2011 Speed Week cancelled

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

cled

2011 Speed Week cancelled

Post by cled »

2011 Event cancelled due to extreme weather conditions.
Road between Iron Knob & Lake closed to all traffic as of today Saturday 19th Match 'til further notice.
Cled Davies
Chair
DLRA
DLRA
Site Admin

Re: 2011 Speed Week cancelled

Post by DLRA »

THE EVENT WAS CANCELLED ON Saturday 19th March after heavy rain had fallen in the 4 days leading up to the event.

The first issue for organisers arriving at the lake on the Tuesday 15th was a lack of a salt surface at the ramp ath the edge of the lake. There was just red dirt and rocks for a hundred metres and it would have been extremely difficult for any vehicles to make it to the lake surface. A Native Title inspection was scheduled for Tuesday but was rescheduled for the Thursday, as they would simply not let anyone onto the lake with the entrance in that condition. There was some water around the edge of the lake at this time, but with the Lake surface still in good condition there was still hope at this stage that the meeting could proceed.
By Thursday a monsoonal front had travelled across from Western Australia across to South Australia bringing with it heavy rain. This flooded the lake and eventually closed the road from Iron Knob to the Lake.
The Native Title inspection was pushed back several times as more rain kept falling with a final meeting planned for Sunday 20th March, but it was obvious on the Friday that the event could not proceed. Notifications were phoned through to teams in Adelaide, Port Augusta, Ceduna and Broken Hill, with only one competitor arriving without having known the event had been cancelled. As the rain continued to fall on Friday the phone did not stop ringing at the camp.

There was a General Meeting and AGM on the Sunday morning at the DLRA camp and an auction of some items at the Canteen on the Sunday night.

There would have been around 70 groups at the saltbush camp and about 50 groups at the DLRA camp. The DLRA camp was closed at 10am on Tuesday morning and the only way out was via the Kimba Road, most leaving in convoy.

(Just arrived back at Port Augusta at 3:45pm local time)
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
GSUZ

Post by GSUZ »

hey there, Shane'o here. We made it to mt ive as did some others from perth, tasy, and more from adelaide. We were stuck there for a few days but had a blast as usual. Went hiking and dirt biking and got some great pics with some fellow racers. Ill post pics when i work out how to do it as im new to this. Unfortunately we all missed the meeting and auction at the camp as we found out the day after. Iron knob road was in rough but dry condition when i left yesterday.
Shane Gaghan #805
neilc

Post by neilc »

Next year, could I suggest that the Club sets up a system to send out speed week updates by SMS to all members, or race entrants that submit a mobile number?

I realise that there are coverage issues during transit, but at lest we could get faster information with little extra effort from club officials.

In my case we checked the info number around lunchtime Saturday and all was OK, we were at Mildura. Next time we called was Sunday morning at Port Augusta where it was sprinkling and we found out it was called off. We must have been one of the last calls before the update Saturday arvo :(

Anyway I've had greater disappointments. Looking forward to seeing salt, next year.