West Australian Timing Association.

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

FIL

Re: West Australian Timing Association.

Post by FIL »

Lake Lefroy is another obvious option, which I beleive Rossco also used in the past... I'm sure there's a reason it hasn't been brought up before now tho... Anyone know why it would not be a good choice?
FIL

Post by FIL »

by the way, here's a report from the last time the salt works license was renewed (feb 2010, for 5 years - so we've got a few years to go if we were to campaign to have a few conditions inserted in the next license with regards to opening the lake up for public access as a sporting venue)

http://portal.environment.wa.gov.au/pls ... ORAH_7.PDF

also in that report, the estimated salt reserves are approximately 70 million tonne and the new license allows them to take 200,000 tonne per year...

oh... also, there's a few places mentioned here...
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Land ... g/General/
hellzombie

Post by hellzombie »

Thanks for the input teamleader (and FIL). Sounds like the saltworks have it sussed with the pristine condition angle. No way they'd budge if there was a chance the cars may adulterate it - although kind of funny how the saltworks train rolls past our Cunderdin farm all the time with the salt in open carriages :roll:

Anyway, as FIL mentioned, surely Lake LEfroy is a possibility - wonder why it's never been tried for before?
boyracer

Post by boyracer »

G'day western brothers.
Lefroy has been mentioned before.
I think the main problem was the 'leasee' WMC.
I have been on the lake around Kambalda and found it v. stable over many visits .....we used to test & tune for speedway on it. I did many a flying mile on my GSXR 7/11 to 200ish and drove an F series at 130 towing Rosco in the invader (2?) for a camera crew. The 24 hour enduro barely made a mark on it.
I don't work in those parts anymore so feel free to investigate. Call some locals?....speedway in Kambalda, Bikeworks in Kal', WMC?
Good luck.
If its got b**bs or wheels its bound to be trouble!
teamleader

Post by teamleader »

Yes it has been investigated - a few times actually. The mining company lease, thin unstable salt, proximity to built a up area and I believe a causeway across it all impede our chances. When I checked a few years ago I found that Rod Hadfield among others had thoroughly investigated and come away empty handed.
FIL

Post by FIL »

I've just been poking around on Google maps and looking for big white spots on the satellite view...

Have come up with the following list... (some of which have already been mentioned)

1. Lake Brown: 5-6 mile course

2. Lake Deborah East: 10-12 mile course (not likely, as mentioned already in this thread - it may be possible to work around the saltworks leases, but no point pissing them off if there is an alternative)

3. Lake Lefroy: ~10 mile course on the south part of the lake. (as mentioned above, Lefroy is probably not the best candidate)

4. Mongers Lake: ~9.5 mile course (This is a long, narrow lake, as long as it's wide enough for a safe course, it might be a goer)

6. Lake Grace North: ~5.5 mile course (in the satellite view, part of the lake is water, if that dried up nice and hard over summer, about an 8.5 mile course would be possible)

7. Lake Grace South: same as Lake Grace North, this is partially filled with water in the satellite view, if it were all dry, and hard, it'd possibly provide about a 9.5 mile course, although it does squeeze down to less than a mile across at one point, which may not be ideal.

8. Yarra Yarra Lakes: As mentioned earlier in the thread, this lake has a section that (at least from a satellite) looks suitable for a course of roughly 11 miles in length.

Has anyone any further opinions or knowledge about any of these lakes? (The names I've given are the ones used on Google Maps, so if you go there and type the name in, you'll see the lakes I'm talking about right away)
Jeff lemon

Post by Jeff lemon »

Hi guys

Thought i,d get the ball rolling, three of us are planning to catch up Sunday 4th,Dec i thought we could open this to anyone who,s interested so were not just names on a computer.
No plans for where but thought somewhere by the river where theres a barbeque for Sunday lunch any suggestions?

Jeff Lemon
Kewasaki 454
The Cups half full!!
gidge348

Post by gidge348 »

Hi Jeff,
That sounds like a plan, I will be there.

Just a suggestion, if you want a place by the river with barbeques maybe a suggestion could be Point Reserve in Bassendean. It has barbeques and it is not that big so we should all be able to find each other?
Jeff lemon

Post by Jeff lemon »

Yep thats the place i was thinking of.

Right Sunday 4th Dec 12.30 ish Point Reserve Bassendean it is.
The Cups half full!!
teamleader

Post by teamleader »

Just got home from the get together at Point Reserve. 6 people showed Jeff Lemon, Phil Eggleston, John Kirchner and his son JJ - all motorcycle guys and Ian Wood and Ian Dalby both car guys. It was very much a small social gathering with some talk of trying to find a suitable venue for a test and tune day here in the west and a bit of discussion about the christmas busy bee and the march race meet. It was good to meet a couple of fellow fans. I know there are more of you out there though and so perhaps after the March race meeting we could try again.
dplecko

Post by dplecko »

Lake Lefroy (land yachts) and Lake Perkolilli (google Lake Perkolilli for some fantastic *history*) are both very much possibilities
Jeff lemon

Post by Jeff lemon »

Hi

There will be a get together at Phils Sunday 27th,day after Australia Day,4pm barbie will be on if you want to bring something to throw on.
33 Hinkler Rd Kalamunda Ph92934416.

See you there

Jeff Lemon
The Cups half full!!
walkerwindsor

Post by walkerwindsor »

hi,

I am in West Australia and looking to meet and have a few beers with any or all WA members.
I am currently building my EA Falcon to compete sometime in the near future. I am hoping to glean some advice on roll cages etc. for my vehicle.

I would also be very interested in forming a group (even unofficially) for WA members. I live in the Northern Suburbs of Perth.

Next time you get together I will try to make it.....

Thanks,

Paul Walker
0438 925537

walkerwindsor@yahoo.com.au
dplecko

Post by dplecko »

The track in from Minnipa is a much better option than the track from Wirrulla even though some maps would have you think otherwise. Both don't have 24 hour fuel.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Has anyone from WA looked at Lake Rebecca? it's around 150km NE of Kalgoorlie.

That's where the Hyundai I-30 commercial was shot relatively recently.

Just a thought,

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.