Cudal Airport JANUARY???

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

Rob

Cudal Airport JANUARY???

Post by Rob »

Thought I'd move to a new thread so as not to pollute the Jackson one.

The response hasn't exactly been overwhelming, is there any interest in an event of some sort here? Perhaps a test 'n tune day initially?

The strip surface is said to be good, I will drive out and have a decent look prior if there's enough takers.

It is 40km or so from Orange, 2 or 3km from Cudal. Elevation 394m and runway 1352m but appears to be sealed 200m or so further at it's western end.

Cheers,
Rob
Last edited by Rob on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
flyingwombat

Post by flyingwombat »

Because this was my dumb idea, I will go out on the weekend as it's only an hour from my place and take some pics and post them when I return.
Rob

Post by Rob »

FW,

Nothing dumb about it in my books, and good on you for doing the driving.

Cheers,
Rob
Roller Rocket

Post by Roller Rocket »

Hi,
If you want to save yourself the drive.
You need to speak to Brian at Cobbs Machinery 02 6364 2150.

There was an incident there about 18months / 2 years ago. Some guys from Sydney were using the runway to do stunts on road bikes.
A spectator and a dirtbike were involved in a MVA. Not sure if there has been a conclusion as to how this happened.

BoB.
Rob

Post by Rob »

G'day Bob,

Thanks, I spoke to him yesterday. That was the incident I mentioned in the "Jackson" thread. Apparently they promised not to sue him and then did. No idea of the outcome as I didn't want to press a negative point. Happily he is still receptive to the idea of us using the field.

The last couple of posts here are on Cudal.
http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic. ... 2&start=15

Cheers,
Rob
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

I'm sure I could convince Gaz to get the Jag together in some sort of fashion for some test runs?

Maybe?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Wombat,

No need to go take photos, it's supposed to be 42' both days anyhow.

I just found this video on You Tube. "Stunt Bikes at Cudal Airport".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYSVnd3rTvU

No mention of a prang (though based on the video I'd believe it could have happened). Stick with it as there are a couple of sections of the strip itself and a "semi-aerial" section, no idea how they filmed that. Apparently white lines are not a problem.

I will ring again and arrange a walk along the strip to check the surface, runoff area etc. and discuss arrangements a bit further.

My thoughts were test and tune days initially at least, possibly June and October long weekends to help interested interstaters get there and back.

Cheers,
Rob
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Not Cudal.. but..
I have been thinking about Corowa in southern NSW , its 5990 ft long mostly used by gliders and here's the kicker, next weekend is hosting a car show/extravaganza complete with burnouts etc..makes me a lot more keen to make the time to check it out..
http://www.corowa.nsw.gov.au/visitors/e ... 276698.asp
SPOOK

Post by SPOOK »

Greg, The blurb says the event at Corowa is on the weekend 27 and 28 of Feb. I think!
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

The blurb is probably more correct than my first source, he wasn't too sure what day it was as i was talking to him , much less what date something was happening in the future,
should have cross checked before posting.
:lol:
Rob

Post by Rob »

I figure the best thing about Cugal is zero air traffic and private ownership. Both equal a whole lot less BS and hopefully $$ to boot.

Narromine has gliders and they are the crux of the problem there, or at least, their pilots are. Just protecting their territory of course but it'd be nice if they'd share.

Cheers,
Rob
momec

Post by momec »

Rob
Great work and great find it seems.

My question is both to you and all of interest. We have the green light for one site (Warwick) and the only real thing holding us back is the cost of insurance.
All other costs to run the event are in proportion to what we want to do but the insurance almost kills it.
If you (we) take the next step with Cudal are we prepared to run without insurance?
My personal opinion is l hate insurance with a passion and would be happy to turn up, run and suffer the consequences of my own actions without hesitation but that is my opinion.
I think now is the time for a group discussion on can we run a private race meeting, just a few mates on a blokes private property having a fang.
Everyone please leave your honest opinion.
Can we do this?
Chris
Acme Racing #251
Rob

Post by Rob »

Doug's the one that found the place Chris, I only did some research and made a phonecall.

I think a seperate thread for insurance discussion would be the best bet. It won't mess up this one and it'll be easier to find down the track if needs be.

I'll save my insurance thoughts for that thread if you start it. There's a lot to be sorted yet before we need to worry about insurance for Cudal.

Cheers,
Rob
Last edited by Rob on Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
momec

Post by momec »

Understood Rob
I'll wait also.
Chris
Acme Racing #251
hawkwind racing

some rambling thoughts

Post by hawkwind racing »

some rambling thoughts ,
Interest in this type of event ,will greatly depend on several things ,firstly if gairdner goes ahead this year or not ,if not expect a lot of interest ,if it does then interest may be less ?, secondly how deeply Aus goes into recession ,I would expect many racers to be short of a few $$ and even out of work ,so some even if the interest is there will not be available ,those that can attend may not be able to afford to travel great distances to attend as the events will be of short duration only , insurance will be a killer the recession will unlikely lower costs, and if you have to add in personal insurance for individule racers , public liability as well as all the other costs ,attending will become very expensive ,this will further disuade attending .
It may be worthwhile for each state to find a venue for what would amount to test & tune days /weekends , most aerodromes found so far are rather short allowing only 1 km at most to get up to speed and allowing enough braking distance ,Cooma airport and possibly Jackson would allow a 1 mile run but again braking distance would be at a premium ,so I ask myself would I be prepaired to travel large distances to run a couple of times for no more than 1 day interstate ,or find a much closer venue for the same deal ,further more it takes a lot of time and effort to run an event ,who will run it ,im sure if you are responsible for the event you wont get many if any runs yourself ,will there be enough volunteers to assist Etc .
I wish it was as easy as rolling up and going for it ,or is it ?
cheers
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200