :shock: This could be very good for the DLRA.
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

"The darkest hour is just before the dawn"
My Grandad taught me that phrase a looong time ago.Long ,long before I was even thought of,he was up against horrible things like Panzers ,Tigers ,and 109E's , when he should have been at home with my Nana(to be).
But he fought,and won! Thats what we Salty's have to do,Fight on and Win.
We (apparently) live in a democratic country where we all have a say,hopefully the Gov't still thinks this way and will see reason in our quest for use of the Lake.
Having an International team such as Noble/Green looking at runnung here is huge news,it has to help persuade the Gov't Dept's in our favour.
If Bloodhound does choose our lake,I'll be there to see history made!
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Count me in as a volunteer as well. I'm sure I could take a month or three off life to be a part of something like that!
scooter trash

go you good thing

Post by scooter trash »

Sounds great we are keen as to get down the the lake take some pics with Andy on there case too that has got to be a good thing... :lol:
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

that is very good news for several reasons , barring anymore rain the lakes a goer, if the bloodhound team act fast enough it could be enough to sway a decision our way ?? and if they infact do use Gairdner for the attempt I also will be there to drool as well , very exciting news indeed
cheers
gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
Rob

Post by Rob »

The Bloodhound team support can only be a good thing for the DLRA and Lake Gairdner as a LSR venue.

I was lucky enough to have been invited to the 200mph club "do" in '98 and met him (Andy) then. He struck me as a very switched on yet unassuming man who took the time to speak with and listen to everyone he met.

Not sure how I'd manage it but somehow I'll be there too when it happens.

Interestingly the Bloodhound site states that 4 of their possible new LSR sites are within Australia. Bulloo Lake (far SW Qld), Lake Frome SA, Lake McLeod WA and Lake McKay NT .

From what I've read thus far, Bulloo Lake is worth an investigative visit as an alternative to Lake Gairdner provided the dog fence doesn't run through the best bit.

Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

You bloody ripper,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :D
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Now that would be exciting... and fast!

On the website they mention the possibility of testing late 2009 so maybe an October window could open up I guess...? I can't imagine them being on time though.

Is it metric or imperial?

rev H.
DLRA Member#412
momec

Post by momec »

We will obviously make sure its and Imperial Lake if royality are visiting Reverand
Chris
Acme Racing #251
Dr Goggles

BSS

Post by Dr Goggles »

Reverend Hedgash wrote:Now that would be exciting... and fast!
On the website they mention the possibility of testing late 2009 so maybe an October window could open up I guess...? I can't imagine them being on time though.
Is it metric or imperial?
rev H.

der, it's Whitworth.......
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

What's a Whitworth? About the same as British Woolworths,Stuff all!
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Bob,
I'll let you know when to pull that special, "one size fits all", spanner out of the drawer...... :lol:
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Thanks Greg,I don't know if they are still available in the local hardware store , they used to be quite cheap , back in the old west!
'El Presidente' likes the "one size fits all" spanner also.