Lawn Mower

Post by fredeuce »

No cage, no start!
fredeuce
blownvn

Re: Lawn Mower

Post by blownvn »

fredeuce wrote:No cage, no start!

Then how did that go kart get a run in 2009?
fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

blownvn wrote:

Fair question.

The rules say at Rule 4.2 that open cars must have a full cage. No doubt the Scrutineers/Stewards exercised some discretion for the go kart.

Someone else might be able to resolve this question.
fredeuce
DLRA 112

Post by DLRA 112 »

fredeuce wrote:
blownvn wrote:

Fair question.

The rules say at Rule 4.2 that open cars must have a full cage. No doubt the Scrutineers/Stewards exercised some discretion for the go kart.

Someone else might be able to resolve this question.

If I recall the go kart did not go that fast so the discretion was with the stewards at the time. In fact they had trouble getting it to set off the timers.

As for the mower I did see something of that on the TV during the week,
I wonder how something like that would go on the salt :lol: :D Sure will give many ideas as the scale to build would not be as expensive as something bigger. I would want a roll cage.

Will names like Cox and Green Field soon become salt names ?
Member DLRA 112.
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

Settle down chaps :roll: :roll:

We have a rule book that we are supposed to abide by and like the go kart there is not a class for such contraptions to run in.
(The same applies to the NASCAR's that have run up at the lake)
:!: :!: :wink: :wink:
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
DLRA 112

Post by DLRA 112 »

Cookey wrote:Settle down chaps :roll: :roll:

We have a rule book that we are supposed to abide by and like the go kart there is not a class for such contraptions to run in.
(The same applies to the NASCAR's that have run up at the lake)
:!: :!: :wink: :wink:

So what happens if some one plans :shock: a 'landspeed mower record' here ? How would it fit into the rules ? :?
Member DLRA 112.
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

I like the dyno testing video myself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrLEpjAOxBo
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
ben james

Post by ben james »

did the go kart have a seat belt restraint system.
to my way of thinking if it didn't have a seat belt you wouldn't want a roll cage. if it did have a seat belt you would have to have a roll cage.
same principle as a motorcycle, if ever i came off my bike i would want to be as far away from the bike as possible. i reccomend we tell go kart & mower dudes to p##s off. this type of event is not for them.
regards ben
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
project100

Post by project100 »

ben james wrote:. i reccomend we tell go kart & mower dudes to p##s off. this type of event is not for them.

Why ???
momec

Post by momec »

I think what Ben means is in the eyes of the world we could easily become a circus act if we allow every odd ball attraction to run on the salt.
We would get media for all the wrong reasons.

Chris
Acme Racing #251
Dr Goggles

Because. That's why.

Post by Dr Goggles »

project100 wrote:
ben james wrote:. i recommend we tell go kart & mower dudes to p##s off. this type of event is not for them.

Why ???

Meow! Benny......

Because, karts are made for circuits, and our most recent demonstration of them saw one spin.....and then step back into it, which is illegal under the race rules... Mowers are for mowing the lawn the relevance of a class that has to be made from....mowers ....isn't really an issue is it?

Some people , the majority of the competitors ,take this pursuit seriously and the argument that anyone who pays their entry fee deserves a go isn't valid. This is l-a-n-d-s-p-e-e-d racing . Not a circus. A kart can top out over a 1/4 mile if they want to "see how fast it'll go". Small bikes are a point of contention for many , but not me. If we have mowers, Karts, barstools and skateboards then it WILL make a mockery of the small capacity classes.

when it comes to this stuff I feel pretty safe making my opinions known because I am a partner in a car that CANNOT BE USED ANYWHERE ELSE and I'm kind of selfish about the salt and what it means to me. When we sell ourselves to the traditional owners of the lake, when the event appears in magazines when people go all the way out there to check it out and when I somehow try to justify all the time and hard earned that we have thrown into it I want to think that it was fair dinkum.

After saying that anyone here knows that I love taking the piss and I'm not afraid of making a fool of myself......but the salt?......it's precious.

...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
ben james

Post by ben james »

just for the record, i love driving go carts, they are heaps of fun to DRIVE & RACE ON A CIRCUIT THAT IS SUITABLE FOR THEM.
i also respect & love my lawn mower. 2 stroke victa the thing just keeps going. it amazes me every time i start it. :wink:
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
ben james

Post by ben james »

also the story behind the dr goggles photo. in 2004 when dr goggles & i were driving to the lake for the 1st time in my trusty volvo wagon he forgot his prescription sunnies so we stopped at a tool shop in horsham & bought these items to wear over his normal glasses.
come to think of it stew, i think i paid for them & you still owe me the 15 bucks.
check you cats later 8)
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
DLRA 112

Post by DLRA 112 »

project100 wrote:
ben james wrote:. i reccomend we tell go kart & mower dudes to p##s off. this type of event is not for them.

Why ???

Yes why ? If it is built to be safe and it fits into a class I believe it should be allowed to run. They have been running mowers in the US for some time.

Have a look at this team running on Bonnenville that is a full semi trailer workshop set up etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWmozLhuuXo
Member DLRA 112.