New Locations to race

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

legin

New Locations to race

Post by legin »

Just wondering if anyone has looked into a possible racing location in NSW at lake George?
David Leikvold

Re: New Locations to race

Post by David Leikvold »

Nigel,
Yes, we have but to no avail. Lake George isn't viable because it is all private agricultural property owned by multiple owners so there are fences in the way and stuff growing. Every time Speedweek is washed out everyone starts looking for alternate venues but so far nothing obvious has presented itself. if you look back to the forum posts around 2007 and 2008 you will see that plenty of alternatives have been considered and rejected for various reasons. The biggest and most insurmountable reason is size, there just aren't that many long flat dry lakes in Australia, salt or otherwise. The next problem is infrastructure. It would be very difficult to replicate what we already have at Lake Gairdner. Having said that, if a suitable lake could be found we could probably be self sufficient enough to manage an event somewhere else. The original members started from scratch so we could do it again if we needed to. With GPS surveying, the TAG Heuer wireless timing system and in car GPS systems we could probably make a decent go of it but finding the venue is the problem. By all means, go hunting, you might find something nobody else has noticed. The main criteria should include a straight flat dry surface at least 3 miles long, all weather access roads, reasonable proximity to civilization, environmental concerns, noise considerations, Flying Doctor access and preferably in an area within 2 or 3 days drive of most members. Let us know what you find!

Cheers
Dave :D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
momec3

Post by momec3 »

I will post a new thread soon. We have found that place........... Stay tuned. :wink:

Chris
Chris
project100

Post by project100 »

momec3 wrote:I will post a new thread soon. We have found that place........... Stay tuned. :wink:

Chris

Any clues ?????
I nearly had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met.
momec3

Post by momec3 »

OK
See the thread on Bilpea Claypan.
Chris