Name the Slaughter Streamliner

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

Trevor : DLRA 136

Name the Slaughter Streamliner

Post by Trevor : DLRA 136 »

Hi All,

Slaughter Motorsport is looking for a name for our Streamliner and we need your HELP. We've been working so hard on the vehicle we've yet to give it a name.

Giving the Streamliner the right name is very important which is why we are asking for your suggestions.

This vehicle will be competing in the F/BFS class. Our aim with this vehicle is to set the World Record in the F/BFS class and ultimately the Australian wheel driven record set by Sir Donald Campbell at 403mph.

For those not familiar with the Slaughter Streamline you can have a look at our website that will fill you in on the project and hopefully give you some naming inspiration. http://www.slaughtermotorsport.com/index.html

Thanks and we look forward to your suggestions.

Regards,
Trevor Slaughter
Trev. DLRA 136
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Hey Trevor, gee that's looking good.

If you are going after the Bluebird record then maybe something that is a hunter of bluebirds?

Foxes, snakes, cats, flying squirrels and some birds (hawks, sparrows) go for them so maybe one of them?

The car is red (or is this going to change?) so that could be a hint towards the species.

I reckon we'd all personally prefer an Aussie native of course than a foreign entity, so what do we have here... maybe some Owls, Hawks,...?

If none of this takes your fancy then "Rosebud", the red sled from Citizen Kane takes my fancy for a number of reasons...

Good luck with it.

rH+.
DLRA Member#412
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

The opposite to blue is yellow

The mortal enemy of the bluebird is the sparrow

Enantiornithes means opposite birds (from Wikipedia), but it just doesn't roll of the tongue does it?

The fastest bird is the Peregrine Falcon. It can fly at speeds of 55 mph horizontally, but when flying downwards they reach speeds of over 270 mph. This speed can not be match by any other animal in the world, be it on land, sea or sky.

It would be nice to have something uniquely Australian in the name and if it had to be bird oriented, plus it should have some of that Aussie humour as well. For example, one could not go past the classic Aussie Crow Call (FARK) resplendent in black livery.

So now all we have to do is come up with some words that will give the right acronym.

EMU - large, fast, flightless Australian bird

Taking a different tack and plays on the owners name; Vanquish? (I like it) Annihilator? Exterminator? Butcher?

Dreaming along on the train this morning - "Butcher Bird"
Last edited by DLRA on Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Trevor

She's looking great! I like the power and air panel I bet it took weeks to build! I always suspected that you were going for a little bit more than a class record - I hope you get it - you deserve it just for your determination.

I think you've already got the name. It will always be the Slaughter Streamliner. What's Phil call it?

Lynchy
momec

Post by momec »

Takes me a while to think Trev, I'll get back to you. :?

Chris
Acme Racing #251
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

I would think the name should come from within the team for it to truly mean something

Peregrine falcon has been used already, ....Hayabusa.... :wink:
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

Like many other record seeking land speed vehicles the naming rights are usually linked to the major sponsor.

B.T.W. Trevor you most likely know that the DLRA timing system is only recognized within the club and although we believe it to be accurate it is not applicable for National or World Records.
It is still the way to go when working up to your goal of setting the class and Australian records.
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Not to hijack the thread, Trevor, but Cookey makes a good point.
Without FIA (Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile - International Sanctioning Body) officials in attendance and FIA recognized timing equipment any record can only ever be what is considered to be a "local" record. For a Australian Record you would need CAMS accreditation.

On the subject of Australian Land Speed Records this is one of my fascinations and have compiled a few pages at http://www.gregwapling.com/hotrod/land- ... australia/

There's also some more stuff at http://www.gregwapling.com/hotrod/land- ... g-history/

I'm sure you will be interested in the page about the Wheel Driven Land Speed Record :D
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Trevor : DLRA 136

Post by Trevor : DLRA 136 »

Howdee every body,
Thanks very much for the comments and suggestions.
I have been in touch with the FIA and have spoken to CAMS as well. All going well we will be on the lake in Mar 2010 where we will be testing (the car, crew and driver) and getting used to the car etc etc. in the class of F/BFS. Depending on how we go as to what will follow and when. I live by a thing that has been said to me and there has not been a truer word spoken, "You have to crawl before you can walk and walk before you can run" Eventually I hope we can run REAL fast.
At present we are on track to be there with only a few small things still up in the air.
Paul; Sorry for not letting you and the team know but untill this last week I have been playing my card or is that intentions very close to my chest. Phil calls it many things depending on the mood. LOL. But often states that we are just, "living the dream"

With regard to the name there have been some good suggestions and some that can not be printed or used.

I will post a list of those that can be a runner in a week or so.

Just another bit of news. We had a TV production team in the workshop the other day doing the first of a series of newsreal stories on the car etc.

Exciting times.

Best regards to all,
Trev. DLRA 136
momec

Post by momec »

Ok Trevor back to the name list.

I like

The Slaughterliner
The Slaughterer

my old favorite is
Nail It
In refererence to the goal maybe
The Gairdner 404
The Southern Cross 404
The Eureka 404
The Southern Flyer
The Gairdner Dreamliner
The Southern Aurora
Acme Racing #251
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'll chuck in "Excaliber", first there's the gist of the legend and then you've certainly got enough bodywork to paint a decent sword down the side.

Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
fredeuce

Slaughter Streamliner

Post by fredeuce »

Well here goes. Given we are talking about a BFS streamliner the record for which is a sizeable chunk of Mach I and the name Slaughter conjures up images of knives, my nomination is "MACH THE KNIFE". Great old song done so well by Bobby Darin. The lyrics seem to fit too.

http://www.bobbydarin.net/macklyrics.html

My 2 bobs worth.
fredeuce
teamleader

Post by teamleader »

You clowns can tell me I'm dream'n if you want but for me 'The Jousting Stick' has a more Australian vibe to it than any of the names posted so far.
DLRA 112

Post by DLRA 112 »

How about 'Dry Reach' :?:
Member DLRA 112.
Rob

Post by Rob »

teamleader wrote:You clowns can tell me I'm dream'n if you want but for me 'The Jousting Stick' has a more Australian vibe to it than any of the names posted so far.

If it's got winglets it could be the Pogo Stick , now THAT'S Aussie :lol:
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.