Bilpa Morea Claypan

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

momec3

Bilpa Morea Claypan

Post by momec3 »

Our team members have put considerable research into a new alternate race venue.
It is a place called the Bilpea Claypan in Qld.
It is reputed to be the largest claypan on the planet.
The surface when dry has a soft crust for about half an inch thick with a firm base.
The locals have tested it and you can sit a Cruiser on 160 kmh for as long as you like till you get bored.
If you grade the top 1/2 inch the surface is then hard packed and should suit what we need.
It is well big enough to grade out a 9 mile track with ample runoff area.(Bit like the Lake.)
Its located relatively close to Bedourie (bit north of Birdsville.)
The access is Bitumen with short gravel then short Station road to access.
Its located completly on the station.
It doe's not have Native tital or National Park.
Our team member Savro is best mates with the station managers brother, the manager has been approached and is on our side.
Savro and Bridgey know the Mayor of Bedourie , he has been approched with our intentions and would be behind any racing activity 100%.
To that end he has offered assitance with council graders or equipment to help an event happen as required.
He owns the local roadhouse and accomidation.
He of course is looking for something in return, he wants to promote Bedourie and bring people into the area, spend some bucks locally and tell the world what a great place it is to visit. Its like so many outback towns that struggle to attract tourists so maybe we can promote a win/win.
The Mayor has been Mayor of Bedourie forever and is likely to stay that way.
The Claypan is currantly underwater as we would expect but is normally bone dry in September. (This is not a normal year)
The Bedourie Cup is run one weekend each September. (Its big if your in the Bush, comes after the Birdsville cup)
The weekend before or after it have a bloody big ute Muster at Bedourie like the Deniliquin one.
If we slotted a race meeting in between it might make logical sense?
This is if we want a few thousand paying spectactors. This is open to debate, I'm just throwing options.

I,ve spoken with Cled about this and told him I would post this information on the Forum.
He said provided the club is interested we could use either GPS or wireless timing equipment.
This is a solid firm place to race, still early days but we could race there this year if the whole club wants it and wants an alternate back up venue.
Most of us racers have vehicles race ready that are still in one piece. This is not a test and tune, its WOT racing and could be set out the same as Gairdner.

A lot of proposed venues have been explored but this one could give us a unique option that is not length limited and this would make it unique in the world for a dirt track and the locals actually want to help us.
For this to move foward we need total support and firm commitment to race by many participents both racers and our volunteer crew.
Our team will not continue planning without this......If it dries out by June/July we need firm racer numbers and genuine commitment to race so have a think before you reply and if you have a genuine interest put your hand up.
If this is to go ahead it will need to be a total DLRA effort and also a huge feat to pull off this year but if you want it this oppertunity exists........................

Regards Chris
Last edited by momec3 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris
PeterB

Re: Bilpea Claypan

Post by PeterB »

Good work Chris ...

... I would sure like to assist, albeit as a volunteer and not a racer

Cheers, Pete
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Sounds very good Chris
I may be back from the US depending on the dates but the bikes will still be in transit .Can't please everyone , and i'll help if i can
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

A bit more info here..

http://www.rgsq.org.au/25-140c
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
project100

Post by project100 »

Fantastic...Sounds great. You have my support. Let me know if I can help in anyway.
I nearly had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met.
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Sounds like you've answered many of peoples questions alreadey which is great.

My only question is, "Can you move it a lot closer to Victoria????"

I wonder what tyre choices need to be made...

Good report, best of luck.

Dik
DLRA Member#412
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Sounds good to me, I'd support an event there. :D :D

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
Rob

Post by Rob »

Well done guys, I'm already signed up for this one!

Google maps says 1999km from Richmond (to Bedourie, 90km less to the claypan) so a couple hundred more than Gairdner from here.

Chris, everything online says "Bilpa Morea Claypan" btw.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Sheesh, 2077 kilometres from Sunshine Victoria (to Bedourie), and Google maps shows the best route as going past Port Augusta!!!!

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sour ... 55&t=h&z=5
DLRA Member#412
penny

Post by penny »

you also need to factor in the dirt section of the trip if coming from the south .
glengowrie annexe of the Institute of Backyard Studies
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

A comfortable days drive to go do some LSR, how good is that, :D :D,,,
Chris, cant make it this year, as along with Greg and others, myself and bike will be in the USA, 8) ,, however, theres always next year, and i am more than happy to help, ooohh and race too, :wink: :D ...
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
project100

Post by project100 »

Reverend Hedgash wrote: and Google maps shows the best route as going past Port Augusta!!!!
http://www.whereis.com.au is saying the best way is ...Melbourne-Tocumwal-Griffith-Cobar-Bourke-Cunnamulla-Charleville-Bedourie.
I'd be keen to do that drive as I've never been out way before.
I nearly had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met.
penny

Post by penny »

glengowrie annexe of the Institute of Backyard Studies
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

You all may need to relicence, SCTA is quite fussy about Rookie runs and licencing at El mirage and for good reason , esp for the experianced salt racer that thinks they have the experiance needed, its much more loose and soft spots can pull you around a bit ..
And no salt damage :lol: i realy like that bit , maybe we will bring my roadbike :twisted:
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Ok Guys
I'm trying to individually send you all PM's to ask you to send me your email address's but the PM machine keeps stuffing up. So do that, send them to me and I'll keep you all up to date.
Yes its Bilpea Morea but I was going by memory as all the info went back home in the wrong suitcase and I'm in Tennant atm.
Thanks for the great research, it proves a group working together can do better than an individual. Tiny's photos are great, if we remove the star picket the only thing in the way is the horizon. Its a bloody big flat place. The surface looks good. It can't stay wet forever and if you study the weather, rainfall section September/Oct seems to be about right.
Greg thanks for the El Mirage info. The Doc has asked about tyre choice? I've NFI but you may know more.

2027kms, Suck it up big boy, the closest Qlders to Lake G are 2250km, ask Stay'ie or Savro how far they travel.

Face it, if we had a dry hard place to race after the shit we've been through and keep coming back we would travel double that.

Thanks for the positive feedback so far.

Chris
Chris