wet lake in march because of QLD floods

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

off tap racing

wet lake in march because of QLD floods

Post by off tap racing »

just wondering if anyone thinks speed week will be affected by the QLD floods like in 2007, i missed out that year so i hope i dont miss this year, my thoughts are there further east than 2007, but is the ground water that affects us, any thoughts......
Stayt`ie

Re: wet lake in march because of QLD floods

Post by Stayt`ie »

With the amount of rain we have had up here, its a wonder that the water hasent ran down over everyone below (south) of us :mrgreen: ,, in Queensland any of the water that dosent flow to the coast ends up in the Murray/Darling system, or further west in the Cooper which flows into Lake Eyre,, my understanding is that Lake Gairdner is at approx 100 foot elevation, and given that Lake Eyre is below sea level, not a chance of any water from up here getting to Lake G. 8)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
Last Minute Racing

Post by Last Minute Racing »

Google Earth says elevation of the lake around the canteen is 387 ft for what thats worth.

Thanx
Dave
FASTER! FASTER! BANG F&^*K! F%&*K! F#$%K! s*** MORE MONEY
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

Don't panic !! The only run off Lake Gairdner gets is local, there is no way the Qld. water will ever reach it. Pete. DLRA #6.
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

The water from the Queensland channel country always flows to Lake Eyre, which is about 50ft below sea level. That's where it stays, it can't go anywhere else and it eventually evaporates, so we have more than 400ft of altitude insurance to keep Lake Gairdner safe from our floods. The catchment for Lake G is comparatively very small and comes from the north west. A few years back lots of that water washed onto the lake and brought lots of red dirt and sticks and such with it but that has all settled now. This year's Christmas photos show hard white salt, which is very encouraging. Mind you, we've been tricked like that before. I think it was 2008, some of the SA members went up for the Christmas working bee, posted photos and descriptions of perfect salt but 10 weeks later Speedweek had to be cancelled because of soft, wet salt that bogged cars.
Hopefully that won't happen again.

Cheers
Dave
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!