New member in SA

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

Mossy

New member in SA

Post by Mossy »

G'day Folks
Just a quick intro from a new member in SA.
First thing you should know about me is I'm a total Anglophile. British bikes (preferably Triumph) and British cars (preferably Rover V8 powered) dominate my life. Motorsport has been limited to a couple of Super Sprints at Mallalla and a few years in the Classic Adelaide (tour group).
Became interested in SLR last year when Mal Hewett arrived at the NDMA Motor Show in Pt Augusta with his Vincent. Had a look at the DLRA website the following week, looked around the shed and found an old Triumph rigid frame and a few other bits. From there I have been slowly collecting bits (a few) and info (a lot). Potential pit crew and myself went out to Lake Gairdner this year for a look around and definitetly liked what we saw.
Then suggested to the wife that a Salt Lake Racebike would be a fun thing to build. Believe it or not she wasn't at all surprised, in fact her exact words were `I knew that would be coming, your not spending any money on a racebike until you've built a new shadehouse'. Fortunately there's a couple of other bikes in the shed I can say the bits are for. Mind you she is now telling everyone we meet that `we' are building a bike to ride at Lake Gairdner.

Not sure if time and budget will see the bike ready for 2011 but will definitely be ready for 2012.

Will start a new post in Build Diaries once its underway.

Cheers Mossy
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Welcome aboard Mossy, good to see the british stuff being used / abused.
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

great to see a new bike member Mossy,, and we all love the vintage bikes as they have that sweet sound we all love
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
Rob

Post by Rob »

Welcome aboard Mossy,

Looking forward to another build diary.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Welcome Mossy.

All I can say is streamliner....

If you're going to build something single use, mosewell make it special.

rH+
DLRA Member#412
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

G'day Rev
I believe these were marketed in the states as Streamliners, is this what you meant?[img][img]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af98 ... d/T110.jpg[/img]

Cheers Mossy[/img]

PS I'm Glad I had Ross Browns instructions on how to add a picture.
DLRA # 959
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

In that direction, basically anything on this page should could serve as your design inspiration:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=str ... rcycle.jpg

Its going to take a while so have fun doing it... make it sexy so it looks good standing still. look at Steve's Waterbottle.

Dik
DLRA Member#412
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Rev

I like the tri car sketch!
ROSS BROWN

More salt needed

Post by ROSS BROWN »

Hey MOSSY
Try adding some more salt to your food :)

Cheers Ross :wink:

[img][img]http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab11 ... 100FIN.jpg[/img][/img]
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

Some fantastic looking stuff on the bing.com web site and Ross, I love your version of the T110.
But, now that I've got you all excited about a streamliner, I'm afraid my bike (at this stage) is just going to be a stripped down, rigid framed Triumph twin, just like they used to run at Bonneville in the 50's.
Got enough bits in the shed now to start putting it together properly, so look out for a new build diary starting in the next week or so.
Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

This 'ol girl had a gutfull of goodies I bet you could use Mossy

A "Spotty Burke" splayed port 8 stud head
Factory E143 comp cams
T110 8.5/1 pistons
Close ratio 'box
And an allergy to anything under 4,000 rpm
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

Tiny
Thats much more what my bike will look like and yes, I would like all them bits. Though the splayed port heads weren't available until 58 so, the way I read the rule book, they aren't eligible in the vintage class.
Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

The head was originally a straight port (cast iron) head and Spotty did the mods himself, the remnants of the original ports were still visible.
This would test the vintage class , although pre 58 but modified, a habit we all know took place in all forms of competition, back when if you needed a trick part, you made it yourself.
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

Thats interesting. Would have been a lot of work though so I think I'll stick to parrallel ports to start with. One thing I am learning is that everyone has a different answer to the same question. The Triumph factory obviously thought splayed ports were better. But when they offered Jack Wilson an alloy head (not sure if it was splayed or not) for their 1956 214mph record run, but Jack stuck with his parrallel port 6T cast iron head. Bob Leppans twin engined streamliner in 65 or 66 used pre-unit engines with parrallel port TR6 heads.
I wonder if the main advantage of the splayed port heads was that it allowed longer inlet tracts without bends.
Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959